PDA

View Full Version : Robert Johnson recording speed

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
I found this topic at another site and found it really interesting. I wanted to post it here.

It's a link to a website that talks about the speed at which the original Robert Johnson recordings were made. According to the article many people believe that the record speed which we currently hear nowadays (one that I too hear off my iPod from the 1961 release of Robert Johnson: King of the Delta Blues Singers) is too fast. It suggests that Robert originally tuned his guitar to "normal" open G string keys like we do today while still using a capo as he did. If you listen to the way he sings on these records today he does sound as if he's singing in a real high key and at a fast tempo. Listen to his vocal vibratos...almost chipmunkie in many ways. When you listen to the songs slowed down they sound much more clearer. Check out the article it's neat stuff. There are slowed down versions of his songs on the bottom of the webpage article that really sound much better and more natural than the way we might hear them from a record.

http://www.touched.co.uk/press/rjnote.html

Wikipedia also mentions this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson_%28musician%29

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Interesting! I wonder if that is true for other old recordings from the same era? The slower versions sounds so much better!
I hope they release a proper CD box with these "new" slow versions, that would be a fine excuse for buying more of Mr Johnsons music.

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM
Interesting! I wonder if that is true for other old recordings from the same era? The slower versions sounds so much better!
I hope they release a proper CD box with these "new" slow versions, that would be a fine excuse for buying more of Mr Johnsons music.

I like the slower speeds myself. You can really hear what's going on both with the guitar and especially with the vocals. Faster played music is supposed to be more punchy and exciting? I don't think so!

There's a link at the top of that page...if you click on negative image of RJ that leads you to information about ordering a CD of 24 of his songs at the slower speed.

SuperSwede
March 21st, 2007, 10:41 AM
I like the slower speeds myself. You can really hear what's going on both with the guitar and especially with the vocals. Faster played music is supposed to be more punchy and exciting? I don't think so!

There's a link at the top of that page...if you click on negative image of RJ that leads you to information about ordering a CD of 24 of his songs at the slower speed.

I found a online store here that has it, but I might wait for a iTunes release (I buy almost all music on iTunes).

Tim
March 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM
May I suggest a reason for the slight speed up of the older songs. Are there any Fretter out there that remember 33 1/3 long playing records? There may have been a happy compromise when the new tape and CD style of recording media was introduced. This is just an idea to throw into the conversation.

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
May I suggest a reason for the slight speed up of the older songs. Are there any Fretter out there that remember 33 1/3 long playing records? There may have been a happy compromise when the new tape and CD style of recording media was introduced. This is just an idea to throw into the conversation.

I remember 33 1/3, 78s and 45s. Trouble is I don't have any albums anymore and I have a turntable in the shed. I also have a dual cassette player in storage up in the attic. I inherited my father's reel to reel too but after a few hours of messing with it...it stopped working. :\

Jimi75
March 21st, 2007, 12:53 PM
I do not know why, but my natural feeling always told me that what I hear on the record is slightly to fast - it sounds a little bit unnatural at times and I have listened to R.J. a million times!

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM
I do not know why, but my natural feeling always told me that what I hear on the record is slightly to fast - it sounds a little bit unnatural at times and I have listened to R.J. a million times!

That's the feeling I always got when I listened to Robert Johnson too Jimi. Especially when he would speak within the song. It sounded too high pitched like it was stretched out or fast...it sounded weird. I listened to him on the way back from my fishing trip a week ago and I thought to myself, either that's sped up or Robert was only 13 when he recorded that and they lied about his age. heh

Justaguyin_nc
March 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM
I also heard the slow downs and they sound much better to my ears.

But as far as the voice... I lived in memphis about 16 years or so and his voice type is common down there. High pitched is not as uncommon as you would think. Especially when excited..

But, I go for the idea they are sped up on the 33 1/3 to create the sound more then not. The slow downs seem to have more feeling to them.