PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone DOT Studio ?

Hogfullofblues
March 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Lookey what I found (new to me anyway).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Studio-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=518706

Looks good on paper. I've decided to sell or trade one of my guitars and am thinking of this one as the replacement. Not too many negatives in the reviews I'm reading but a tendency to feedback is consistently mentioned. I'm guessing for a bedroom player like me that wouldn't really be an issue.

Any fretters have any opinions on this model?

Thanks!

Leonidas
March 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Any fretters have any opinions on this model?

Yep... I WANT ONE!! :DR

Been eying up an epi Dot for a while... it'll probly be my next guitar....

t_ross33
March 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM
You will love it! I played an Epi Dot in my search for a hollowbody, and liked it very much. Was seriously considering the "Studio" model - I like the stripped down sensibility. Only reason I went with a Washburn HB-30 was my local music store carries Washburn - oh, that and it's totally SUH-WHEET!

Feedback won't be an issue for a home player. I can get my Cherry Bomb to howl pretty good, but only at pretty good stage volume. What it CAN do quite easily is controlled feedback...I like that alot :DR

Good luck! Give one a try at a local music store before you buy, if at all possible. I figure it's always best to play before you pay.

Then again, if you don't like it, I'm sure one of your FretNet bro's will gladly take it off your hands :D

Trev

Fingers
March 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
They are one of the most versatile guitars you can buy..............

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/DSC01638.jpg

I have a Sheraton and it is stunning..........you don't buy one to play Metallica, Kiss or any heavy metal stuff.........but anything else is fair game.

Get one and you won't be disappointed..........From Chuck Berry to late night Jazz.............335, Bad Monkey, Milk Box compressor, clean amp and you are set up.

Leonidas
March 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I have a Sheraton and it is stunning..........you don't buy one to play Metallica, Kiss or any heavy metal stuff.........but anything else is fair game.

Get one and you won't be dissappointed..........From Chuck Berry to late night Jazz.............335, Bad Monkey, Milk Box compressor, clean amp and you are set up.

Man you're REALLY gettin the GAS attack goin here for me.... I've been putting off getting a good semi-hollow for a while. What is the main difference between the Sheratan and the Dot? I know the Sheratan has got the fancier inlays and whatnot.. which is pulling me toward it. :) But sound-wise, are they the same?

Fingers
March 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Man you're REALLY gettin the GAS attack goin here for me.... I've been putting off getting a good semi-hollow for a while. What is the main difference between the Sheratan and the Dot? I know the Sheratan has got the fancier inlays and whatnot.. which is pulling me toward it. :) But sound-wise, are they the same?

They are identical apart from the fancy stuff...........best bang for your buck ever..............

duhvoodooman
March 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
At $200, the Dot Studio is a steal. $250 ain't too shabby either, if you can't live with white or worn brown. The only real drawback to the Studio model is that you only have one volume and one tone knob. Which isn't a huge deal, IMO, unless you'd hoped to install four push-pull pots like some of the maniacs around here.... ;)

Hogfullofblues
March 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM
The deal is done and this was the final choice!

Played 5, preferred the DOT over the Studio (diff pickups maybe?), liked this one the best. Then was talked into trying an EPI LP. Man, that was a very sweet guitar and started me thinking that way. But once my "lets make a deal" salesman knocked another hundred off the price of the DOT, that was it. He had to list it as a scratch/dent blem to get me the price, then hide it off to the side when he called the manager to approve it. I love this guy and just hope he keeps his job.
Just got it home and late for dinner, so it's a quick chew and choke and then time to give her a proper try.
Thanks to all for great advice.

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Congrats Hog!! Can't wait to hear you post some tones from it. I wonder, does it go southern? I am going to surf over to that link and see if you posted something.

EDIT: you sure did!, you old dawg, I mean Hawg. :D

Danzego
March 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Played 5, preferred the DOT over the Studio (diff pickups maybe?), liked this one the best. Then was talked into trying an EPI LP. Man, that was a very sweet guitar and started me thinking that way. But once my "lets make a deal" salesman knocked another hundred off the price of the DOT, that was it. He had to list it as a scratch/dent blem to get me the price, then hide it off to the side when he called the manager to approve it. I love this guy and just hope he keeps his job.
Just got it home and late for dinner, so it's a quick chew and choke and then time to give her a proper try.
Thanks to all for great advice.

Nice buy, dude. Those Epi LP's are pretty sweet, though. That's what I decided on a couple months ago. Maybe your next purchase, eh? ;)

Next up for me: Fender Standard Strat. :)

Ro3b
March 19th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Heh. You've got to love those Musician's Friend customer reviews.

Be sure to bring the bass and mids down some, because this hollow body produces plenty of those.

And in the very next review:

Now then, the con of this guitar is really the fact that you can't get any bass tone at all.

At any rate, that sure looks like a great axe. Could you comment a little more about the difference between the Dot and the Studio?

Hogfullofblues
March 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yea Dan, that LP was extremely nice, I'm still not sure if I made the right choice. But ur right, I'll have to try one on sooner or later.
Rob, I assume you are asking about the tone diffs. First, the diff wasn't huge, but noticeable to me at a Guitar Center on Sunday with all the typical noise. The Studio seemed hotter, basier and easier to get growling, the DOT was tamer but will still smoke and seemed to have more range of tone.
I just got back from GC with it, had a little prob with the truss rod and they adjusted the pickups while they were at it. So now we'll see what those changes did. Will post a bunch on it then.

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
My next guitar will be a semihollow. I really want a Reverend Club King 290 or a Manta Ray 290. Are you listening Santa?!?

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Played 5, preferred the DOT over the Studio (diff pickups maybe?), liked this one the best.
So you got the Deluxe model? SWEET!! Those are a great deal these days. I saw MF has been selling them for the same price ($400) as the regular Dot, and I don't know why anybody would buy the latter at that pricing. EDIT: While they may not be the actual Gibson version (see Fingers' note below), I'd guess that the '57 Classics that come in the Deluxe are a step up from the stock Dot p'ups, which are kinda bland....

Danzego
March 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Yea Dan, that LP was extremely nice, I'm still not sure if I made the right choice. But ur right, I'll have to try one on sooner or later.

Oh, I'm sure you made the right choice. Now you just have to wait awhile and make the OTHER right choice, ya see? ;)

Fingers
March 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM
The Deluxe comes with Gibson '57 Classic p'ups, so I'm quite sure that's why you preferred them. Gibson uses them in some of its most expensive models, including the ES-335 Dot Reissue.

No, no, no, no,no..........................they are Epiphones own version of the 57Classic.......

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/DSC01514.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/DSC01511.jpg

These are the pups in my 2006 Sheraton............they are good and a good swap is to fit those Gibby 57's..........with a 57 Classic in the bridge position.

Nice buy.....enjoy

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
No, no, no, no,no..........................they are Epiphones own version of the 57Classic.......
As Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that!" Thanks for posting that, Fingers. When they said '57 Classics, I assumed they meant the Gibby model. My bad! I'll bet they hope everybody makes that assumption, huh? ;)