PDA

View Full Version : Strat Standard question (and Strats in general, I guess)

Danzego
March 26th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I was at Guitar Center today and one of my missions was to check out a Strat Standard SSS, since I've been considering buying one eventually. I think it would be a nice complement to my Epi LP; like the two sides of a coin.

However, the one I played there wasn't really all that. I mean, it felt ok overall, but the action was pretty high compared to my Epi LP and really, just higher than what I like in general. Of course, I'm aware that an adjustment would probably fix that, as long as the neck is sound, but then I know that some guitars just aren't "low action" guitars to begin with (I'm sure someone realizes what I mean). Like with LP's, they're kind of reknown for being one of the lowest of the low.

Question is, are Strats generally pretty low action guitars, or mid to high? Does it tend to vary a lot between model and where they're made? As you can tell, I don't know anything about them. Up until my LP, I was one of those "pointy guitar" guys and Strats are about as anti-cool as you can get in that regard (save for, say, a Gretsch or similar). So kinda bear with me, eh? ;)

marnold
March 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Strats can be pretty much anything you want them to be. The main difference between a typical Strat and a typical pointy is that the fretboard on most Strats will not be as flat (one notable exception is my Showmaster, which is not a typical Strat by any means). That will make it easier for chording, but perhaps a bit more difficult for bending. Don't expect that a Strat (or any other guitar for that matter) will be set up just the way you want it in the store or out of the box.

Spudman
March 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Strats typically get their best tone with higher action. Not all Strat actions are high though. Robing Trower, Rory Gallagher come to mind when I think of higher action players, but many of the new school European shredders have their action quite low. Different style of playing.

Strats can be difficult to play in comparison to a Les Paul but that is where the uniqueness and signature sound comes from for the individual player. All that wrestling contributes to your characteristic signature sound and style.

Jimi75
March 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Danzego, a Strat is the most versatile mucial weapon you can get. This guitar type allows you to play very low and very high action and it still sounds good.

Tell your tech what you desire and he can manage this for you. Once you get used to a Strat you will love it.

I remember that when I went to school in the 80'as Strats were the most uncool guitar you could play.....nahhhh that's stupid.

marnold
March 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Actually, I think Telecasters are the most uncool guitar, at least from a hard rock/metal perspective. Of course I have one, so there you go.

Katastrophe
March 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I own an '06 MIM Standard Strat. The guitar plays better than my ESP. I managed a fairly low action, and with a new nut, I'll probably get it even lower. The neck is very comfy, and the 9.5" radius is a good compromise between "bendability" and chording. No, it's not perfect, and there are other good playing guitars out there, but it's a good buy for the money.

t_ross33
March 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Actually, I think Telecasters are the most uncool guitar, at least from a hard rock/metal perspective.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! HERATIC!! BLASPHEMER!!! May the ghosts of Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Buck Owens and John 5 haunt you until your dying days! :D

Of course I have one, so there you go.

Oh, I guess it's okay then :) And Bruce ain't dead either. Buck is (unfortunately), John has the cool zombie makeup and the jury is still out on Keef :D

TWANNGGGGG!

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I would say my MIM 60th std strat is medium. Certainly does not feel high to me. Spudman has played mine. He can say how it compares as to string height better than I. He does have a larger population of strats from which to draw statistics.:p When you go look at standard strats, try out a 60th ann. standard if they have one. I thought it was better than the other MIMs that I tried in the couple stores I went to, head to head in the store. Remember though, this is a newbie talking. :)

Mark
March 26th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Keef cannot be killed! Everytime the grim reaper comes for Keef he gets him so stoned ole grim forgets who he came to get in the first place!:D

Danzego
March 27th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Well, if I were to get one, I would probably get a MIM Standard since, as I mentioned elsewhere on the site, I AM a lowly college student working part time. The $430 bucks it would cost me for that (I would only settle for a sunburst since I can't really stand solid color painted guitars) is already stretching it. A 60 Strat is definitely out of my range. :(

But then with all this talk about them kind of being a higher action guitar in general is kind of making me weary. I don't have huge hands to begin with, so anything more that I have to wrestle with tends to annoy me. The reason I got into LP's in the first place was for their killer low action.

But then that still doesn't take care of the whole issue of me getting a single coil pickup guitar. Maybe there's some other brand out there that make some nice, non shredder looking or feeling guitars that can play and be the blues. Has anyone tried the PRS SE guitars? Even though I would have to save longer, I kinda like the Tobacco Sunburst model of this one:

http://www.prsguitars.com/seegssh/index.html

Danzego
March 27th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Oh, and John5 may have his Zombie makeup look, but Keef already has that naturally!! :P

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2007, 09:01 AM
A Strat will make you a better guitar player Danzego. Especially if you also play low actioned Epi LPs. You may find that "fighting" your Strat some will cause you to really pay attention to how you approach your playing and phrasing and can be a big plus IMO. Trust me, once you set up your action the way YOU want it at home and get some good strings on there it won't be bad at all.

......and your playing will improve 10 fold.

......and so will your tone.

