PDA

View Full Version : Epi LP studio

Duff
March 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I'm considering getting one of these. Anyone have any first hand experience with any of the new ones. They look like a nice guitar. I have not been able to find one around here to try out. The closest I could get was a Epi LP 100, and it sounded very good compared to the special deluxe II gold plated promotion going on at MF. I thought it (the LP 100) sounded as good as a brand new Epi G-400. I couldn't really notice much difference. Probably because my skill level is not sophisticated to the degree to notice certain things other than the obvious. I played them through an Epi Blues Custom amp. Nice amp I might add. I did notice "problems" with the cheaper LPs and a nice DOT. Also, you can't overdrive the tube amps at a store without the workers freaking out.

Incidentally, I tried out a brand new Gibson Melody Maker. It sounded very nice and crisp. Set up like a LP jr. The build quality of the American craftsmen was poor, however. Barbed wire fret ends, etc. I'm sure some minor sanding, etc., would correct the obvious problems.

Any observations about the Epi LP studio are appreciated.

Spudman
March 20th, 2007, 10:10 PM
You could also go with the Epi LP Birdseye Std in Wine for $299
http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=252518&cm_mmc=Email-_-General-_-MayhemContinues-_-Main299

Danzego
March 21st, 2007, 12:44 AM
Lemme tell ya, Duff- that's a very sweet guitar for the price. Typically, they go for around $380 at a place like Guitar Center (who recently bought out Music123 from what I'm hearing). I have a Cherryburst LP Standard and the only difference is I have a Plus- meaning it's a flame maple top as opposed to the birdseye.

I just got my Cherryburst a month and a half ago, so one might say it could be the honeymoon still talking, but I was VERY skeptically contemplating an Epi LP to begin with. It didn't take but me finding one that was set up properly on the sales floor to figure out that's the way I wanted to go. The only decision I had to make from there was whether to get a Custom for a couple hundred bucks more, but once I found that the gold color on the bridge and pickups wears off over time and they had their own little quirky playability issues, I decided on the Standard and never went back.

I'd be seriously GASsing on this here little number, but I don't care for the cream with the wine coloring and chrome hardware (though with the exception of the binding, that can be changed to black for around 50 bucks) That's just my own thing, though. Point is, the Standards rock and I would seriously consider looking into them if you can afford putting a little more money into one of those. Even if you have to put off the purchase a little longer, it's worth it. :)

Sblack
March 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM
You could also go with the Epi LP Birdseye Std in Wine for $299
http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=252518&cm_mmc=Email-_-General-_-MayhemContinues-_-Main299
I actually saw this deal and thought maybe, maybe I could convince my wife . . .

It is a nice guitar, and for $299.00 it is a no brainer if you are in the market for an Epi LP. With a little TLC and GFS, you could have that guitar playing and sounding like a vintage Paul.

sunvalleylaw
March 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM
Yep, I am gassing to add that one as my second electric. Dang it. Hope a deal like it is still around when I am ready to throw down the $$.

Spudman
March 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
I pulled the trigger on the birdseye LP. Of course it was a no brainer. I have a Music 123 card so I got it with no interest/no payment for 6 months. I ordered the Wine Red.
I'll post pics as soon as I get it.

Just what I needed!:p

Sblack
March 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
I pulled the trigger, of course. It was a no brainer. I have a Music 123 card so I got it with no interest/no payment for 6 months. I ordered the Wine Red.
I'll post pics as soon as I get it.

Just what I needed!:p

I am experiencing a Pavlovian reaction here. Whenever someone buys a new guitar, I begin to salivate.

Spudman
March 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
I am experiencing a Pavlovian reaction here. Whenever someone buys a new guitar, I begin to salivate.

LOL:D
You dog. Apply for the 123 card and get the 6 month no interest/no payment deal. That will stop the salivation.

Danzego
March 21st, 2007, 10:36 PM
6 months no interest on 300 bucks? You can throw 50 bucks a month at it and have it paid off by that time.

Of course, that's exactly what I said about my Best Buy card before I maxed it out and am now pretty much just making "interest payments". :(

Spudman
March 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
6 months no interest on 300 bucks? You can throw 50 bucks a month at it and have it paid off by that time.

Of course, that's exactly what I said about my Best Buy card before I maxed it out and am now pretty much just making "interest payments". :(

Discipline is critical...otherwise it's back to rice and beans or dumpsters.

grungeiceman
March 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Wow when i saw the Lp, i was amazed, yeah i hope it will be still for sale in two weeks for my paycheck becuase then its mine

Spudman
March 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'll have my wine Birdseye LP on Thursday the 29th. I'll be sure to inform all here so that if it's a good deal you can get one before thy are gone.