PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

TS808
March 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Call me insane (maybe), but I don't understand the "boutique amp" craze. I've seen alot of people on different forums spend up to $3,000 + on a so-called boutique amp, only later to say they "couldn't bond with it". The other common complaint is that the 18-watt boutique amps are too loud for home, and don't deliver enough power for a gig.

Personally, for 3 grand, I can get a good amp, and two good guitars, and maybe have some cash left for a couple pedals.

I found this: http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=137

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2007, 08:03 AM
There seems to be some really cool boutique ones, like this Swart thread, and I love the independent innnovation. My budget keeps me in the "bang for the buck" realm, however. My Peavey Classic-30 seems to have plenty of tone in it for me to learn about at this stage, and was relatively cheap! I would rather add an LP and/or hollow body, and maybe some more recording/effect stuff with the difference between what I paid for that C-30 and one of those really cool looking boutiques. I suppose it is worth it if you have the extra discretionary resources. I like that those companies can exist!

Robert
March 24th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Ts, it's that quest for the "holy grail" - people in search are willing to pay a high price, even though it may not lead to happiness in the end.

I'd love a Swart amp or a vintage Marshall or anything "boutique" if I could justify the cost. However, I realize I can get very close with my current gear, which is mostly very cheap stuff.

So, what I'm saying is, I can understand both sides of the "holy grail coin".

LagrangeCalvert
March 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
+1 Robert. Im one of those people in search. I have played tons of amps; bought and sold probably over 20 (since I have been playing) and I am now just finding what I want. Price doesn't always mean greatness. Mine is in the Epiphone Blues custom 30. Once it is retubed I will be in bliss. But there are the others out there that just will NEVER be satisfied with their tone. They will nit pic or run a great amp/head into the ground over one little thing they don't like. Different strokes for diff. folks.

TS808
March 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Lately I've been seeing more and more big name boutique amps showing up on ebay. Carr, Divided by 13, Aiken, Germino, you name it, they've been showing up.

I think we sometimes forget that the "quest for tone" starts with the fingers. I've heard some great tones come from good players through low budget amps, and some bad tones come from average players through high end gear.

Good gear is a plus, but is it really a necessity?

Robert
March 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Good gear is a plus, but is it really a necessity?

Remember, good gear can be cheap gear. If you meant to say "expensive gear" - then that's simple to answer - NO! As long as I like my gear enough to enjoy playing it, it doesn't matter if it's dirt cheap.

Mark
March 24th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I dont know if I have room to talk here given my collection of Vintage amps. I too have a hard time justifying a 2-3000 booteek amp. I did try the little Swart since I got a good deal on it, used it then sold it at a profit. I do have a bug for the oldies though. Its the getting them and restoring them to their original condition then the enjoyment of playing them! Something magical fixing up an amp and seeing a guys signature of his work from 40+ years ago. I kind of feel like Im keeping a torch lit.....may sound corny but I find it rewarding.

Another aspect I like with the Vintage amps over the Booteek are the Vintage often times is what the BooTeek is emulating, the Vintage amps historically hold and or appreciate in value which is nice. I can sell anyone of my Fenners right now and turn a profit. After I built my 5E3 tweed and restored these other amps I wont be buying any Booteek amps due to the fact I know what it costs to build one and I have the skills to build it myself if I wanted to.

One truth is timeless the gear isnt gonna make you a better player, it may cause you to play more helping to that end. We all have seen people with low end stuff ripping it up. The tone is in the trousers for sure.

Also thinking about it people also get to a stage in life where it isnt a financial hardship the enjoy the things we dreamed of. I know for me this is very true at this point in my life Im blessed with good health and good fortune. The kid is growed up the bills are all paid and we worked many years to get here. Life is short and you should stop to enjoy the flowers along each part of your journey. Im still not forking over $3000.00 for a booteek amp but if it floats someones boat and they can afford it have at it.

TS808
March 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Remember, good gear can be cheap gear. If you meant to say "expensive gear" - then that's simple to answer - NO! As long as I like my gear enough to enjoy playing it, it doesn't matter if it's dirt cheap.

Oops! Thanks for clarifying Robert...I agree "good gear" does not have to be expensive, which was my point to begin with!

There are some really good "mass-produced" amps out there that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for that provide some very good tones. I'm curious to see the new Crate 18-watt. At one time I wasn't real thrilled about Crate products, but after playing a Palomino, which I later returned because it was WAY too loud for my needs, I was impressed. Companies like Fender, Marshall, Vox, and Peavey are producing some very nice-sounding amps these days.

Sblack
March 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I think we sometimes forget that the "quest for tone" starts with the fingers. I've heard some great tones come from good players through low budget amps, and some bad tones come from average players through high end gear.

Over the years, I have been in and out of expensive, tube-driven, classic, and boutique amps. And in most instances, I was able to create comparable, solid, inspiring tones with my inexpensive solid-state amps and favorite pedals. I just couldn't get past it. Every time I bought a "better" tube amp, I kept either returning or later selling it. I learned an important lesson in this. If I get the tones I want from my inexpensive gear, then I am staying with it.

It is all about what you hear and create musically. Extrordinary gear helps, but when you really boil it all down, the gear only reflects the creativity you channel.

This is not to discount all of you who have awesome tube amps. You have found that preference and have achieved value and impeccable tone with it.