PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone DOT Deluxe

Hogfullofblues
March 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-DOT-Deluxe-Flametop-Semi-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=512456

My particular specimen will be turned back in. Seems there is a neck or fret issue that causes some fret buzz that is incurable. The good news is GC ordered me a new one to exchange, or sway for an Epi LP. There is also a funky raised spot on the fretboard, and a section of the lower edge of the rosewood under it is wierd - hard to describe, uneven with a little grove or flaw. Maybe this guitar was on the wall too long. Can't comment on the action after all the truss rod and bridge adjusting. We'll see how the new one fares.
Otherwise, all sweet in the looks, assembly quality and sound to my ears departments. Components all seem fine, except the nut which sure looks like plastic. I'm not sure if I like the tone and volume knobs. Sort of an reliced plastic look to me. Gettin picky here I guess.
Here is a clip with some clean to mean. No adjustment to the guitar tone or volume, and not much time spent tweaking tone (or practicing for that matter).

http://www.box.net/shared/vto2gj0244

I'm hoping the new one will be problem free cause I'm liking this guitar.

Spudman
March 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
That is really nice Hogster. Nice and mellow and soulful.
So is this the guitar that you are sending back? Did you use the Pod or the amph?

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Cool Hog! You are making me gas for more guitars!

Hogfullofblues
March 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks! Still playin the reject. It will take up to 2 weeks for the new one to arrive. Sounds good to me and looks great, just that dang fretboard and now the action is pretty high. These were favorite POD tones that seem to sound pretty good on anything. Haven't tried tweaking yet but I'm sure there are some more sweet tones in there to find.

Hogfullofblues
April 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Just got back from GC with the new replacement DOT. So far, I am thinking: "Now THAT'S what I was talking about!". :DR
No lumpy bumpy spots on this fretboard and the fretwires are totally flush with the neck - no sprouts. Action is much lower than the first DOT ever was.
As usual, there was such a rukus in there I'm not sure about any fret buzz, but it sounded good and I'll be wringing her out tonight some.
Just hope all goes well with this one...

fendermojoman
June 27th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Gee- I must have gotten one built right before the strike in Korea!
I was very dissapointed in the quality of mine and sold it after 4 months. :confused: :confused: :confused: