PDA

View Full Version : Epi Valve Jr??

TS808
March 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've seen alot of threads on here and other sites about the Valve Jr. head and also saw they came out with a matching 1 x 12 cabinet.

I had a question though (actually a few)...Is there just a volume control on that? If so, how do you shape the tones you want...do you use an EQ pedal or what do you do?

oldguy
March 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, you can use an EQ pedal to shape your tone, the VJ actually takes to pedals quite well. It has only a volume control, no tone, no nothing else.
That can be changed if you like to mod amps, however. There are several "kits" on E-Bay that allow you to add tone controls, gain controls, etc., although they are a bit expensive IMHO. Most of them can be done for a few dollars if you research the amp's circuit on the net, and can use a soldering iron. Of course, it voids the warranty, and there are HIGH voltages in a tube amp that can KILL YOU if you don't know what you're doing, so I would not recommend it w/o the proper training or experience. But there are plenty of things that will improve it's sound.
You can replace the stock tubes (which I highly recommend), to make the amp smoother and more toneful, and from there the sky's the limit, depending on how much you want to spend, and whether or not you're into modding your own gear. Or you could find a good amp tech and have it done for you.
I've replaced the tubes on mine w/ JJ Teslas from Eurotubes, replaced the stock output transformer with a Hammond 125DSE, and changed a few resistors and lifted the leg of the C3 capacitor on the printed circuit board.
All of this has made the amp sound much better. I only did 1 mod at a time, in case I didn't like something, I could go back and undo w/o trying to chase down what did which to whatever that I didn't care for. :confused:
The stock VJ sounds pretty good, but if you're willing to spend another $50 or so after the $99 initial investment, you'd be surprised what it will do.

LagrangeCalvert
March 30th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I use two of them as my gigging rig. Perfect. their modded. I have the BITMO tone and gain mods on the lead amp, and the rhythm amp has a lower gain preamp tube (12at7) so its nice a gritty with not much breakup at full volume.

So yeah, I like the fact you can match it up with any cabs, not to meniton without any tone pots you dont have any "influence" over the tone cause the more electronics you have in the circut path, the less you get the real tone out of your guitar (IMO) so somtimes the simplicity is better.

There are so many good little things these amps can do.

TS808
March 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM
I use two of them as my gigging rig. Perfect. their modded. I have the BITMO tone and gain mods on the lead amp, and the rhythm amp has a lower gain preamp tube (12at7) so its nice a gritty with not much breakup at full volume.

So yeah, I like the fact you can match it up with any cabs, not to meniton without any tone pots you dont have any "influence" over the tone cause the more electronics you have in the circut path, the less you get the real tone out of your guitar (IMO) so somtimes the simplicity is better.

There are so many good little things these amps can do.

I saw the BITMO mod on ebay and it looked pretty simple, but I agree with a previous post; I don't know much about electronics so I wouldn't want to mess with it. I was curious however, what others have done to shape their tone.

Right now my amps are a Valvetronix AD60VTH with the 212 cab, and a Vox AC15. The Vox is a great amp. The AC15 is good too, but I don't care much for the reverb. Both are definite keepers.

I like the simplicity of the Vox and how well it takes pedals. I'm also eyeing the new crate V-series 18-watt amp, but it hasn't hit the stores yet..very simple set up: one channel, one volume, one master, and a three-band EQ.

LagrangeCalvert
March 31st, 2007, 08:37 PM
there are other people on some other sites that have put in brite dark switches and gain stage switches. up to six of each. using resistors in certain parts of the pots with bypass switches so they can also play the amp stock. This is really useful if you record with the amp. Just google Valve Jr mods. other than soldering things, the only real thing you can do is pedal the crap out of it, and switch preamp tubes. Any of the the 12AX7's brothers will work. My next plan is to get some really high class power output tansformers for the two I have. The lead head of mine sounds like a plexi. Real open and chimy with super tight almost liquid like overdrive/saturation and the super eights I push (now that they are broke in) sound great.

Im finally glad to see crate step it up and go into the tube market seriously now.

Spudman
March 31st, 2007, 08:51 PM
I'm finally glad to see crate step it up and go into the tube market seriously now.

They already did this years ago with the Vintage Club series. It was/is an award winning amph. I have the VC50212 and love it. Versatile. The drive channel sounds real good and the clean is Bassman like.

Their Blue Voodoo series is another good tube amph.

LagrangeCalvert
March 31st, 2007, 09:17 PM
my bad...now I feel like a chump. I guess even an old dog can learn somthing new. I have always just steered clear of these amps so I didn't even know they were doing all this. I guess with the tone craze of the past few years hitting again its like EVERYONES eyes are reopened to the world of awesome amps again.