PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick One amp & One guitar...

Robert
March 20th, 2007, 03:11 PM
... and money is not an issue - what would you pick? :R

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
One guitar - My Muddy Waters Telecaster.

One amph - A '67 Marshall Super Lead Plexi 100 watt stack

Danzego
March 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM
FOUL!!! :eek:

You can't go asking something like that and then not answering your own question, Robert. Now get back here and state your piece. :p

For me, I don't have exacts, but I know my amp would be whatever the heck Stevie Ray used to get all of his greatest clean and dirty tones (if, in fact, we're talking about one amp; if not, I'd take the cleans).

However, I'm not going to follow that up with a Strat. On the flipside, my guitar would be a nice Gibson Les Paul, probably something in early 60's flavor. :)

Robert
March 20th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Heck, I don't know! That's why I'm asking you guys!

Ok, for the amp, how about the Marshall Super Lead 100 watt Hendrix often used.
Then one guitar... hmm, since I am a Hendrix freak, it would have to be one of his strats, probably this black beauty - http://www.univibes.com/BlackStrat.html

Good enough? :DR

Plank_Spanker
March 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I already have it!

My 2006 LP Standard LE

My Germino Club 40

A match made in heaven.............:D

tot_Ou_tard
March 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Do you get to sell'em & buy others with the money?

marnold
March 20th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Amp: I have no idea

Guitar: USA Jackson Randy Rhoads, white with black pinstripes, Floyd

Plank_Spanker
March 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Do you get to sell'em & buy others with the money?

Nope. They are life keepers. I will grow old and grey with them.

Sblack
March 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Amp: Mesa Boogie Mark II C+ head into a 4x12 Mesa cabinet

Guitar: Ernie Ball Music Man Steve Morse Model in Black

tot_Ou_tard
March 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Nope. They are life keepers. I will grow old and grey with them.
I didn't mean your stuff, Plank. I was trying o see if their was a loophole in Robert's Rules of Gear.

'Cause if there was I'd take the most expensive guitar & amp & sell'em. :D

duhvoodooman
March 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM
'60 cherry sunburst LP and a '62 Marshall Bluesbreaker combo. I got Beano fever!! :DR :cool: :DR

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2007, 04:08 AM
The revs Pearly and a Blues Breaker Combo for me.

Jimi75
March 21st, 2007, 04:09 AM
Ampwise I would go Mesa Boogie, not a Rectifier but a Stiletto or Road King would do the job for my personal flavour - I would chose a special design, black or grey snake or crocodile pattern (artificial of course - no animal has do die for my amp!!!!).

Guitarwise I am a Strat-guy throug and through. I love the feel of the Charvel Eddie Van Halen guitar,neck, but I do not like the Floyd Rose, nor the design nor that the guitar has only one pu.

So it would be a dark blue see through AAAA top custom shop strat body, with the Eddie neck and the rest would be vintage parts, maybe the Eric Johnson Strat electric. A nice inlay on the twelveth fret would be the initials of my kidz.

So far so good!
:DR

Ro3b
March 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM
You know, I guess I'm the wierdo here, but I'm not too picky about guitars. My ultimate guitar is the one that I happen to be playing. I'd want something with a comfortable neck that plays in tune, and since I've been listening to a lot of metal lately I'd want humbuckers. A well-broken-in Les Paul? Fine.

Now for the amp, I'd really love to get back the 50-watt 1x12 Music Man that I had all through the 80s and stupidly sold. What a great amp, and I knew it like the inside of my mouth. Alas. I hope it's in good hands now.

Fingers
March 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Fender 'Tweed' Twin and either a 52 Tele 'Black guard' or Gibby 335

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Right now, I only know what I have, so I would bring that. But if I was limited to one each, and had time to try a bunch more stuff, I would imagine I would go with a strat body, maple fret board, with good 5 way switch, HSH set up (I really like strats SSS, but if I could only have one, I might want humbuckers once in a while), that I had had DVM or Spud or someone mod for me so I could truly tap the humbuckers. The amp would likely be a cleanish 4x10 or twin, with plenty of pedals to help me dirty it up when I wanted to. From what I have learned here so far, you can fatten up and dirty up a clean amp, but can't really get a good clean tone out of an amp that starts fatter or dirtier. I would likely go Mark's house and start some research there. One of those sweet Fenners might be it :-) I would need plenty of time and resources to play lots of guitars and amphs before I would have to board the plane to the deserted island!

