PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick one Jimi tune...

Robert
March 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Danzego, sorry for stealing your idea from your SRV thread, but I couldn't resist... I know you will forgive me. :D

Which Jimi tune would you pick? The one you like the most, for whatever reason.

Mine would be "Machine Gun", because of the guitar work, and because of the power in the song itself. Man, I get "Duck Skin" (Swedish version of Goose Bumps) every time I listen to it.

helliott
March 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Another crazy tough question. My pick would be a song that just seems to hit me in a very thoughtful way, Castles Made of Sand.

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I really started listening to Jimi only a couple years ago. My favorite, if I pick one, is Freedom. I just like the whole thing. I like the message and the power of it.

t_ross33
March 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I always liked the vibe of "Hey Joe", probably cuz it's one Jimi tune I can actually play along with :p

Danzego
March 28th, 2007, 11:59 PM
When I opened this thread and saw your disclaimer, Robert, it made me bust out laughing. When I saw the title, I thought "hey, someone took my idea". ;)

My fave Jimi tune, hands down, is definitely "Are You Experienced". When I heard it, I had already heard plenty of Hendrix tunes, but one day at my buddy's house, he laid this one on me. The moment I got done hearing it for the first time, I knew it was not only my favorite Hendrix tune, but one of my favorite songs, period. It wasn't just listening to a song to me- it was an EXPERIENCE.

And no, I was not necessarily stoned.....but, beautiful. :)

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Mine would be FREEDOM!
The groove is absolutely funky rock, brilliant vocal line an the middel part makes you shake your *whatever* :-)

I think Jimi reached his peak when recording "first rays of a new rising sun". All his experience went into this album and especially into this one tune.

duhvoodooman
March 29th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Voodoo Chile--the original 15 min. version, not Slight Return, though that's right up there, too! The guitar work is just amazing, and Steve Winwood's organ work is a fantastic counterpoint to Hendrix's Strat.

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I like Spanish Castle Magic but my fav has to be Red House Blues.

marnold
March 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM
"All Along the Watchtower," the best cover song in the history of ever.

tremoloman
April 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Wow... this is really an impossible question to answer for me!

If I had to pick one song, I'd have to agree with Robert on the original release of Band of Gypsys Machine Gun. The song really captures differnt levels of raw emotion. I feel many of Jimi's influences come screaming though his performance of this song.

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Trem where've you been!!!

tremoloman
April 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Sorry for being gone for so long!

Just when things started to seem to get better, I've had some things come up in my personal life that has taken up all my time the past few months. Nothing real bad mind you, but those unexpected things that come up from time to time.

Well I'm back and happy to see I was remembered! :)
I won't be a ghost any longer!

Your pal,
Trem

snarph
April 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Little wing.....................:):):)

Sblack
April 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
His version of "Red House" from the Live at Winterland concert.

LagrangeCalvert
April 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
voodoo child blues. Live and pure jimi just doing what he does best; Innovate the blues (IMHO)

ShortBuSX
April 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Little wing.....................:):):)

Im with you on that!

But I also like his blues, like Red House and Hear My Train a Comin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKL4EdxON-o)

But Little Wing is my favorite!