PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Jubilee any good?

Robert
March 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hehe, let's hear it, Jubilee owners! I have heard some wicked sounds from these amps, for example Wayne Krantz and Joe Bonamassa.

Tell us more about these ballsy Marshall amps. They came as heads too, right? I don't know much about the differences between the different Jublilees either.

I get the feeling they could be some of the best sounding Marshalls ever made, perhaps excluding the Plexis from the 60s and early 70s. What do you think?

Tone2TheBone
March 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Hehe, let's hear it, Jubilee owners! I have heard some wicked sounds from these amps, for example Wayne Krantz and Joe Bonamassa.

Tell us more about these ballsy Marshall amps. They came as heads too, right? I don't know much about the differences between the different Jublilees either.

I get the feeling they could be some of the best sounding Marshalls ever made, perhaps excluding the Plexis from the 60s and early 70s. What do you think?

I think you're right! ;)

The Jubilee amphs commemorated Marshall's 25th Anniversary. They were labeled 25/50 Silver Jubilee Series. The amps came in 100 watt and 50 watt head models and 50 watt 2x12 and 1x12 combos and were covered in Silver Tolex. The cabinets and combos came loaded with the Celestion Vintage 30s speakers.

Here is a pic of my registration confirmation letter signed by the man himself...

A pic of the plaque on the amph...

You can half the power of the amph from 100 to 50 watts or in my case from 50 watts to 25 watts via the hi/lo rocker switch (switch in the middle of the power and standby - excuse the dark photo). For you technical people the amph can run in triode or pentode mode.

Basically Jim Marshall wanted an amph that was already "customized" from the factory that was based on the JCM 800 mods that people like Jose Arredondo and others were doing back in the 80s. The amph's tube compliments are 3 - 12AX7s, 2 - EL-34s. The channels cascade from clean to dirty to high gain. The channels are footswitchable which you could also switch by pulling on the Master Volume knob. The clean "channel" would introduce dirty overdrive by pulling out the Volume knob. Using these functions in conjunction with switchable output power you can get many many different tones. I usually run mine at 25 watts which produces a warm brownier tone that compresses nicely. The amph has the standard treble, mid, bass and presence knobs to tweak your tone.

The combo sounds much different than when I run it through my bottom Marshall 60s cab. In combo mode it sounds spanky and airy...just what you would expect from an open back combo. In 4x12 mode (in Greenback Celestion style) it just SLAYS. Tight bottom end that is huge. Very musical timbres and loud volume. It really pushes some air.

I will post some more sounds as soon as I can. I'm having the amph rebiased with some new power tubes but here is a link to one I have up on youtube....played with my Gibson LP Studio.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=T2TB

Robert
April 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
The Slash model 2555 from 1996-97 are pretty much the same amp. I'd either a Jubilee or a Slash 2555.

Wonder why Slash is switching to the Vintage Modern? Seen the ads? I can't imagine it being better than the Slash signature Marshall from 1996-97. Maybe he can't enough of them, since they only made a select few of these amps.

There's even a Slash Marshall website! http://www.slashmarshall.com/

Not that I'm a fan of Slash, but that amph has me interested... bet the screaming solos would be easy to find on dat amph!

Tone2TheBone
April 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah but join me and Joe and John and get yourself a Silver Jubilee dude!

As I mentioned in my email to you...imagine the flurry you would create on the web with your videos if you ever got one. MSNBC and CNN would be all over that coverage! Like I said...you gotta make your mark on this planet Rob...get one.