PDA

View Full Version : '51 pickups to sell anyone?

M29
March 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a gooood deal on the stock pickups from a Squier '51. I want to set my Chinese Squier strat up with the two. I am going to get an uncut pickguard and cut it out to fit the '51 pickups. It is kind of an experiment and I don't really want to spend a whole lot but if someone has a pair that is laying around and wants a few bucks or whatever please let me know. My strat body is agathis and somewhat heavy and may give a pretty good fat sound to the mix.
I am kind of curious just what it will sound like. If it sounds decent I may get some other pickups for it later on but stay with the single and humbucking configuration.

Also have you guys ever seen pickguards already cut to shape but with no holes cut in them for the pickups and controls?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Hogfullofblues
March 31st, 2007, 02:57 PM
Looks like these guys could supply you a pickguard with no pickup cutouts.

http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_strat

Good Luck on the project!

Big K
March 31st, 2007, 04:37 PM
have ordered a pickguard from Warmoth, very good quality....

M29
March 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I was thinking about going with a Warmoth guard and have them route the humbucker in and I can add the single coil at an angle of course going with the '51 theme. Then on the other hand I have been giving some thought to buying the router bit for the chamfer from StewMac and getting a sheet and cut my own. This way I will be able to do more guards down the road on my own.
I am not sure how well the mounting holes would mount up on a Warmoth guard. My strat is Chinese and probably not close to what Warmoth's is but then again I can always put new holes in the body, it is not like I am going to ruin a prize possession or anything.

What do you guys think of a mint guard on this instead of white? I have mint pickup covers and knobs but a mint guard might be too much.
http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/se100.jpg

You know what?? I was just thinking I might be able to put my (extra) white '51 guard on this body. I will have to give that a try, I don't know how close the shape of the '51 is to a strat body but it might work. Now I have to hurry up and use up my new strings so I can take them off and try the '51 guard:D

Thanks guys for the info, help and encouragement.

M29

oldguy
March 31st, 2007, 06:03 PM
"YOU CAN DO IT, M29!!!!"

:D :R :DR

M29
April 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Hello,

Well the '51 guard did not even come close I forgot about the controls being different.

At any rate I found a Strat guard with one humbucking cutout in the bridge position at: http://wdmusic.com/fender_strat_reg_z_pickguards_27529_prd1.htm if any one is interested, they have a very good assortment of odd guards.
This guard is for an American Strat and mine is Chinese so I called and asked if they could not drill the mounting holes. They said they could not eliminate the mounting holes but they could eliminate the control hole which only shows one. That was great as I will only have two controls anyway and I want them a bit lower in the guard. So it looks like I will not have to make a guard after all, I am happy now:D

M29