TS808
March 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Fender American Deluxe Strat (SSS) and a Fender Super Reverb.

Sblack
March 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Fender American Deluxe Strat (SSS) and a Fender Super Reverb.
I like this, TS. Simple and sweet, but superb tone and blues/rock/country versatility.

Katastrophe
March 24th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Ya know, If I had to have just one guitar and amph, I'd probably keep my Strat. I know, it's just an MIM, but the neck is comfortable, and the HSS setup is incredibly versatile.

Amphs are a different story. It's an equal toss up between these three:

Line 6 Vetta II with the MIDI foot controller

Fender CyberTwin SE with the MIDI foot controller

Vox AD120VTX with the MIDI foot controller and NeoDog speakers.

Take yer pick. I'd be happy with any of those.

Spudman
March 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I've had a hard time with this one...what I finally figured out that I would settle for, since it can only be one of each, would be my signature series custom guitar and signature series convertible amph. That is the ONLY way that I could ever settle for just one of each.:DR :R

I love rock n roll!:)

kerc
March 26th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I have no idea on how to answer this one!

Jamie O
May 14th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Amp, Bassman. I've never owned one but I just think they're neat. even the name is cool.

Guitar is tough. I see lots of Gretsch's I want (Green Duo Jet!) and I always thought a nice Guild archtop would be cool, especially since they're a local company to me. Buuuuut...There's a photo of a PRS in a book I have. It's an Archtop with a single neck humbucker and satin finished spruce top. It's just so classic looking, yet different from other archtops and PRS's, simple but really sharp. That one always makes me stop flippin pages for a minute.

t_ross33
May 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Tele + Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Or maybe a bassman. Or an LP + Marshall stack.

Or....:confused:

tot_Ou_tard
May 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Jamie-O izzat you smokin' a stogie in your avatar?

I occaisionaly smoke a cigar or pipe tobacco.

grungemaster
March 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'd have to go with a Vox tube amp & stack with a few pedals; and if we're allowed to mod guitars, I'd probably choose an American made double-neck bich (One six string guitar with a five string bass) and drop a PAF in it.

MAXIFUNK
March 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
ok

Guitar rig: amp mesa mark 5 with 4x12 cab, and HSH strat maple neck and the pups with coiling splitting capabilities.
Bass Rig: My current amp Mesa M9 Carbine with powerhouse 4x10 x 1x15 cab (But I would add the SWR Marcus Miller tube preamp). Ibanez Prestige SR5000E

tunghaichuan
March 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
J. Backlund JBD-100:

http://www.jbacklund.com/images/pop_jbd100.jpg

Into:

Hi-Mu 5.5W head:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZE_sSnEozyU/Rd82n_usDfI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/EcbVPiWGCz4/s1600/HiMuCat95.gif

http://www.dvq.com/guitars/amps/hi_mu.jpg

bcdon
March 26th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Mesa Boogie Mark V + Godin Icon Type 2 Convertible.

swLgNJNl_W8
ulgzWoBnQQY

Eric
March 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Ooh, another Lazarus thread. This should be fun. Seems kind of destined to be a what-I-already-own thread, but whatevs.

So, lessee here...

For guitar, I'll go with a Heritage H150.

Amp? Hrm. Maybe a Ceriatone Chupacabra into a 4x12 Avatar or Mesa Boogie cabinet with...uh...I'm not too good with knowing stuff about speakers. I haven't exactly found my voice in terms of amps yet, but that seems like it could be a fun one.

deeaa
March 26th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Well, if I had to work with just one amp and guitar, for all eternity, I'd most likely go for a Marshall JMV 50W combo and a Fender strat in which I'd install an EMG 85 and an S and an SA. If money was no object. Another guitar option would be some top-end Gibson SG, perhaps.

