PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nelskie, tell us more!

Robert
January 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I've been waiting to see if you'd tell us more about your upcoming guitar CD you're working on. What's the scoop - details please!?

When, how, who, samples, whatever, pleeeze?

:R

Nelskie
January 7th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Robert - I'm currently in the "preliminary" stages of my recording project - actually "pre-preliminary" may be a more accurate description.

I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned somewhere that I picked up a Zoom MRS-8 DAW (digital audio workstation), and Sony's Acid Music software program. These are the two primary tools I'll be using to record / edit / produce / master the songs.

This past summer / fall, I'd visited with a number of my friends who had experience in recording their own original music. The one thing I gleaned from those discussions was that I needed to come up with a game plan for my own project. In other words, I needed to assess and prioritize a number of things. After a few "brain-storming" sessions, I broke it down into three main categories: 1.) Technical - knowing how to effectively use the tools I would be using to record my material; 2.) Sound - what instruments / amps / tones would be used for each specific song, as well as understanding the "mechanics" of sound (transferrance, movement, positioning, etc.); and 3.) Production - Developing my musical ideas fully through unique / effective guitar playing techniques, song arrangements, vocals / harmonies, etc.

Since this is my first "real" project, I decided that a "learn first, play second" attitude would provide the greatest benefit for me. And, would most likely produce the best end-result. That being said, I've been putting in the time in the areas where I am the weakest - namely the technical / production aspects: working with the DAW, microphone usage / placement; understanding the mechanics of sound as it relates to recording; and getting comfortable with the software package I have. Even though these things obviously take up a lot of time, I feel that they are absolutely essential to the overall success of the project. The learning process, I might add, has been very enjoyable, and actually quite rewarding. When the time finally comes to lay down the actual working tracks, I am postivive that all of the preliminary work I've done will allow me to channel all of my energies into the music, and make it the best it can possibly be.

I should also point out that it hasn't all been "nose to the grindstone" stuff. I have laid down a bunch of rough tracks, and have put together a lot ideas for new songs and / or parts of songs. Everything's still pretty rough at this point, but overall, I'm very satisfied with the structures of the songs I do have, and perhaps most importantly, the "vibe" of the material. I also have some very talented musician friends, and would like to work them in on a few of the song(s). Since I'm trying to focus in on their particular tone and playing style, it's taken me awhile to decide which songs I'm going to use them on, and to find / develop arrangements that will work the best with my own playing preferences.

I've been keeping a journal of my work so far, though most of it is bits and pieces of scattered thoughts and ideas. Perhaps some time down the road I'll develop it into a more readable narrative, and post a few excerpts here on the Fret.Net. When things start coming together in more substantiative form musically, I'll be sure and share some of it here. ;)

SuperSwede
January 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I´m looking forward to hear about your progress!
Good luck with your recordings :)

Robert
January 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Me too, I'm really eager to hear Nelskie's stuff! Please post some clips when you have something done - rough drafts are okay too!

jpfeifer
January 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Nelski,

I'd love to hear some of your tracks when you get them recorded. It looks like you're doing a great job in setting up you project and pulling your material together. There's nothing like hearing your finished tracks through those speakers for the first time, all of the time and effort spent is worthwhile.

-- Jim