PDA

View Full Version : DIY - Is it worth it?

Tim
March 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Does anybody dislike plumbing as much as me? My wife wanted me to clean the hair out of a bathroom sink drain. It was suppose to be a simple job. Well I ended up removing the trap, which was tighten so much I cracked it just trying to loosen it. With all the crud and corrsion, I ended up replacing the entire drain, stopper, trap and plunger. Of course my plumber's puddy had dried up so I had to buy a new container of it. A simple task that should of taken 5 minutes ended up taking 3 hours (counting the trip to the hardware store for new parts) and about $35.00.

ted s
March 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
If you are comfortable with that work then I would say yes. Not certain but I doubt you could get a plumber to show up for less then 75 clams.

Tone2TheBone
March 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Think of how much you would have spent if a plumber did it though.

With me it's car repair. Used to do it myself....not anymore. Too much work and bruised up hands. Besides all our vehicles are newer models so you can't really work on those much anyway.

Mark
March 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Ok guys your hitting home now LOL!! Im a Plumbing contractor/Certified Master Plumber. There are some minor things a guy can do but there are others where not having the right equipment, tools and KNOWLEDGE can ruin your day and end up costing you more money. Worse yet I have seen a number of fine homes ruined by flood damage due to "Henry the homeowner" or "Joe the Handyman" and it is so sad and avoidable. I see it all the time a poor guy spends his whole Saturday trying to fix something, gives up calls me out and I fix in an hour or less many times and it is done right, worries over. Your time is worth something especially your day off. If any of you Fretters have a Plumbing prob you can always PM me and I will do my best to advise you especially if your doing it yourself I might save ya some grief.

ted s
March 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM
good call Mark, an individuals time means something as well. I missed Tim's comment regarding 3 hrs. I don't mind spending the time for my own stuff assuming it's all going to go smoothly.

Tim
March 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Well I am a DIY self-fixer from way back. I figure if I can work on military and commercial aircraft, I should be able to work on different things around the house. Plumbing is just not my favorite. After all is said and done, it was cheaper that calling for a plumber (sorry Mark).

I did re-grout the shower floor a few weeks back. That was a learning experience in itself, but it came out pretty good. Many years ago I enclosed the garage into a family room, with a bay window. I did the dry wall and electrical work. I sold the house back in 1985. The family room is what sold the house. 25 years later the same owners are still in the house with the enclosed garage.

B2TB – I also do not work on autos any more. It’s too confined and too computerized. The days of the backyard mechanic are just about over. I have a garage do most of my small work. I no longer change the oil. I can’t get under the car (the car is to low to the ground) and I can’t hardly see the filter let alone reach it. These are two signs of old age … too big to get under the car, and too blind to see anything. LOL!!!

I think the DIY depends on how confident you are in yourself. Anybody can do anything if they put their mind to it. Also practice make perfect. So practice before attempting any task, no matter if the job is big or small.

Mark
March 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Well I am a DIY self-fixer from way back. I figure if I can work on military and commercial aircraft, I should be able to work on different things around the house. Plumbing is just not my favorite. After all is said and done, it was cheaper that calling for a plumber (sorry Mark).

Nothing to be sorry for some guys do have the mechanical aptitude and ability some dont. The real wisdom comes when you know what job is beyond your abilities.

Fingers
March 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Diy..........DIY?

Hate it.............cuts down 'frettin' time............

I thought I would rearrange my sock drawer................do you know how long it took?

Hours...............all those different colours and styles..............and trying to match up pairs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah......get someone in next time.............

.................you could, of course, send the little woman (ahem) to a college night school class on 'Home maintenance'............you'd also get some peace and quiet whilst she is out....so you could turn your amp up LOUD.

Just think of the gear you could buy with the savings.........you could even hire her out to fix neighbours lil' jobs...........

Myles
March 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm a big fan of letting the experts do the job for me. I can't fix cars, I can't do plumbing and if that means that occasionally I get billed 25 bucks for someone to come down and tell me there isn't a problem then so be it :D