PDA

View Full Version : Amp blueprints, tube datasheets, & amp prints

tot_Ou_tard
March 26th, 2007, 05:59 AM
For the total geek or builder:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/datasheets.html

This guy works for Groove Tubes & says this on that page:

Actual test results on current production tubes

One reason I will be doing this, is that all current tube makers show the specs for their tubes by just copying the specs of the past
that are the standards. Unfortunately ... everybody falls way short of the standards and the range of specs in any given run is +/-
50% typically, and typically on the minus side. There is very little consistency today.

I am in the process of building datasheets for all the GT proprietary tubes and I am working with Aspen to get him to allow me to
publish ACTUAL data and curves, not just replicate spec. I want to do this on EVERYBODY'S current production tubes and publish
this. Doing things this way will there be a bit better chance of keeping the tube makers honest and have them improve or utilize
better QA processes. I spent almost ten years at United Technologies doing QA so it is a bit hard to let go of some of those
methods. That is one reason the GT-12AX7M has gone through at least ten design and tooling changes, and many material
changes. I get samples, I find problems, I shut down production if I can.

If, as an example, the GT 12AX7M has specs that are not as good as they should be, they will be published just like everybody
else's as an example. The same set of standards will apply to everybody. Hopefully some day we can once again have tubes that
are the same in their specs and the only decision for the player will be to pick what tonal characteristics they prefer. Right now
most people cannot even compare two tubes tonally as they generally differ way too much to make it an accurate comparison.