PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 Pod XT

Nelskie
January 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Anyone here own, use, or have played through one of these? Up until now, I've been patiently waiting for someone to do a post on one of these little magic boxes, but so far - nada! I've heard some pretty awesome guitar stuff done with this piece of gear, and have even watched a couple of players use these live, either running them as a pre-amp, or directly into the board. They're loaded with all kinds of tones and features. The new Pod XT goes for around $300, and considering all that it can do, esp. in the home-recording dept., it seems like a pretty worthwhile piece of great to have.

Here's a link to the Pod XT tone sample page on the Line 6 website. Some of these tones are dangerously close to the originals, so prepare yourself:

http://www.line6.com/podxt/sounds.html

I'm seriously considering getting one of these, and would like to hear what everyone else thinks of them - esp. from the recording stand-point.

Spudman
January 9th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Nelski

I'm using a Behringer Vamp 2 which is reportedly, according to users who have used both, the same thing just costs less. They even have a Pro rackmount version with USB.
However, Listen to Ayreon's "The Human Equation" or "Electric Castle" albums. Both are done into a computer with a POD. Killer tones.

Either way I'm sure you'll dig having one. I run my Vamp into the effect loop of any of my guitar amps and get some dynamite sounds. Try it with 2 amps and hold on. S-T-E-R-E-O! Yowsa.

Check out the reviews of both units at Harmony Central first.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Behringer/V_Amp_2-1.html
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Line_6/Pod_Pro_XT-1.html

Nelskie
January 9th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Spud - Have you done any recording with the V-Amp directly into a computer? Also, do you need to have an effects loop to be able to run it directly into an amp? I've read up some on this issue, and it seems like a lot of players don't get things hooked up right, or have things like the cabinet emulation on, and are disappointed with the sounds / tones that they are getting. While its good to have some options as far as playing live is concerned, the primary reason I would buy it would be for computer-direct recording. I'm perfectly happy with the live tones I get through my amps, so a Pod or a V-Amp wouldn't be a "go-to" option in that sense.

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Nelski, I have the Korg AX10g Amp Modeler. I got it from my wife this christmas. I will upload a clip and review when Robert gets the MP3 upload running again.

Nelskie
January 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks Swede - I look forward to hearing them.

Nelskie
April 23rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Man, what was I thinking back in January, and me not using my POD XT for live use? Not only does this that little red bean totally rock, it is more than well-suited for use in a live environment, provided that 1.) you've read the manual; 2.) you comprehend the parts about input / output devices in relation to the unit's settings; and 3.) you've read the manual. Did I mention the part about reading the manual?

Ever since acquiring my Tech 21 amp (which I run the POD through), it has been tone-farming free-for-all. A big, fat, juicy, thick, tasty, chimey, twangy free-for-all. Folks, this stuff sounds fantastic live, and there's absolutely no reason you should limit the POD to line-in recording use only. It's meant to be cranked up, and played hard, just like any other good amp would be. I have yet to try the unit run directly through a P.A., but I do assume that situation will eventually present itself down the road. And having read the manual several times, I'm assuming that I am properly "in the know" to be able to pull it off with satisfactory effect.

It is also important that you understand that running the POD through a regular amp will slightly colour its tone. Rather than get into details, here is a link to the previous post I did on that very subject:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=4457&postcount=1

Another thing I've also addressed with regards to the POD: like any amp-modeling gear / equipment, it does not sound exactly like the real thing. Does it sound "in the ballpark"? Most definitely! Plus, when you add all of the other things into that equation - stompbox models, cabinet models, tube pre-amp, USB connectivity, and direct-recording features, this is one feature-packed device that is loads of fun to play through. As a matter of fact, I don't ever see myself without one.

For POD-inclined Fretters, here are a few links to some good websites. The latter (3) have some nice tone patches for download:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jan03/articles/line6podxt.asp
http://www.minimumblue.com/guitar/guitar-podbystyle.html
http://www.robtognoni.com/line6.htm
http://www.instituteofnoise.com/l6/filesearch.asp

Myself, I've read one too many nasty anti-POD / anti-modeling reviews from opinionated, die-hard tube-heads. Since I know that many of our fellow forum members are Vox Valvetronix converts, I am pretty sure that there are a lot of folks like me who think its time that gear manufacturers embracing modern modeling technology got a fair shake, and a tip of the hat for their efforts in bringing the classic tones of the greatest amps, cabinets, and effects of all time to the everyday player. Really, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to enjoy the fantastic groove of a '58 Fender Bassman, the stinging blues vibe of a '66 Marshall JTM-45, or the all-out assault of a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier without having to pony up a small fortune.

