PDA

View Full Version : American Idol Thread

stingx
March 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM
Heya fellas,

My wife and I share a guilty pleasure of watching Idol for the ridiculous auditions at the beginning of every new season. We differ in that she still gets into it well after whereas I lose interest quickly shortly after. I find it hard to take the show very seriously and always view it as a goof, I guess that explains it.

So I was watching the top 11 perform last night and I just don't understand the judges or the American public. This Sanjaya character flat out sucks as a singer/performer. I feel sorry for this guy in that I believe the man upstairs dealt him a bad hand - he truly seems to me to be a woman trapped in a man's body. Very - extremely - effeminate. Predictably, the judges weren't very impressed with his take on You Really Got Me. The audience seemed to be into it and there was even a girl crying hysterically as if she were witnessing The Beatles for the first time at Shea Stadium. Unbelievable :rolleyes:

The other guy that annoys the shit out of me is Blake. He's this lily-white, beatbox guy. He takes classic tunes and tries to modernize them and always has to add sound effects like that character from the Police Academy movies of the 80s. Annoying really isn't the word.

Is it just me? I mean am I possibly jaded in my feelings? Does anyone else occasionally tune in and just find this whole Idol thing to be way overpopular for no good reason? I know the average American is borderline retarded but I mean this shit is popular in numerous variations in a dozen countries. I find more talent and enjoyment coming from the music of people who post on the various forums I frequent. I guess talent alone doesn't cut it in this business. I always new timing was important too. It seems the masses are just more than content to feed on what the labels keep pitching to them as being good musical talent. Just look at the majority of what is considered popular in music today. It sickens me. Cookie cutter images of acts that are all image over substance. Only in a demented society do the musical talents of people like Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, John Mayer - you get the point - take a backseat to the likes of Gwen Stefani, Ashley Simpson, all the same sounding hip-hop performers, etc.

I dunno fellas, perhaps my feelings on the matter have to do with the fact that I'm still sucking in the 70s...

Spudman
March 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM
This is a good reason for signing the "Save Internet Streaming" thread.

marnold
March 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM
American Idol-style music isn't going to be something that will appeal to the average guitar forum denizen.

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM
I think Jordin sings dang good.......

Lev
March 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
So if there was a Guitar Idol contest with the promise of fame, fortune and a career playing guitar would you enter ?? - I think if I was a 20 year old guitarist and thought I had talent i'd give it a go.

And for that reason I can understand why people enter the competition & I do find it quite entertaining (although I cringe quite a bit while watching). I think like everything you have to take the good with the bad - I agree that there is some really bad singers in it this year but then again it has also produced a couple of grammy winners.

I think it would benefit greatly if the emphasis was shifted away from just 'singing' covers, if they were say allowed to play piano or guitar on stage (some of them are musicians but are not allowed to play) & maybe sing an original song or two.

DaveO
March 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM
I love the first few weeks. Those tryouts are a hoot. Once it gets serious and they get out to Hollywood is when I am out of there.
Dave

Myles
March 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Not to be a downer, but I always feel like watching the tryouts is like laughing at the Special Olympics. I'd really prefer if they didn't show the tryouts and were much more selective with the people we see on television. (not to mention gave them a lot more time to learn their songs, real artists don't have to come up with material in a week or two.. they have as long as they want)

Tim
March 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
I do not like the show. The first reason is that the show is more about the “Hollywood Judges” than the poor individuals who are trying to break through. If I knew some ignorant idiot was just waiting to throw his insults at me the minute I completed, there is no way I could give my 100% effort.

Second, some contestants should have never made it to the TV screen. They are leaving themselves open to ridicule. Even if they do sign a contract for just that purpose. Its nation wide, every body will know you’re a failure. I do not call that entertainment. I call it demoralizing.

Personally I like the way Guitar Center is holding their tryouts. It’s all about giving the person “his/her” time to shine … without worrying about insults being tossed after you complete your performance. If you don’t make the cut, then you are your own judge.

Hey ... my 2 cents

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
I do not like the show. The first reason is that the show is more about the “Hollywood Judges” than the poor individuals who are trying to break through. If I knew some ignorant idiot was just waiting to throw his insults at me the minute I completed, there is no way I could give my 100% effort.

Second, some contestants should have never made it to the TV screen. They are leaving themselves open to ridicule. Even if they do sign a contract for just that purpose. Its nation wide, every body will know you’re a failure. I do not call that entertainment. I call it demoralizing.

Personally I like the way Guitar Center is holding their tryouts. It’s all about giving the person “his/her” time to shine … without worrying about insults being tossed after you complete your performance. If you don’t make the cut, then you are your own judge.

Hey ... my 2 cents

I don't watch and have only seen a few minutes, so my opportunity to observe is almost nil. But from what I have seen on occasion, it seems they put on a poor slob that should not be on TV, just for some sense of comedy. But I don't go in for that kind of humor, making fun of someone like that in some sort of effort to make the judges look "cool". When the judges act like that, it is pretty much some kids who think they are cool ridiculing someone they label a nerd. I haven't watched enough to comment on the contestants that do well.

Tone2TheBone
March 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
It's "showbusiness". Take a look at the contrasts between the contestants at the beginning of the season and the finalists. It provides a sort of audio/visual scale of reference if you will. Most of the reality boob tube shows do the same thing.

I think a lot of those contestants shouldn't even BE on there period. Some of them are obviously wasting everyone's time. There are some who are clearly doing it just to be on TV...you can tell by their actions during the taping. Of course some really do think they can sing and perform too.

......you wanna see and hear really awful? Watch Grease: You're The One That I Want" sometime. :eek:

;)