PDA

View Full Version : Who would be your teacher?

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 03:04 AM
If you had the chance to get a one week workshop only for you with one of your guitar heros, who would it be and why? (dear or alive...doesn't matter)

Mine would be John Petrucci of Dreamtheater, because he is a very progressive player who still has the blues and rock roots. Furthermore he is a calm personality who can explain the things he plays.

Robert
March 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Scott Henderson or John Scofield, because they are such wicked players. I think I could pick up some clever things from them. I would have a lot of questions for them! :D

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Either Joe Bonamassa or Eric Johnson because their style of smooth elegant legato runs blows my mind and makes me smile. Lots of melody going on in their playing.

sunvalleylaw
March 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I don't know yet. Stll learning tons from you guys. EDIT: I guess I will say the Edge or SRV. EDIT AGAIN: or Neil Young. :DR

helliott
March 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Assuming you need to pick a live teacher, I'd take Warren Haynes. He seems like he'd be a good teacher, to me, anyway.

Danzego
March 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'd say Zakk Wylde. Not only has he been my guitar hero for the last umpteen years, but with his mad pentatonic shredding, maybe he could finally get me around that speed barrier I can't seem to break.

Of course, there's always the problem of me turning into a blithering mongoloid, like the time I met him at the House of Blues, Chicago. I had all this great stuff to ask him about ready and when I finally caught up to him, I just stood there, shaking his hand, going "uhhh...uhhhh....you're my hero, Zakk."

How unhip can one get? I mean really?!?!? :rolleyes:

Big_Rob
March 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Andres Segovia For_The_Win.

Maybe Chet Atkins or even Les Paul.

Big_Rob
March 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I'd say Zakk Wylde. Not only has he been my guitar hero for the last umpteen years, but with his mad pentatonic shredding, maybe he could finally get me around that speed barrier I can't seem to break.

Of course, there's always the problem of me turning into a blithering mongoloid, like the time I met him at the House of Blues, Chicago. I had all this great stuff to ask him about ready and when I finally caught up to him, I just stood there, shaking his hand, going "uhhh...uhhhh....you're my hero, Zakk."

How unhip can one get? I mean really?!?!? :rolleyes:

That reminds me of when Bill Engvall said he met George Straight and went from cool to dork in about 5 seconds

t_ross33
March 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I'm really diggin' Brent Mason lately (see avatar). Not only is he a Tele God, he seems pretty down to earth and the kind of guy you could sit on your deck drinking a beer with :)

B.B. King would be a close second.

SRV, Hendrix, Bonamassa and any of the super-shredder-neo-classical dudes are way, way out of my league :eek:

After that (and more realistic), I want to head over to Camrose and land on Robert's doorstep for a weekend. I think he'd be pretty cool to drink a brewski with too :R

Justaguyin_nc
March 29th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Steve Cropper..............

Robert
March 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM
After that (and more realistic), I want to head over to Camrose and land on Robert's doorstep for a weekend. I think he'd be pretty cool to drink a brewski with too :R

Hehe, I am honoured to be mentioned in such company! :R
Sure, some refreshing drinks and guitar licks are available on my doorstep, come on ohvah!

Sblack
March 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
If you had the chance to get a one week workshop only for you with one of your guitar heros, who would it be and why? (dear or alive...doesn't matter)

Mine would be John Petrucci of Dreamtheater, because he is a very progressive player who still has the blues and rock roots. Furthermore he is a calm personality who can explain the things he plays.

It would unquestionably be John Petrucci. I have his Rock Discipline DVD and Wild Stringdom book/CD, and both are invauable tools for learning. John is a born teacher and extraordinary musician.

LagrangeCalvert
April 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
dunno.....if you caught me 10 years ago I would have said something like "Kerry King".....now I would probably say (and I am not a huge country fan) Brad Paisley. By far one of the most interesting guitarist to listen to. Just listen to some of his instrumental pieces on any of his albums......amazing.

