PDA

View Full Version : Neck adjustment help needed

Robert
March 27th, 2007, 01:51 PM
My SX acoustic is bent on being a pain... :D

The acoustic has a truss rod, but I have a problem with the neck that I don't think I can fix by adjusting the truss rod. You see, at the point where the neck meets the body, a hump is present. How can I fix this?

I made a quick little graphic to illustrate the problem.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I have the same problem with my acoustic which I understand is common. Around the 14th fret? On mine it causes a problem just with the high E string. I was told there are a coupla ways to fix it involving messing with the frets in the area, up to a neck re-set. Easiest might be an adjustment of the fret, I am told, even by tapping it down a little. I am going to have mine addressed sometime soon and I will let you know what ends up being done. No expert here, just passing along what I have been told.

Spudman
March 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Sunvalley covered it pretty well.
I had a Rondo guitar do the same thing so it went back. The solution is filing and tapping (leveling).

M29
March 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Thats pretty much it from what I have heard. You have to bring that area down and the only way is to bring the frets down in that area or take them off and start all over with planeing and refretting. It is very common on acoustics from what I have read. If the offending frets are taken down first you will more then likely have to do them all after that to get everything lined back up again. I had to do this on my Washburn and it worked out okay. I first filed the frets at the high point and then did a light filing of the whole works. Then crowning and polishing. My Washburn had very high frets so I had a lot to work with in fact I wish I had taken more off as they are still pretty high.

M29

M29
March 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Hello Robert,

If you get a chance put as long a straight edge as you can from the fretboard side of the nut toward the bridge and see how many frets keep the straight edge from laying flat around the area where it meets the body. I am curious how many frets need to be worked. You might get away with just lowering those frets and polishing them back up.

M29