PDA

View Full Version : Computer Down pouting post

Justaguyin_nc
January 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I didn't realize how attached I have become to my computer... All my backings.. songs...tabs.. recording software... GAMES!! .. My Motherboard went out about a week or so before Xmas and I been trying to be cheap and buy a replacement on E-Bay.. Now I do have the chance to use the GirlFriend's computer for Email and Browsing but it sure isn't like having your own.. At what point in time did these things get attached to our arms like a daily wristwatch? During withdrawl though I am getting to play guitar more instead of reading about playing guitars..lol... Looking back..I have had a computer with me since Atari 800's and Commodore 64's...sheesh..time flys...anyway.. was just pouting outloud... Don't think I really need more then I had..just replacement.. noticed ram keeps changing so rapidly..the last year new ram is now OLD.. finding 266 ram is like going back in time... everything going to 64 bit...is it really needed??? doubt it.. plus im cheap.. ohwell.. later dayz..:(

SuperSwede
January 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Next year its gonna be the same story, maybe you should have stuck with that Atari 800 ;)

Myles
January 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I know what your are feeling about this attachement to computers. When I think about the internet, I haven't been without in for more than a week or so for over 10 years. Kinda crazy.

Katastrophe
January 8th, 2006, 05:53 AM
It's amazing how ingrained in our lives computers can become... I went without one for several years, getting my business done at work. The wife and I picked one up this past Christmas, and I can't believe the amount of info we've looked up and stored since the purchase! I haven't even BEGUN to scratch the surface of home recording yet **rubs hands greedily, with a fiendish grin**.

BTW, had an Atari 800 XL, dot matrix printer, floppy disk drive, and a 300 baud modem. My monitor was an old black and white TV. It was THE setup until a buddy of mine got an Apple IIe.

Justaguyin_nc
January 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah 300 baud modems..:) now we are talking some speed huh..heh.. I started with the internet by a free service as it was suppose to be.. ofcourse at that point it was just a fido feed and ascii pictures was about all you recieved other then text messages... Bulliten Board Systems (BBS) was the norm and land calling into one was exciting. I spent like $500-$600 bucks on a LT. Kernel 20meg (thats not a typo) harddrive to launch a BBS once.. Commodore 64 took over the Atari for me and then an Amiga system (still think this was better then IBM or Apple imho) wow.. what a difference.. thinking of adding another drive 200 gig to the present setup for much less. Looking back, I have kids hitting 30 and don't think they ever have been without computers.. I actually remember when MicroSoft was Quick and Dirty DOS.. Even before it had Icons... It looked sooo bad compared to Amiga and Apple... (For love of god why didn't I buy any stock!!!) let's give Bill credit for Marketing..:) Computers..sigh.. My house is controlled by them, my money is paid in and out by them and my car even runs on them...CGI, PERL, SCRIPTING, C, C++, PASCAL, DOS, Visual Basic all normal words nowadays.. And if I am not mistaken..the only other great thing thats evolved in my life's memory is a MicroWave Oven which I think has Computer in it to work..dunno.... oh and now my Pizzaz Pizza Maker I got for Xmas... I guess we credit Cell Phones and Sat TV to Computers too.. shoot... we credit everything to them... now back to getting mine finished...:(

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I still have my Atari Megafile 20 (Yes 20mb too) for my Atari ST system, which still gets some use. I love to play those old games, and it is a killer for midi sequencer use too :)
My wife is not too fond of my nostalgic computer collection however :P