PDA

View Full Version : Human Factor - made an experience

Jimi75
March 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Okay folks, last friday we had the first rehearsal in 1,5 months with the metal band I am in. I have to say that we pre-composed 5 songs in the home studio and recorded them roughly.

On that friday I didn't hear myself very good, I felt a little uncomfortable with how my guitar hang around my neck and our drummer who came back from a 2 week surfing trip seemed to be mentally still on holiday.

Now you can say, okay it was just a bad day for rehearsing next time will be better, but it was not! I lost control over my playing and after that day I thought the follwing:

We all I guess spend quite alot of time in front of the computer making music. It's great for us, when you sit you can play the guitar the most comfortable position, if the backing track is to loud you just turn the volume down a little bit, you want this or that sound, just download the patch, if the guitar is not in tune you hear it immediately, slow down drumbeats, having a cup of fresh brewed coffee beside your desk and in case you need a tab, well I do not have to go further do I?

For the first time I felt like living off the fat of the land, but this is not what I wanted. Am I a two-faced guitar player now? someone who can play his best licks only in front of the computer...who's a good player also live, but never reaches the peak that he reaches when jamming virtually?

I rehearse twice a week and play live very often, so not enough live experience can not be the issue.

What I learned from this is that you can never exclude the human factor, I am very happy with the possibilities that we have through the whole computer thing, but there is nothing like the real live thing with a band.

SuperSwede
March 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Jimi, that happens to all of us from time to time. You cannot deliver 100% all of the time, and most drummers that I´ve ever know has been on some kind of permanent mental vacation.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Jimi , exactly what Super said , 6 out of 10 times i suck , its the 4 other times that keep me playin .. and everyone knows that drummers are the goalies of music if they arnt trippin' they aint breathin ... 6S9L

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
So all right!! Tonight, I got to play for the first time with a full band. Garage style, with a bunch of amps and a PA, in a basement built for tunes. Real drummer with lots of cymbals, (Did I say it was loud?) good lead guitarist with a Schecter S-1 Elite and a Marshall and some of his own really nice tunes, good rhythm friend with his acoustic electric and his bag of Stones, Dylan, Neil and Dead tunes, and I followed along as best I could. It was way different than anything I had done, While my looper is a good, practical substitute, this was way better. Another guitarist with a japanese squire strat and some tasty blues licks up and down the neck showed up a while later, so whe had four guitars and a drummer. Way fun. And Trev, we played "Keep on Rockin in the Free World" for a long time. :DR :D

t_ross33
March 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM
And Trev, we played "Keep on Rockin in the Free World" for a long time. Anyway, it was sure fun for me! :DR :D

:R :D

Come to the dark side, Luke! Resistance is futile - you will be assimilated!

Rawk on brother! Jammin' is the best way I know to improve, providing your jam-mates are half way competent of course. It's even better if you have to push yourself to try and keep up a bit.

Can I have your autograph when you get famous? Let me know when your world tour swings through my neck of the woods - I'd love to sit in with ya!

Trev

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Trev - sorry, but you are mixing sci-fi references there! LOL! Hey Man, thanks, but I was fully just trying to keep up, and not mess up the the guys that really know how to play. At least I have a modicum of timing. And you can bet if I get up that way I will come find you. Would love to try and keep up with your guys. You sound like you have a lot of fun, which is what I am in it for. Thanks Bro!