PDA

View Full Version : Strings and things

marnold
March 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Well, I've come to a conclusion. *dramatic pause* I like 10s. There, I said it. I normally had been using GHS Boomers Custom Lights (.009-.046). I had D'Addario EXL140s (.010-.052) put on my Squier '51 when I had the fretwork done, but I tune that down to Eb. For kicks, when I restrung my Charvel I put on GHS Boomers Lights (.010-.046). I must say that it was easier than I thought it would be to adjust to the tension change.

I still don't think I hear a major tonal difference between the Custom Lights and Lights on the higher three strings (the lower three are identical). The advantage is that I'm not fretting chords sharp anymore (especially the open D). The increase in tension also allowed me to lower the action slightly without adding any buzz. Now when I switch to the Fender or Squier, I can bend the strings into oblivion. Next time I restring my '51, I'm going to try out the D'Addario EXL116s (.011-.052). I'm guessing that will give a similar "feel" when tuned down to the .010s in standard tuning.

Of course, if I do something stupid like not play the guitar for four months, I'm going to have to go back to Custom Lights.

Tone2TheBone
March 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I have .010s on my Strat and Tele. I love them...good choice. I've settled on Ernie Balls...again.

Spudman
March 27th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I talked to a guy that played with Scotty Moore years ago. This guy at the time was/is playing with Lee Rocker from the Stray Cats. He told me to go to 11's if I was serious about tone. I told him that I wasn't bionic. He then said 10's should be as light as you go. So from that point on I have played 10-46 and have been very consistently pleased. I think it may be a little more work but like you said the tension thing works out good, and on a Les Paul in standard tuning I think 11's would be fine. On a strat 11's would require me to tune down which is what Chris Duarte does and he uses 11's. Even Steve Vai uses 10's but Satriani uses 9's and Trevor Rabin uses 8's (wimp).;)

Jimi75
March 28th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I used to use .011-.052 plus very high string action - but only until my fingers didn't do the job anymore.

Now I use .010-.46 Dean Markley Blues Steel, still playing a monstrous high string action.

I like 10s,too and have no idea why this should ever change.

t_ross33
March 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I've been using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's on my Peavey Generation EXP, and will be swapping the stock 9's on my new Tele soon. String guage = 9-11-16-26-36-46. I find them to be a nice compromise.

I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky's on my Washburn HB-30. String guage = 11-14-18p-28-38-48. She came with 12's or 13's (complete with a wound G string - insert pun here -). A little heavy for my taste.

Martin Medium guage 13-17-26-35-45-56 on my acoustic.

Having learned to play on an acoustic guitar (with really high action) and bass, I find I have a pretty heavy touch and need a bit heavier strings and higher action on my electrified guitars.

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I talked to a guy that played with Scotty Moore years ago. This guy at the time was/is playing with Lee Rocker from the Stray Cats. He told me to go to 11's if I was serious about tone. I told him that I wasn't bionic. He then said 10's should be as light as you go. So from that point on I have played 10-46 and have been very consistently pleased. I think it may be a little more work but like you said the tension thing works out good, and on a Les Paul in standard tuning I think 11's would be fine. On a strat 11's would require me to tune down which is what Chris Duarte does and he uses 11's. Even Steve Vai uses 10's but Satriani uses 9's and Trevor Rabin uses 8's (wimp).;)

I was thinking I might like to try 11s on my strat once, just because I bend certain chords out of tune (like D in first position) sometimes. I seem to be doing it less though, and maybe should just work on developing more touch. :) Might try it anyway though. Right now, 10-46s (D'Addario ) are on there, and they do not seem to heavy to me.

Danzego
March 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I've been using .010's since I can remember. I always tended to favor Dean Markley Signature Series or DR's. Lately though, I've been using Zakk Wylde Boomers, which range from .010-.60 (his other sig set runs from .011-.70 :eek: ).

However, I restrung my Epi for the first time yesterday (just got it less than two months ago) and put on good ol' Dean Markley's in a .010-.46, which is the gauge the guitar was factory strung with. I just got the thing and I didn't want to go sawing out the entire low end of the nut and all the other setup issues that go with putting those other bottom heavy strings on there. I just wanted to put the strings on there, do the intonation, and be done with it.

I'll probably go up to a .010-.50 or .52 set whenever I get around to bringing it in to a tech, so he can do a real set up on it. :)

helliott
March 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I loved Ernie's 10-46 for years. A couple of years back switched to 11 on top and love that even more. Just changed my Epiphone Sheraton from heavy jazz strings down to a set with 11 on top and it positively sings.

Plank_Spanker
March 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I have played 10-46 D"Addario's for decades and still love them.