PDA

View Full Version : Fender hot rod deluxe

Duff
March 29th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Played one of these tonight with an epi sg 400. Nice amp with what I thought to be a nice drive channel, nice reverb, great clean channel, lots of connection possibilities.

Anyone have any opinions on one of these. I'm considering getting a new one.

Spudman
March 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I've been using one for years.

I really like the clean channel but the dirty channels need some tweaking. There are many solutions for this around the web. They benefit from tweaking tubes and bias. Otherwise, I think it's a great amph.

I just stick with the clean channel and use pedals to modify my sounds.

elavd
March 30th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I just stick with the clean channel and use pedals to modify my sounds.

I LOVE mine too, but I never use the drive channels or its Spring reverb.

I use its superb clean channel and let my 14 pedals do all the other work ;):D

Lev
March 30th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I LOVE mine too, but I never use the drive channels or its Spring reverb.

I use its superb clean channel and let my 14 pedals do all the other work ;):D

me too - clean all the way and pedals for drive. Great clean amp!

Duff
April 1st, 2007, 12:35 AM
I currently have an old Marshall Vs30r that is kind of cool and murky. It's in outstanding condition. I also have a Rogue RG120R twin twelve inch reverb. I have a few pedals that I like and have been using a bad monkey into a mxr compressor; a Boss od-3 into the comp; or a digitech grunge into the compressor, then into the Rogue amp's clean channel. Have been getting some great sounds with my Schecter omen six. And I'm fifty seven years old. Never thought I'd like some of the above items but to my ear they sound great.

I like the rich sound of the HRD and can only imagine what pedals would do to it. I had been really liking a vox ac15cc1 but the HRD has more connectability and more tonal control. That vox is a really nice amp, however.

That vox ad50vt has a variable power adjustment on the back panel. Has anyone tried an attenuator with the HRD. I saw a few mentioned and they look like a good idea. I can currently turn the 120 watt twin down to bedroom levels and get some great tones with the guitar and pedals, without waking anyone up. Is late night guitar playing a common passion?

TS808
April 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I had a Hot Rod Deville 212 which I thought had great clean tones and that great Fender reverb. I've seen a lot of people on other forums knock these amps, but I always thought the Hot Rod series was a very good amp. I mentioned this in another thread, but my only complaint about these amps is the volume knobs, and how they jump from 1 to 4.....they become deafening loud and they are hard to control at a moderate or low volume, but you can always replace the volume pot with a linear pot. Voids the warranty but more control of the amp.

TS808
April 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
I like the rich sound of the HRD and can only imagine what pedals would do to it. I had been really liking a vox ac15cc1 but the HRD has more connectability and more tonal control. That vox is a really nice amp, however.

The AC15CC1 is a cool amp (I have one now). Really nice cleans, and it can sparkle or give you a nice warm tone. Takes pedals well, and the master volume is an excellent plus for me.