Jamie O
May 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Duane Allman. I don't know if he's be a good teacher but I love the dude so it'd be him just so I could say...hehheehe...lookit who my guitar teacher is.:DR

r_a_smith3530
May 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hmm, for me it would be either Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, or Stanley Clarke. Of the three, Stanley is by far, to me at least, the bass god, but I'm not sure of his teaching style. Marcus is also one of my favorite bass players, and he seems like he'd be fun to learn from. Victor, although not my favorite bass player, just has this way about him. His personality just draws you in, and he's got such a cool way of explaining what he does. I could listen to him for hours on end. He would be my first choice.

BTW, you six-string guitar freaks would do well to check out his brother Reggie. He's truly a virtuoso.

t_ross33
May 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
+1 on Victor! I love his work with the Flecktones!

r_a_smith3530
May 14th, 2007, 07:29 AM

If you like his stuff with the Flecktones, try to check out his performance from Bass Day '98. During this performance/clinic, he explains how he started, at the age of two, being taught by his older brother Reggie, then ten. Then, he goes on to bring his brother on stage, and they end up getting into a "thump-off" with Victor on his bass and Reggie on a Japanese Squier by Fender Strat.

Robert
May 14th, 2007, 07:35 AM
For bass, it would be Gary Willis and Victor Wooten for me. Both insane musicians.

guitartist
May 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Oh man....what a great (but tough) question. It's hard to narrow it down...my first instinct is to say Steve Howe or Jeff Beck. Someone mentioned Warren Haynes, and he certainly would be a great choice too (I've learned a lot from the Hot Licks video I've got by him). Speaking of the Hot Licks videos, I'd love to have some one-on-one time with Arlen Roth (his instructional video on rhythm and blues is amazing) or Ronnie Earl (LOVE his "Blues with Soul" instructional video, and what an incredibly gifted player).
I was just reading an interview with Andy Summers in the latest issue of Guitar Player, and he actually took some lessons from Lenny Breau!! Can you imagine that? Lenny Breau was such a friggin' genius on the guitar that I think his teaching would go right over my head....VERY advanced stuff.

P.S. I gotta check out John Pettrucci's Dream Theater stuff one of these days...I've never heard any of it, but he certainly has been gettting a lot of high praise in the guitar mags lately.

Big K
May 14th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Warren Haynes, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton or SRV would all be a gas to learn some licks from.....

zeusse
May 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Definately Stanley Jordan there's just so much about his tapping technique I need to know

tot_Ou_tard
May 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
+2 on Vic. He is one cool bass player & a sweet guy t'boot!

tot_Ou_tard
May 14th, 2007, 08:56 PM
If you like his stuff with the Flecktones, try to check out his performance from Bass Day '98. During this performance/clinic, he explains how he started, at the age of two, being taught by his older brother Reggie, then ten. Then, he goes on to bring his brother on stage, and they end up getting into a "thump-off" with Victor on his bass and Reggie on a Japanese Squier by Fender Strat.
Tht's strange a workmate gave me the Bass Day video (he had it for a while & wasn't interested in it), but I haven't watched it yet.

I did see Vic play live with his brother Teach (Reggie) & his other brother (not Futureman, the other one. I forget his name). Teach was AMAZING on that guitar.

gotta go watch Bass Day.

Spudman
May 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Although I got to spend most of a day with him I didn't get any "teaching," just a good ol' dose of humble from him. He humbled me, and he is a very humble man himself...Roine Stolt. For me he is the guy I would love to learn from the most.

SuperSwede
May 15th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I´m with Zeusse on this one, Stanley Jordan ! :R

R_of_G
May 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM
great question!

mine wouldn't be a guitar player, but the master of the indian sarod, ali akbar khan. i am already lobbying my wife and my parents to send me for a few six-wk sessions at the Ali Akbar Institute of Music in three yrs when I turn 40.

if it must be a guitar player, it'd be marc ribot.

since some folks have mentioned bass players, i have already had a TREMENDOUSLY TALENTED bass player as a teacher, my friend Curtis, but for this post, I would choose Billy Cox.