That said, for my needs now, my Ceriatone does the trick for me. If I didn't have it, it might be a tough choice between a Laboga Caiman rig and the JMV. Would really need to think hard about that one, but the JMV's versatility would be tempting indeed.

If I was just starting and needed the best/most versatile rig for less than ~2000 I'd likely go for a Fender Mexistrat with said pickup upgrade and a Tech-21 TM-60 or 30...that'd be a compromise but overall most bang/usability for buck. Or, perhaps I'd look hard also at them Blackstar amps as well.

marnold
March 26th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Now looking at this about four years later, I'd have to amend my choices to my Dinky and some kind of JCM800-esque amph.

Tig
March 26th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Diggin' up old threads, eh?
'59 Les Paul (original) and a Dumble Overdrive Special... For just a few weeks so I can experience the pinnacle of tone.

Then I could sell them both, pay off my house, have plenty left for retirement and buy a half dozen really good guitars and amphs. :AOK

Katastrophe
March 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Okay, I'll play, again! I'd have to go this time with a Fender Classic 50s Strat in Fiesta Red, and a Fender Mustang V halfstack, for the flexibility...

I know I should probably say a more expensive guitar and amph combo, but I'm a Strat guy, and I've been itching to try out the half stack bigger brother to my little modeling amph.

(Still have GAS for an LP type, Tele type, semihollow 335 type, and a Gretsch!)

mrmudcat
March 27th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Keep coming back to this thread and after several hours ............... I still cant freaking decide!!!

58 lespaul tobacco sunburst chevron style tigerstriped and pre 70's marshall 1986 50 watt bass head........stack with cervin vegas and or vintage green backs mixed....yea I know original:thwap

I have the speakers c.v. (4) no cab yet and no 86 head....... my vintage modern fullstack with a few paula's and a sweet sg will suffice for now boo hoo!!!!

Monkus
March 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM
i have no idea....really, the concept escapes me.

oldguy
March 27th, 2011, 07:42 AM
'59 Les Paul (original) and a Dumble Overdrive Special... For just a few weeks so I can experience the pinnacle of tone.

Then I could sell them both, pay off my house, have plenty left for retirement and buy a half dozen really good guitars and amphs. :AOK
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like the way you think, Tig.

tunghaichuan
March 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Added to my original choice:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk238hNDi3Xs4cnIoDiIScke7u_yFxQ 9NReniRdUX-mk71EOh9Lg&t=1

http://www.edroman.com/parts/images/dt-96.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww213/rickmebe/Klein/DSC_0007.jpg

Kind of odd looking, but I think they look kind of cool.

Katastrophe
March 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Tung, I dig that guitar, but it does look like a Strat that went all melty. :poke

bcdon, that Godin vid is GAS inducing. Is it wrong to have a pickup / High Definition Revoicer crush?

bcdon
March 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
bcdon, that Godin vid is GAS inducing. Is it wrong to have a pickup / High Definition Revoicer crush?
Of course it is a-okay! I really dig the HDR on my P90s.. it is hard to describe but it really makes them sing. :dude

NWBasser
March 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Ooh, another Lazarus thread. This should be fun. Seems kind of destined to be a what-I-already-own thread, but whatevs.

So, lessee here...

For guitar, I'll go with a Heritage H150.

Amp? Hrm. Maybe a Ceriatone Chupacabra into a 4x12 Avatar or Mesa Boogie cabinet with...uh...I'm not too good with knowing stuff about speakers. I haven't exactly found my voice in terms of amps yet, but that seems like it could be a fun one.

I like the tack of your jibe, sir!

I'd go along with the Heritage for a guitar too.

Amph would probably be a Mesa Transatlantic 15 with a Mesa 2x12 cab.

FrankenFretter
March 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Like Doug, I'd pick a genuine '59 Les Paul for my guitar, and then either an early model Plexi, or JCM800 through some vintage Marshall cabs (full stack, oh yeah!). Just thinking about all that vintage cool mojo is making me all warm and fuzzy. ;)

grungemaster
April 4th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Yep. I AM THE NECROMANCER.