PDA

View Full Version : Should I or Shouldn't I?

marnold
March 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
OK, on the TDPRI I found a link to this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Texas-Special-Tele-Pickup-Blk-Chrome-51-99_W0QQitemZ200092065309QQcategoryZ41428QQtcZphoto QQcmdZViewItem) selling Fender Texas Special Tele pickups for an unbelievably low price. The problem is that the price seems to be a bit too unbelievable. You used to be able to get them for $99, but Fender raised the minimum advertised price to $189. A local shop offered to get them for me for $135. I'd say that $120 would be a very good price on them. The other problem is that I promised myself I'd pay off my credit cards before buying anything else. Of course, if I get them (or similar) pups later for twice as much, what have I saved?

Thoughts? Advice? Innuendo?

Spudman
March 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
That price for one pickup is $62, or $124 for two. I'd go local and not worry about $10.

Hogfullofblues
March 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Hmmm...
It looks like this is actually a set of 2 for auction and at least in the picture is the real deal.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0992121000

But there seems to be different packaging for this set at online retailers.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN992121000

Maybe new packaging with the new higher price and this auction is the old version? Same part number and specs.

Would be hard for me to pass up at half off the best local price.

Spudman
March 25th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Marnold
Ask the seller if it is 1 pickup being auctioned or a set of 2. The auction text is a bit vague on this.

marnold
March 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hog: Zzounds has the old packaging.

Spud: Yeah, I want to talk with the seller anyway. The description (right from Fender's info) describes both pickups. The heading says blk/chrome because the bridge pickup is black and the neck is chrome.

duhvoodooman
March 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah, absolutely--shoot the seller a question and get clarification. That price is way too cheap for a pair....

marnold
March 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM
The question was shot early this afternoon. No response just yet, not a surprise for a Sunday. I also asked about the part where he says returns need to be made in three days.

marnold
March 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
He still hasn't returned my message yet, but now the auction says "This item has been removed." The auction was set to go until about April 20 originally. He sold four of the ten he was offering. Something is definitely odd here.

Spudman
March 26th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Good thing you waited then, huh? Or not. If it was his screw up then a few people might get a killer deal.

marnold
March 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Good thing you waited then, huh? Or not. If it was his screw up then a few people might get a killer deal.
Yeah, the jury's out. Since they never answered their phone the multiple times I tried to call and they never responded to my eBay message, I'm more than a little leery. What if I would have a problem? I'm going to keep in touch with that guy on the TDPRI forums and see how things went for him.

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Go to your local dealer. The problem is that when measuring the pu it is very close to the tex mex, if I remember correctly.

To be on the safe side spend some more bucks and be happy with the pus.

To me the Texas Special Tele and Strat PU is the best pu in the world....

TS808
April 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Go to your local dealer. The problem is that when measuring the pu it is very close to the tex mex, if I remember correctly.

To be on the safe side spend some more bucks and be happy with the pus.

To me the Texas Special Tele and Strat PU is the best pu in the world....

Agreed. Some really sweet tones out the Texas Special strat pickups. I had installed a set on one of my strats. I also put a set of the new Fender Somarium Cobalt noiseless pickups in another strat, and these are also worth looking at too, plus, no noise is always a plus with single coils.