That technology is here - right now! So why not enjoy it? ;)

SuperSwede
April 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
I could not agree more with you Nelskie... I am really satisfied with my Tonelab.

Spudman
April 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Oh no! Nelskie is one of the Pod People!! Run people, run! Pretty soon we'll all become Pod People.

I dibs the movie rights.

Tim
April 24th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Not to worry Spud's! As you know I own one of those blue guitar body modeler. I will be sending you a PM on some questions on it's use.

Nelskie
April 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Oh no! Nelskie is one of the Pod People!! Run people, run! Pretty soon we'll all become Pod People.

I dibs the movie rights.
Nice. As long as Angelina stars as my love interest, and ZZ Top is doing the soundtrack, the big-screen adaptation should be gas! ;)

But really, the POD XT is a way cool piece of gear. If I could take it back with me to 1983, in Mr. Peabody's Way-Back machine, there's no telling what could have happened.

Spudman
April 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
But really, the POD XT is a way cool piece of gear. If I could take it back with me to 1983, in Mr. Peabody's Way-Back machine, there's no telling what could have happened.

Can you imagine if Buddy Holly would have had one? Oh my gosh! Peggy Sue would have gotten run over by a British stack.

Nelskie
December 21st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Even though I know there aren't a whole lot of PODxt users on our forum, I still thought I'd share a new patch link that I recently found on the Line 6 user's forum. Some of the POD gurus over there have posted their tone bundles, and let me tell you, these guys can work magic with the little red bean. I think a few of these were posted on another POD-related thread here on FN, but for the life of me I can't find it. Anyways - besides those that were already posted, there's a bunch of new ones. Here's the link:

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=016178&p=

Remember, in order to load these patches / bundles into your PODxt, you'll need the Line 6 Editor (*provided with the PODxt package.), along with current drivers, etc. (*readily availble by using your Line 6 Monkey utility.) Angel1973's bundle of classic Fender amps is awesome, and highly recommended if you want to groove out to some classic Stones (which I've been known to do on occasion. :D )

Also of note: some of the tones in these bundles may require one / several of the Line 6 add-on packs. As one might surmise, if you don't have them, the patch won't work. A good majority of them, however, do work with the models that originally came with your PODxt, and with those that came with the 3.0 version upgrade.

Robert
December 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
I should really get a POD. I have trouble recording at home because there's always people and kids around and I want to crank my amp a bit when recording.

The POD sounds really good, and must a perfect thing for recording ideas.

Ahh well, another thing to buy... it never stops does it?

Thanks for the tip, N - if I ever get a POD I'll try some of those patches.

Tim
December 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hey Nelskie - looks like you found yourself a little gold mine. How do the different patches compare to each other and are they usable? Most patches I downloaded for my V-Amp2 were of heavy metal settings. I prefer clean and slightly crunched type tones.

Nelskie
December 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM
Tim - Tone-wise, if you can imagine it, the PODxt can bring it to life. Overall, I'm very pleased with the tones I get from my PODxt, most especially the cleaner & slightly over-driven timbres. Couple that with the nearly endless supply of tones via the Line 6 Custom Tone website, there really isn't any tonal territory I can't cover with it.

http://line6.com/customtone/

One thing I have noticed, though, is that some of the higher gain models do emit sort a bit of a fuzzy hiss now and then, so you have to really watch your control settings on both PODxt unit, as well as on the guitar. This along with keeping it at a reasonable distance from computer monitors and similar electronic devices. I don't think this situation is exclusive to POD units, though.

