PDA

View Full Version : Tele American Deluxe

warren0728
January 8th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking about getting this American Deluxe tele. Has anyone had one of these guitars? I'm not sure what the s-1 switching advantages are so if someone coul;d explain the benfits i would be grateful.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101600782

How does it compare to non-fender tele style guitars in the same price range.

Also...as a home player is this guitar overkill? Would i be just as happy with a Standard (MIM) tele? Is there that much difference between the two besides the s-1 switch and if not is the s-1 switching really a valuable addition?

I play mostly blues...but also play some classic rock and might join my churches praise band as well.

thoughts....

ww

Nelskie
January 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Define overkill. Do you mean it as "too much" guitar for you to justify spending the money on it. If you look at as taking your playing to the next level with a high-quality instrument, and the pure enjoyment you'd have in owning it, then I'd define something more along the lines of it being a "natural progression". You may even find that owning a better-quality instrument provides you with the addeded incentive of practicing more. All are "win-win" situations for you as a guitarist.

BTW - that's a beautiful guitar on the link. Red American Tele . . . yummy!. I might be going out on a limb here, but know you would love it! :)

warren0728
January 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
actually its tangerine orange! My local shop has one and it is the best looking guitar in the place!

I have a 54 ford truck and i think i am going to paint it orange too!

ww

warren0728
January 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
nelskie....as for overkill....i guess i am trying to justify the price difference. I am sure the electronics and such on the deluxe are better but i am wondering if there is enough difference for me to really tell the difference.

Of course only the deluxe comes in the tangerine orange and i love the way it looks!

Not sure about the s-1 switching either. Would love for someone to explain that to me.

Evidently it switches the two pickups from in series to parallel. Sounds good but what exactly does that mean and what does it accomplish sound wise.

Thanks for everyones help....what a great forum thefret is!

ww

marnold
January 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
S-1 setup seems odd. I know that they also have a four-way switch for Teles that allows the same thing: bridge, both series, both parallel, neck. Positions 2 and 4 on a typical Strat have the pickups in parallel. It is also the standard on Teles when both pickups are used together.

Parallel is wiring the two pickups side by side. Series wires them end-to-end. With two equal resistances, series wiring results in the sum of the two. In other words: more mid-range, more power! Parallel wiring results in 1/4 of the combined values. The sound is weaker, but bright and clean.

When I do my Tele project, I intend to use a four-way switch and get the best of both worlds.

warren0728
January 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM
thanks marnold....that clears things up for me

ww

Nelskie
January 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Warren - You know, if you're looking to get into a Telecaster-style guitar, might I suggest that you consider the G & L ASAT Tribute Series. I just picked up one of these myself, and it's a fantastic guitar. A true Tele in every sense of the word - except the hefty Fender Made In The USA price tag. I think these are going for around $400 - $450 on Ebay, and for the money, its a lot of guitar. Great tone, excellent quality, traditional aesthetics. Might be something you might want to consider. Anyways, check out the G & L thread under the "Other Brands" section of the forum. Also, here's a link to the outlet where I bought mine:

http://www.guitardeals.com/

Look for the "Instruments" link on the left side of the page; then, hit "G & L ASAT" - should take you right there.

warren0728
January 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM
nelskie,

For some reason i want a true fender guitar. I know i'm going to pay extra for that name but all my other guitars are copies of the originals. My "strat" is a 1990's pevey predator internation edition...plays great, stays in tune, etc and i have Ibanez GAX30TR which is similar to an SG style. This guitar is fine too. (both of these are in my avatar). I just want to treat my self to an original! (although the G & L's look great and seem to be a good deal on the money side).

I know i probably shouldn't get caught up in the name game.....

ww : )

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM
nelskie,

For some reason i want a true fender guitar. I know i'm going to pay extra for that name but all my other guitars are copies of the originals. My "strat" is a 1990's pevey predator internation edition...plays great, stays in tune, etc and i have Ibanez GAX30TR which is similar to an SG style. This guitar is fine too. (both of these are in my avatar). I just want to treat my self to an original! (although the G & L's look great and seem to be a good deal on the money side).

I know i probably shouldn't get caught up in the name game.....

ww : )

Warren,

There isn't anything wrong with treating yourself to quality name brand equipment. If you have the means.....do it. If you have to scrimp and save...all the more better...you'll appreciate it more. :) But just do it.

marnold
January 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Warren - You know, if you're looking to get into a Telecaster-style guitar, might I suggest that you consider the G & L ASAT Tribute Series.

Do those have the rib-cage cutaway on the back of the body a la most guitars these days or are they completely flat like a Fender Tele?

tremoloman
January 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
The S1 system isn't for everyone, but I love 'em on both my Strats.

As for the American Deluxe Tele, I'd say go for it! The Deluxe is only a few more bucks, and you get locking tuners that make changing strings a breeze, as well as super detailed work on the neck. The neck alone sold me once I compared an American standard vs. the deluxe.

The only way to tell for yourself is to go to the store and give 'em a try.

WannaTele
March 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
T-man: what was it about the neck that grabbed you?

tremoloman
July 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
T-man: what was it about the neck that grabbed you?

Wow... I never replied to your question WT so now I'll answer. :)

The neck has abalone inlays, but the rolled edges and super smooth neck are a thing of beauty. The necks on the Deluxe series are effortless to play. Once you try one you won't look back.