PDA

View Full Version : Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo

MPsound
March 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Would the 50W VK 112 be good for a band practice situation, and be able to get over a drummer, or would the 100W 212 be much better suited for that as well as small gigs?

TS808
March 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
A 50-watt, all tube combo should be plenty of power for you, both for practice as well as small gigs. 100 watts might be overkill in fact, especially with the dual 12-inch speakers.

Spudman
March 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
The Valve king is a great amph and it should be able to cover almost anything that you can throw at it. Heck, Michael Schenker still uses 50 watt Marshall's.

Sblack
March 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I played a VK 112 in Sam Ash a few months back and was mystified by the three-dimensional tone. It is loud, sweet sounding, and very versatile with its class A/AB tone structure. It sucks that they don't include a footswitch, though.

NPauly
March 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I played a VK 112 in Sam Ash a few months back and was mystified by the three-dimensional tone. It is loud, sweet sounding, and very versatile with its class A/AB tone structure. It sucks that they don't include a footswitch, though.

I can second this. I played a VK 112 at the 14th St Guitar Center here in NYC last night and I darn near walked out of the store with one. The sales lady offered me a returned one for $380 out the door. I really had a rough time walking away from the deal because it would have been covered by the Guitar Center 30 day return policy, so if there was anything wrong with it I could have just returned it for a new one. At any rate, this amp sounds great. I tried it with strats and humbuckers as well as solid-bodies, hollow-bodies, and semi-hollows and it sounded awesome with all of them -- IMO, not too many amps can pull that off ...

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Spud, or anyone else that has played both: could you tell me how it compares to our C-30s?

The Valve king is a great amph and it should be able to cover almost anything that you can throw at it. Heck, Michael Schenker still uses 50 watt Marshall's.

Spudman
March 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'd say that it's a little more versatile than the C30's.

marnold
March 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'd say that it's a little more versatile than the C30's.
Really? That's high praise then, considering what I've heard about the C-30s.

NPauly
March 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Spud, or anyone else that has played both: could you tell me how it compares to our C-30s?

-- Clean Channel
More smooth and round sounding (w/out the bright switch engaged)
Entering Fender territory (w/ the bright switch engaged)

-- Drive Channel
Somewhat reminiscent of Marshall -- definitely not a Fender Blues Deluxe drive sound here (also, much tighter than my Traynor YCV20WR)

Does anyone know what brand of stock tubes they come with? I want to try a set in my Traynor and see if I can get a drive somewhere near the VK's.

MPsound
March 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Appreciate all the feedback! I have the chance to pick up the VK 112 for $350, and although I do not really need it now, I have G.A.S. :D That, and I thought I could use it when I start to jam with my cousins in the very near future - just for fun in their garage sort of band. To throw a wrinkle in there though, I can likely get the 212 for about $480 – so I’m really tempted to go that route. Doesn’t seem I need the extra juice, but the 2x12” are tempting to me – downside is lugging that size box around I guess. Hmmm...

Spudman
March 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
With a 1x12 it is easier to haul and most of the time you can crank it a bit more than a 2x12. Plus, later if you need it, you can add a groovy cabinet of your choice and you are all set.

FYI - I've seen some 1x12 VK's for under 3 bills.

MPsound
March 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Spudman! Good guidance for sure. Actually, these amphs I’m referring to are brand new - special sale price... :)

MPsound
March 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Checked out these amphs a bit at a local store - It seems the Classic 30 (1x12) puts out more volume, at least what I perceived in a short comparison, than the VK112 50 watter. At lower settings I think the 30 seemed closer to the VK212 at the same volume setting. Not that I'm just looking for volume, but found this interesting.