PDA

View Full Version : Squier '51 bridge pickup different?

M29
March 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hello,

I was on the Squier 51 Modders forum and noticed that someone said their '51 sunbrust pickups didn't sound as good as their other '51's., I don't mind my neck pickup on my sunburst '51 but my bridge pickup sounds honky has heck. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Also I read that the sunburst neck was somewhat thicker. Do you guys notice any of this? I only have one '51.

Thank you

M29

Spudman
March 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Those pickups should sound pretty good. I'd check to make sure that it is wired correctly first of all.

marnold
March 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM
It would not surprise me in the least if they were different, although I'd doubt that it has much to do with the color. On that forum, people have reported bodies of varying thicknesses, different fretboard radii, there's a ton of different pickguard hole locations, etc.

I must confess that I really like my '51. With the exception of the high E pole piece on the neck pickup, I love the sound that both pickups give. The only thing I would swap out is the tuning pegs for something with a higher ratio. I've had no troubles with the bridge that so many have complained about. I have considered swapping that out with a GFS one, not because I don't like the stock one, but because I want a black one. Obviously, none of these "mods" are high priority. My Charvel's going to get all my mod lovin'. After that, all bets are off :)

jasongins
March 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I've been looking for a word to describe my bridge pickup. I was leaning toward "froggy,' but "honky" is much better. I really like my '51, but this is the one thing about it I dislike most and would consider doing something about. Can anyone verify if this schematic (http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/0325100-wiring.pdf) is accurate? Is it possible to remove the bridge pickup without taking the strings off? Lastly, can anyone recommend a replacement bridge pickup with more preferable tone?

M29
March 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hello,

Thank you guys. I have not had any trouble with my bridge either. I did shim the neck some to get the strings down closer to the fretboard but my bridge has never been a problem. My tuning keys are fine as well, I don't even plan to replace them.
I thought the comment on the color was surprising too, I imagine they are built in the same place.
One complaint I do have with the neck pickup is that the high E just about disappears when I do some bends and all my strings are close to perfectly aligned over the pole pieces. Is this what yours is doing marnold?

I just did a full shielding job on mine including a shield for all the wires going through the body, but it is wired correctly. I did not shield the humbucking and I don't see any need to it is quiet. I too like the sound of both pickups together but the bridge pickup has always irritated me in some way and I think it is somewhat harsh and honky. I have lowered in trying to change the sound and it did help some.
I too would like to replace this pickup but there are so many out there and without hearing it in my guitar I am hesitant to buy and expensive one.

The Squier schematic you listed jasongins is correct in my opinion and that is what I used on mine.
I added a Gibson style three way switch and a tone control. I tried my darnedest to put a three way Fender switch in and I have one still in the package if anyone needs one. But I don't like anything by my palm when I am strumming or palm muting and I could not find a place that felt comfortable and went with the Gib style switch. Actually I like the look of the Gibson three way up in the upper pickguard area it kind of breaks up the vast are of this large style pickguard.
I see no way to get the pickups out without taking the strings off or taking the bridge with the strings attached and I don't think I want to take that bridge off too many times this basswood is like jello. I drilled and hand chiseled my route for my Gibson style 3 way switch and that wood it (easy) to carve and I mean easy:eek:
M29

marnold
March 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
One complaint I do have with the neck pickup is that the high E just about disappears when I do some bends and all my strings are close to perfectly aligned over the pole pieces. Is this what yours is doing marnold?
I don't have to bend anything. If I play on the B string and move up to the E, there is a noticeable drop in volume. I spent a part of this morning looking at a bunch of pickups online and none of them have the pronounced arched stagger of the 51. Many of them had the pole piece on the E string higher than the B string.

M29
March 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Hello marnold,

I wonder if the problem might be in the pole. Maybe the make up of the ceramic pole is weak. The coil goes around all the poles the same so I don't know what would make one pole weaker then another, especially when the string is acting up right over the magnet like yours.
I am going to start looking for a pickup, maybe two for this guitar but I want good ones and am afraid to buy with out hearing them.

All the best on your pickup quest, I will see what I can find too.

M29

marnold
March 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Well, I just got done doing a little more "research" (Oh no! I have to play my guitar!) using the neck pickup and multiple models on my AD30VT. It appears that what you are describing is in fact what I have been perceiving. I guess a lot of the licks I know involve a bend immediately on the high E. If I played scales up and down, the volume was pretty consistent (although I think the E was very slightly lower in volume but not to the point of being an issue). As soon as I bend the E, though, the volume drop off is pretty significant. I have no idea why that is. Beyond that I really like the tone of that pickup.

M29
March 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
You got it marnold! That is just what I have and I like that neck pickup just fine.

Will have to see what is out there in a humbucking for the bridge:R

Thanks for the info that helps me, I felt so all alone...

M29

M29
March 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Well after much searching for another pickup for my '51 I thought I would try adjusting it some to see if I could get a better sound. I adjusted my humbucker down lower last summer after reading some posts suggesting this might take some bite out of it and found it did. Well I kind of accepted it and was not truely happy with it. Today I though shoot I am going to bring the bass end up to get a fatter sound that I was looking for and then I thought I will adjust the high end down to ease up on some of the mids and treble and I am very happy with the results. I can get some good chunkin from the low notes and a good growl out of the mids and the highs are not irritating me anymore. I am happy now! Well... for now anyway. I hope it lasts.

It looks kind of weird but who says they have to set flat:D

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/51hb.jpg

M29

Danzego
March 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Actually, a properly set up pickup generally doesn't sit flat, for the very reason you tilted yours. Mind you, judging by the angle you have that at it's more extreme than what you would normally see, but the sentiment is the same. ;)

M29
March 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Danzego,

Yeah it is a pretty radical tilt, I was going for an extreme to see if it would do what I thought it might. I will back it down gradually and see where I end up.

Thanks again.

M29

marnold
April 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
You got it marnold! That is just what I have and I like that neck pickup just fine.

Will have to see what is out there in a humbucking for the bridge:R

Thanks for the info that helps me, I felt so all alone...
I think that when I finally do my pickup upgrade on my Model 7, I'm going to put the stock Jackson neck pickup in my '51. I like that pickup well enough and the notes don't disappear when strings are bent.