PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick just one Stevie Ray tune as you favorite...

Danzego
March 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM
...what would it be? Of course, the rule is, ONLY ONE per customer. You can state which one would make it if it weren't for your number one pick and why, but if you can't narrow it down to just one (the point of the topic), then you can't post. :P

I would normally say Little Wing, but listening to Mary Had a Little Lamb....that song just EXUDES cool more than anything else he did. I'd have to say that's my favorite. :)

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Ok, if just one, Little Wing (live) from Texas Flood. For my backup, I'll pick "They Call Me Guitar Hurricane" from "In the Beginning" because I like raw, early stuff, and it is live in Austin.

marnold
March 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Either his cover "Superstition" or "Life by the Drop." In keeping with the spirit if not the letter of this thread, I'd go with "Superstition." He took an already funky tune and added a healthy dose of blues.

Robert
March 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Couldn't Stand The Weather!

ted s
March 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Too many, but for today I will say "Say What". He's just spankin' that wah into submition.. :R

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
My all time fav is Texas Flood.

t_ross33
March 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I bought "Texas Flood" sound unheard in 1983 based on an interview I read. From the opening bar of "Love Struck Baby" (1st song, side 1) I was totally sucked in. So that's what I'll go with.

Little Wing came a close second until I heard Monte Montgomery's version (I believe it was from a post here on theFretNet). Got to say Monte gets some sweet (amazing) tone from that Alvarez acoustic. Gives SRV a run for the money :cool:

Hogfullofblues
March 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM
What! Pick ONE!

........! Argh, can't do it!

Spudman
March 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Couldn't Stand The Weather.

Sblack
March 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM
My choice is the live version of "Leave my Little Girl Alone" on Greatest Hits Vol. 2. He becomes each note and emotes everything he every was into that song. His live material is wroght with intense feeling and grit.

Danzego
March 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM
What! Pick ONE!

........! Argh, can't do it!

Well, seeing as you included a cool pic of Stevie Ray in place of a song choice, you still earn props. :cool:

Couldn't Stand the Weather is a great choice as well, from Robert and the SpudMaestro. That's definitely my favorite Stevie Ray rhythm riff of all time. It's so jammin'! :D

Katastrophe
March 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Oh, that's easy for me.... "Riviera Paradise." I love the vibe of that tune.:D

duhvoodooman
March 28th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Tin Pan Alley. Naked emotion and a microcosm of SRV's struggles with addiction. "Alley's the roughest place I've ever been...."

aeolian
March 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Mine is "Lenny". Sometimes I just listen to it over-and-over.

Fingers
March 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
"Life by the drop"...............Soooooooo biographical(?)

You can hear it in his voice...................never mind the guitar

SuperSwede
March 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM
This is hard, but lately I´ve been listening a lot to the "Couldn´t stand the weather" album and I really like "Life without you".

helliott
March 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Easier to say which one I don't love than pick a favourite. Ain't Gone Give Up on Love could well be the one, but I also freak over the live version of Willie The Wimp.

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 02:35 AM
TIGHTROPE!

Everything in there, a perfect example of good SRV composing, playing and singing.

Spudman
March 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM
TIGHTROPE!

Everything in there, a perfect example of good SRV composing, playing and singing.

FYI. Tightrope was co-written by Doyle Bramhall as was much of Stevie's material. If you like Stevie check out Doyle's solo albums.

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 08:21 AM
FYI. Tightrope was co-written by Doyle Bramhall as was much of Stevie's material. If you like Stevie check out Doyle's solo albums.

I got an album of Doyle Bramhall Junior and this album is pretty great.

carp3nt3r
April 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM
call me simple minded but it would have to be "pride and joy." it just grooves along, leaves room for improvisation during live performances and is adaptable to different styles(tone.)

hadda make us pick just one dint cha?

carp3nt3r

snarph
April 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
cant make me!!!!!!!!!! :):)