PDA

View Full Version : Vox AD30VT Tube Change - How in the???

Big K
March 30th, 2007, 06:39 PM
any advice on the sequence of getting to the tube on an AD30VT.. received a high gain JJ suggested by Bob @ Eurotubes and doesn't look like taking off the back does much good getting to that tube?

ps: my Epi Valve Jr really like the JJ graded 107 preamp and graded 34 power tube suggested by Bob.. little less gain and a nice sweet tone...

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Yes, Big K. I've done it many times.

Remove the 4 screws on either side of the cab (near the top) that secure the metal gizmo that holds all the electronics (including the tube).

Slide the gizmo out.

Get a piece of scotch tape and reach back and wrap the tape around the top of the tube. This helps with the grip.

Wiggle & pull wiggle & pull until the tube comes out. It's a complete pain because there isn't much room to operate.

Relax & keep at it, it'll come out.

The scotch tape helps to put the new tube back in as well.

Good luck!

Big K
March 31st, 2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks tOta: that was my initial assumption that the guts had to be removed but even then it didn't look like it would be an easy change, thanks for the tip! Not the most user friendly design.

Did the tube change make much of a difference?

What tube did you use for replacement?

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks tOta: that was my initial assumption that the guts had to be removed but even then it didn't look like it would be an easy change, thanks for the tip! Not the most user friendly design.

Did the tube change make much of a difference?

What tube did you use for replacement?

Tube replacement on those things are a pain! The Tonelabs are a breeze.

I've tried various tubes just for sh-giggles.

In there now is a Groove Tube GT5751M a lower gain variant of the Mullard reissue.

Is there much of a difference? I dunno, probably not. I already had the tubes, so why not?

I do think that the higher gain vs lower gain as made a difference as to when you get clipping from the Valvereactor tube when the Valvereactor preamp is pushed with a pedal.

I could be wrong though, I haven't been systematic about this.

One other thing: I tend to hang out on the left-hand side of the dial. you sound like you're trying to get higher gain out of the amp.

Big K
March 31st, 2007, 07:53 AM
One other thing: I tend to hang out on the left-hand side of the dial. you sound like you're trying to get higher gain out of the amp.

not really, the harder metal settings have more than enough gain, I am following the recommendation of Eurotubes that a higher gain tube would give the VOX some tone/color when cranked. They have shipped a number of these to other users and have had great feedback from them. To my tired ears the tube doesn't do a whole lot in its stock configuration, at least I'm not hearing that it does. I am looking for a little grittier/edgier sound for the Blackface, AC's, Bassman & Plexi models. I am mainly into classic to modern rock, blues, some country types of music, I'm not chasing the Zack Wylde/Dimebag massive distortion crazy feedback over the top tone. Since receiving my Little Epi Valve Jr box I'm am just looking for a little more tone out of the Versatile Vox..

and I can't seem to leave stuff alone!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM
Let me know how it goes. Which JJ did Bob recommend?

I tried a JJ ECC83S once. I can't remember what I thought.

I've heard many claim that the changing the tube does nothing.

Doesn't hurt to try. I can't leave things alone either (although I'm nowhere near Vood's level: Mod level 11)

Big K
March 31st, 2007, 09:43 AM
Which JJ did Bob recommend?
His recomendation was an ECC83S graded 113...

I can't leave things alone either (although I'm nowhere near Vood's level: Mod level 11)
Jeez ain't that the truth, If I only had half of his amp, electronic circuitry & PC knowledge I would truely be dangerous.....I thought wiring up new pots, pickups, switches & coil taps for myself and buddies I was a genius, wow I'm barely in the novice class...