PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Abuse (Youth)

Jimi75
March 29th, 2007, 03:55 AM
It's sad! Yesterday a 16 year old boy died after 4 weeks he lay in KOMA due to the fact that he had more than 45 Tequilas and 4,5% total alcohol in his blood.

Here in Germany we have very lose laws that make it easy for young people to purchase alcohol.

A new trend is called FLAT RATE DRINKING.

I can not understand how such things can happen. I mean we all made our experiences with to much alcohol, parties and girls when we were teens, but what is it that this generation breaks totally loose?

I explain to my kids that drugs are not good, but you never know.

helliott
March 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Just my opinion, but I think behaviour reflects society, and since our society is more extreme, more self-absorbed, and I'd argue more destructive, it follows that the behaviour of people, especially those in a vulnerable and easily-influenced groups such as teens, would reflect that broader societal behaviour. Just one parent's opinion, having dealt with the realities of raising a kid in these times.

Tone2TheBone
March 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Peer pressure and striving to be cooler than others is a big factor in these types of situations. Sounds like the poor kid slammed shot after shot after shot and died as a consequence. Doing shots like that it's easy to do unfortunately. You can also OD on drinking too much water.

DaveO
March 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I like to tell my 13 year old "Too much of a good thing is still too much". There is nothing wrong with enjoying things in this life in moderation. It still is easy to go overboard on anything especially when you're young and don't really know your limits.
I'm still trying to work that line into a song.
Dave

Iago
April 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
You can also OD on drinking too much water.

though water is not addicting or makes u feel dumb to the point of not knowing when to stop.

I can't remember hearing about anybody passing out after alcoholic coma around here. But people being taken to the hospital, specially by summer time because of drinking too much is typical..

I wouldn't say the laws here are loose. What happens is that most people at small bars and such NEVER ask for ID or anything. They just act like there's nothing happening when theres somebody that looks young buying cigs or beer etc.

I worked in a convenience store for months in the US and they were always doing those "stings" thing. they should do that here urgently.

carp3nt3r
April 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
things are troubling these days for sure, i could harp for hours on morality. not that im any kind of saint, but kids should be taught right from wrong and truth or consequences. all too often im seeing people allowing thier kids to run wild with no supervision or guidance.laws are being passed to prevent you from disciplining your children, so you can surely expect the next generation to be ruthless cutthroats if they so choose. personally my children get disciplined as necessary. corporal punishment is preferred over prison visitation on sundays in my neighborhood. common sense, common decency and common courtesy are not impossible to teach your kids but sometimes ya gotta lean on em. :)

I always hope my sons will learn from my mistakes in my misspent youth and be better persons then i was/am.

always try to lead by example, or have a good hiding place picked out for the occasional bender. heheh
carp3nt3r

pie_man_25
April 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
well, BEING a youth in today's society, I'd say It's mostly because people (parents mostly) are always either:

1) instant gratification.
2) that type that does'nt want to beat their children like their parents did.
3) just don't care.

I'm not insulting any parents here, I'm saying that most of my generation's parents: don't want to traumatise their kids by beating them, are part of the "instant gratification" movement that gives their kids whatever they want because they don't want to hear their kids cry, or just don't care what their kids do. Personally, my parents, make the punishment fit the crime, and yes, have beaten me, I don't hold it against them, because I look at the rest of my generation (even my own friends) and see that although my parents tell me when to go to bed, sensor the movies I watch, keep a close eye on my language, etc. It's all for a reason, and I'm telling those parents who believe all that Dr. Phil BULLSHIT, it's OKAY to beat your child when necessary, and not give him or let him buy something EVEN If it makes him/her cry, and it is okay to keep an eye on what your teenage kids are doing. I know it may hurt, or cause you to do more than you planned, and maybe even get you in shit with the law, remember they can't take them away if you're disciplining your child and not beating him senseless (although the punishment should fit the crime).

If you are a parent, please, beat and/or discipline your child TODAY

Ps. I'm 16, and I've never drunk more than a sip of alcoholic beverage (that my parents have offered), never smoked marijuana (and don't plan on it), and my parents care about what I do, coinsidence? I think not.

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Rock on Pie keep it up buddy. The future of our world is depending on good kids like you. Ya got a good head on your shoulders. Tell your parents I said so!

It's a dang shame that some parents really don't pay attention to their kids and what they're doing you're absolutely right.