:)

PS - Teles are freakin' cool!!! :DR

helliott
March 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I've got two PRS guitars, and I'll bet you wouldn't be disappointed. The SEs are entry level guitars, but I've played them and they're still PRS quality. One thing though is that while PRS humbuckers are awsome, I find their single coils not as great.
Also, I wouldn't be so easily turned off Strats. I've played them high and low and regardless, if you get one that works for you, you'll love it. It's the ultimate single coil in my books. Trick is to play enough of them that you find one that speaks to you, whether it's MIM or Squier. And I wouldn't rule out a used baby, which means you might be able to look into American made. Nothing wrong with the others, but my experience is that the U.S. Strats are a little better built.
Good luck.

Danzego
March 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks, helliot. Yeah, I intend to keep looking and checking out different models to see the differences between them. I figure it's like my Epi LP- within the same store, you're going to find some dogs and some beauts.

I mean, heck, I got adventurous the other day and even picked up two Gibsons while I was there. One of them had action that I could put my fingers under (almost quite literally) and the other, I fretted at the 12th and picked it, got a horrible dead note, and I put it right back down. I guess I shouldn't judge just based on the one guitar. :)

TS808
April 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I was at Guitar Center today and one of my missions was to check out a Strat Standard SSS, since I've been considering buying one eventually. I think it would be a nice complement to my Epi LP; like the two sides of a coin.

However, the one I played there wasn't really all that. I mean, it felt ok overall, but the action was pretty high compared to my Epi LP and really, just higher than what I like in general. Of course, I'm aware that an adjustment would probably fix that, as long as the neck is sound, but then I know that some guitars just aren't "low action" guitars to begin with (I'm sure someone realizes what I mean). Like with LP's, they're kind of reknown for being one of the lowest of the low.

Question is, are Strats generally pretty low action guitars, or mid to high? Does it tend to vary a lot between model and where they're made? As you can tell, I don't know anything about them. Up until my LP, I was one of those "pointy guitar" guys and Strats are about as anti-cool as you can get in that regard (save for, say, a Gretsch or similar). So kinda bear with me, eh? ;)

I get pretty low action on my strats. I set the action at 2/32" above the 17th fret, with about .010 relief at the 8th fret. You may get a little bit of fret buzz if you use 9's with that action (I use 9's) but with 10's it's a great set up.

tremoloman
April 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I can relate to this big time... my first "real" guitar was a MIM back in '94. I had it for a couple of years but wanted to get an Ibanez because "it had the killer thin neck dude". The Ibanez sounded better for metal but besides that it sounded awful. I got used to the horrible acuostics Floyd Rose equipped guitars have and my playing very sloppy. I couldn't seem to improve and felt all I'd ever be able to do is play sloppy power chords.

The one day my girlfriend asks me if I can setup her brother's guitar for him. She brings to me a Squier Standard Strat. I laughed at first expecting to be a piece of balsa wood with strings, but once I plugged it in I couldn't put it down. The tone, the feel, the vibe... it just blew away my Ibanez. I setup the guitar for him and played it every day until he asked for it back.

A week after giving back the Squier the Ibanez was gone and was replaced with another Strat. I wound up right back where I started. It's true what they say... "you don't know what you got until it's gone". After only a few weeks my playing vastly improved and I was overtaken by music more than ever.

The Strat is the greatest and most versatile electric guitar ever made IMHO. It has its faults, but you just can’t beat its low cost and adaptability.

A Strat will make you a better guitar player Danzego. Especially if you also play low actioned Epi LPs. You may find that "fighting" your Strat some will cause you to really pay attention to how you approach your playing and phrasing and can be a big plus IMO. Trust me, once you set up your action the way YOU want it at home and get some good strings on there it won't be bad at all.

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2007, 05:38 AM

:)

PS - Teles are freakin' cool!!! :DR

Haha, I was gonna say-- if he wants a real fight on his hands, he needs a Tele! ;)

Big_Rob
April 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
It should be mandatory (under penalty of the law :p ) that when you buy a Strat the next thing you do after you buy it, is get it set up to your liking.

Everytime I go into a music store and I pick up a Strat (be it a MIM or a HWY 1) they all have different factory setups. I can nver seem to find one (sans custom shop) that feels like my MIM at home.

I chalk it up to the person that set it up in the Fender factory and how they felt that day.

Spudman
April 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Sometimes these guitars go to the importer's warehouse first for set up. They do some set up at the factory, but the importer will have a staff dedicated to do this procedure. And, it certainly is sometimes evident how they felt that day.

Now...at the Ibanez importer I will say that they are incredibly consistent. I never seem to hear anybody complaining about new Ibanez setups. I've visited the set up room for the Ibanez importer for the western USA, Chesbro Music, and the guys there seem to care. All of them play and very well at that. Maybe Fender has a different thing going on?

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Strats are about as anti-cool as you can get in that regard (save for, say, a Gretsch or similar). So kinda bear with me, eh? ;)
Time for a Gretsch!

Kid: "My guitar is a Gretsch, that's so anti-cool, Mom"

Mom: "And that's what makes it cool, right?"

Kid: "No, jeez"

Where's the rebels? It's hard to find them in rock. ;)

pie_man_25
May 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Actually, I think Telecasters are the most uncool guitar, at least from a hard rock/metal perspective. Of course I have one, so there you go.

what about Jimmy page? he played a tele, and he's metal. I'm metal, and I play a tele (copy). I love them, I want a real fender now.