I've also been experimenting with an ART Project Series MP tube pre-amp in the signal chain (before the POD unit), with some very impressive results. What this allows me to do is to add the gain before the processor, and thus, turn down the gain settings on the PODxt unit itself. Without having to effectively "re-create" distortion through the unit's digital "clipping" process (which the tube pre-amp is already doing), the base signal (i.e. the amp emulation) remains more in tact. As well, the 12AX7 tube in the ART pre-amp adds both warmth and character to the overall tone. True - it's not the "real thing", but for me, it works very nicely. Here's a link to the ART Tube MP over at MF:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Project-Series-Tube-MicrophoneInstrument-Preamp?sku=180643

While the $299 price tag might seem a bit steep for a unit like the PODxt, what you also have to factor into that equation are Line 6's great support channels, the vast POD user community, and it's incredible versatility in creating so many different tones. It's an incredibly cool piece of gear. :cool:

Spudman
December 21st, 2006, 09:52 PM
Tim
There are tons of Vamp patches on the web that aren't metal. I'll try to find my links and PM them to you.

YA the POD sure sounds good. I listen to albums by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree and any Arjen Lucassen album (Ayreon, Stream Of Passion) and am totally amazed that a lot of the recorded guitar sounds are direct from a POD. All of Arjen's electrics are!

One cool thing for Vamp users is that there is now a conversion program that changes POD patches into Vamp patches.

Nelskie
January 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
. . . Couple that with the nearly endless supply of tones via the Line 6 Custom Tone website, there really isn't any tonal territory I can't cover with it. http://line6.com/customtone/
Sadly, the powers that be over at Line 6 have decided to close the PODxt section of the Custom Tone website. Apparently, this due to the fact that many people "tweak" many of the posted tones, and then re-post them under their own name. As I see it, however, just as many people are posting all new tones, so it seems to even itself out. Anyways - the administrators don't like it, and they've decided to pull the plug. As of Feb. 1, it will no longer be. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out like the Great Open Mic Fiasco of 2006, and they'll decide to re-open it again?

So, to all (3) of the PODxt people who frequent the forum (that's from my last count), if you want some new tones to play with - - the clock is ticking. T-minus (8) days . . . and counting.

Lev
January 24th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up Nelskie!

NPauly
January 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I should really get a POD. I have trouble recording at home because there's always people and kids around and I want to crank my amp a bit when recording.

The POD sounds really good, and must a perfect thing for recording ideas.

Being such a big Vox guy I would have thought that the new Tonelab LE was already on its way to your house. ;)

Ok now for my real question ...

How does the Line 6 POD XT Live stack-up to the new Vox Tonelab LE? Pros, cons? I'm considering purchasing one or the other in the coming months and I'm looking for opinions ...

Robert
January 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Haha, Npauly, I am not married to any brand! I have noticed that people think I am 100% Vox - not true. I'd play anything that sounds good. All Line 6 stuff I've tried is the Spider II which I didn't like and the POD XT briefly, which I did like.

The Tonelab SE vs POD XT Live would indeed be an interesting comparison. Either would probably do the job great for me. At this point I wouldn't use it live though since I don't think I have the right amp for such a job.

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Check out this wiki link that mid-way down details Joseph Arthur's one man band looping performances and what he uses. (Sound Processors section). He uses both Tonelab and Line 6 products, with "4 rackmounted units of the Lexicon JamMan". I don't really know what any of that means but thought it might interest those that do this stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Arthur

Nelskie
January 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
How does the Line 6 POD XT Live stack-up to the new Vox Tonelab LE? Pros, cons? I'm considering purchasing one or the other in the coming months and I'm looking for opinions ...
Our friend Warren posted this very informative modeler head-to-head from the Stompbox.net a few months ago. I found a lot of good information in this in-depth review here:

http://www.thestompbox.net/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=21

Zoom's new G-series processors are starting to trip a few wires around the 'net - esp. their G7.1ut and G9.2tt models, which feature a "tube energizer circuit" similar to the Vox Tonelab. They might be worth checking out, too. Here's a link to the Zoom web page.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g92tt/

As for the PODxt and XTL, they're both solid as far as tones go. I have the PODxt, and like it a lot. It's great for both line-in work, as well as for playing live (provided that you spend some time learning how to properly set it up to do so.) Bear in mind that with any piece of modeling gear, there's going to be a learning curve. With the POD stuff, maybe even more so. There are a ton of internet sites, to include the Line 6 forum, for you to reference when starting out, and they all have a lot of good information in regards to sound patches, settings, tips, live use, and recording.

