PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Costa Jazz Pianist for Mr. Roger's Neighborhood

Sblack
March 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
I spend a lot of time watching children's television with my three-year-old son. Being that I grew up watching Fred Rogers, I choose this show for us to watch at times. My son now loves watching it, too. But if you sit and really open your ears to the jazz piano playing throughout the show, you will be mystified by the sounds. Johnny Costa played with his trio live in the studio during each episode recording (up until 1996), and this guy is a huge musical inspiration. Give his improvising technique a listen and you will hear some incredible bop lines and rich soloing.

Okay, I need to get a life.

Tone2TheBone
March 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
I too grew up in "the hood" with Mr. Rogers and Mr. Costa. The music was always a big part of the show throughout...especially when Fred would walk down the street, camera panning across the miniature town to visit someone in the neighborhood while Mr. Costa ripped some tasty jazz piano. I also liked Joe Negry's music store. He was a great guitarist and musician as well.

Sblack
March 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
I also liked Joe Negry's music store. He was a great guitarist and musician as well.

The episodes where Fred would visit Joe Negri at the store were the best. You are right -- Joe was and still is an incredible musician. Every episode that included Joe's store was priceless. There was one episode where Wynton Marsalis played jazz trumpet for Fred and Joe sat in on guitar. I was blown away by that improvised performance.

Joe Negri is still around and has this cool website -- http://www.joenegri.com.

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Okay, I need to get a life.

I am a fan of "old school" children's television such as Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street. Not to mention the Muppet show! Hey, its better than Barney music or the Wiggles! :p See, I need a life, even knowing what those shows are! :D

Tone2TheBone
March 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Oops I misspelled Mr. Negri's name!

There was a user here that used his photo as his avatar. He hasn't posted here in ages.