The Super Swede and tot au tard both use the Vox Tonelab. From what I've read here on FN, they both seem to like theirs a lot. Maybe they can chime in and offer their thoughts.

warren0728
January 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Our friend Warren posted this very informative modeler head-to-head from the Stompbox.net a few months ago.
i don't think that was me...but a few months is a long time to remember something!! :D

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM
The Super Swede and tot au tard both use the Vox Tonelab. From what I've read here on FN, they both seem to like theirs a lot. Maybe they can chime in and offer their thoughts.
Hey Nelsk! That's tot Ou tard, you make me sound like some kinda entree :D
BTW, entree = appetizer not main course.

Yes, I love my Tonelab, but I've never tried a Pod XTL. I did try a Zoom G2 & exchanged it (along with some cash) for the Tonelab. I liked the tones better & I'll take knobs over deeply layered menus any day!

That said, I resolutely refuse to give recommendations to all but absolute beginners, because I really don't know what I am talking about!

warren0728
January 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
i love tater tots.... ;) :D

ww

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
i love tater tots.... ;) :D

ww
Jeez, thanks Warren :o

Lev
January 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I absolutley adore my Zoom G2, it is a pain in the *** to sift through the menus and settings so you need to spend alot of time with it. However I do get some unbelievable tones out of it. I don't really know or care if the amp models sound like the originals but it gives me tones that work for me and that's really all that counts. I use it in front of the HR deluxe and tend to favour the Marshall Crunch model with the gain backed off to 50ish, really creamy lush bluesy sound. I'd actually pay the price of the G2 just for that sound but then when you add all the other models, stereo effects, really usable noise gate, excellent Eq options....... Love it!

If I was a gigging musician I'd definitly go for the G7 or G9 because of the extra flexibilty for storing and recalling patches on the fly and I'd be interesting to hear how the tube warms the sound. I also love my PODxt but tend to use it just to record, I never got around to getting the shortboard floor controller for it so hence I've not invested too much time in working on a live setup with the POD (it's on my to do list).

stingx
January 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Been a PodXT owner since '03. Line 6 is a top-shelf company. They still release updates for it regularly. I am at the latest firmware, have all the model packs and have made and submitted over 145 patches over the years. I use it to "re-amp" in Cubase when recording as well. As much as I love it and have made extensive recordings with it - just look at http://stubble.org/music where 98% of what you hear there was recorded with the XT - I never liked it outside of a recording device. I have really tried to but it just doesn't do it for me. For me there's nothing like just plugging a Strat into a tube amp. Gets me every time.

Anyway, I will post back in this thread later tonight after work and direct you to the motherload of all PodXT patches. Enough patches to consume all your time where you'll end up getting divorced, losing your job, being alienated by friends, etc. for lack of attention to anything else.

Oh, and comparing it to a V-Amp is like comparing a Ferrari to a Chevy. Sorry Spud. :rolleyes:

SuperSwede
January 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have the Tonelab, and I have played with the PodXT on a few occations. Both are great products, but I wouldnt trade my TL for a XT. The TL sounds better to my ears, and the user interface is nothing but brilliant.
Both products need extensive tweaking before they really start to sound fantastic, especially the tonelab comes with horrible user patches.

oldguy
January 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I have owned a Digitech RP50, and own a Zoom 505II and Digitech RP250.
They all required preset tweaking to get decent sounds on several presets.
Never having owned the POD, Tonelab, V-amp, I assumed they probably had better factory presets right out of the box, but it sounds like tweaking is a prerequisite for most, if not all modelers?

Tone2TheBone
January 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I have owned a Digitech RP50, and own a Zoom 505II and Digitech RP250.
They all required preset tweaking to get decent sounds on several presets.
Never having owned the POD, Tonelab, V-amp, I assumed they probably had better factory presets right out of the box, but it sounds like tweaking is a prerequisite for most, if not all modelers?

I'm really liking the RP units based on your backing track takes. GAS is hitting early this year on several things......

Spudman
January 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Oh, and comparing it to a V-Amp is like comparing a Ferrari to a Chevy. Sorry Spud. :rolleyes:

HEY! The appologies go on a different thread.;)

I totally agree....but Chevy does make the Corvette.:D