PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find A New Amp

t_ross33
April 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Not looking to buy just yet (Mrs. T might have a conniption :D ), but I'm starting to research. As my music career (and by "career", I mean "hobby") progresses, I'm finally starting to gather together some decent gear. My guitar stable if full (for now...although that new Epi of Spud's catches my eye...). Now on to upgrading my amp.

My Yammy is a good ol' girl (early 70's vintage), and at 100W 2x12 she packs a punch, but she's short on features and is pretty heavy to lug around. My Washburn 30W acoustic amp works really good for smaller gigs and for practices and handles my RP-80 modelling FX very well and has a line out to patch into the PA. Still wanting something for mid to larger gigs that balances performance with portability. So...

Tube or "warm" Solid State
50 to 100W
1x12
Effects Loop
Speaker Cab Output
Line Out
Gig-ability/Road-worthy
Non-modelling (I have that in my RP-80 already)
Will handle modelling FX - looking to upgrade to a POD XT Live or similar in the future
Nice clean channel (Fender-ish)
Good distortion channel that can be pushed with a pedal, looking for a hard rock sound, but not really a "metal" tone
Cheap :DPeavey's Bandit 112 looks promising. My local music store has a Marshall MG50 that I'm going to test drive. As you may know, we are covering everything from Dwight Yoakam to AC/DC. Any recommendations?

After doing a bit of online research, my plan is to run my RP-80 through the effects loop and use an overdrive/distortion pedal in front of the guitar input. There's not much for me to try out locally, and I want to have some ideas before heading into "the city".

Thanks.

Trev

Robert
April 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hey, that is a perfect description of my Hellhound! You can find them on eBay now and then. The Kingsnake is the amp that came after the Hellhound, and is probably even better.

The Fender Hot Rod DeVille would be another option. It's kinda heavy to haul around though. I don't know if it comes in other sizes than 2x12.

I don't know how well they would sound with a POD Live XT. If you have a good tube amp and some decent pedals, you shouldn't need a POD Live XT anyway. If you want that, you should get an Atomic amp or similar, that are designed for modeling units.

duhvoodooman
April 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
The Peavey Classic 50 might be a good one to look at, too. It's 2x12 or 4x10, but worth looking into. Used ones in good condition seem to go mostly in the $400 - $500 range on eBay.

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
The Peavey Classic 50 might be a good one to look at, too. It's 2x12 or 4x10, but worth looking into. Used ones in good condition seem to go mostly in the $400 - $500 range on eBay.

For my use, the Peavey C-30 1x12 is great, and plenty loud. The guitarist I bought my strat from gigs with his Classic 50, and chose it to keep over a 100 watt 1x12 Marshall. He plays a lot of classic rock, bluesy rock and Allman bros related stuff. So I would second the C-50 vote and maybe check it against the Valveking based on what others have said. Happy Shopping!!

Sblack
April 2nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
The following Crate combo (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GLX65-65Watt-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Effects?sku=487687)on clearance from Musician's Friend would be a steal. It has a loop and awesome clean channel. There are even some passable effects that are assignable to the channels. If you are getting your OD/Distortion from a pedal, this amp would do for $199.00 (normally retails @349.00). You can even get the matching Celestion G12-100 loaded $99.00 extension cabinet (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT112SL-1x12-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=603013). These are the last Crates that were made in the USA before production shipped to China.

TS808
April 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
All the amps mentioned are good choices. I've owned the Classic 30 and the Hot Rod Deville 212 in the past. My only gripe about the HR Deville is the volume knobs Fender puts on some of their amps...they JUMP in volume between 1 and 4 and then volume increases at a decreasing rate. Great sound though.

Some other thoughts: Roland Blues Cube...GREAT amps and the closest you'll get to a warm tube sound from a solid-state. These were discontinued, but pop up on ebay once in a while...either a 1x12 or 3x10, although the 310 is HEAVY. This isn't the Roland Cube modeler...this is a solid state that has a bassman look to it. Tan with brown grill cloth. A very under-rated amp...why it never sold is beyond me.

Crate Palomino is also one I'd recommend. 30 watts, Class A, and blistering loud. Nice for blues and classic/southern rock. Great clean channel.

t_ross33
April 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
I like that Roland! Reviews are pretty good and it looks cool too. I'll hunt around and see what I can scare up. Of course I'll have to give a few others a try too - LOL! Gives me an excuse to hang out in music stores.

Spudman
April 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
The following Crate combo (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GLX65-65Watt-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Effects?sku=487687)on clearance from Musician's Friend would be a steal. It has a loop and awesome clean channel. There are even some passable effects that are assignable to the channels. If you are getting your OD/Distortion from a pedal, this amp would do for $199.00 (normally retails @349.00). You can even get the matching Celestion G12-100 loaded $99.00 extension cabinet (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT112SL-1x12-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=603013). These are the last Crates that were made in the USA before production shipped to China.

I tried one of these and thought it was a great sounding versatile amph. Killer price.

I'd look for a 50 or 60 watt Crate Vintage Club used. The clean channel sounds very Fenderish and the dirty channel is very Marshally. 1x12 50 or 60 watt comes in two versions. Older is blond or black tolex and the newer is 3 channel in black tolex.

t_ross33
April 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Any Valve Jr. fans out there try the Epi Triggerman 60W combo? Seems to have all the features I'm looking for (fx loop; line out - in this case DI, even better; ext cab out etc.).

Price is pretty good. Cool retro looks once you get used to them. "warm" aka "tube(ish)" tone from a ss amp. Same family as the Jr.

Thoughts?

Stratcrazy
April 3rd, 2007, 04:44 AM
Lots of you guys have the Vox Ad50vt amps out there. Why is noone recomending them?? I have been thinking about buying one of those myself when I saw so many guys playing them on this site. Do they have a lame clean tone or something??

Lev
April 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
Lots of you guys have the Vox Ad50vt amps out there. Why is noone recomending them?? I have been thinking about buying one of those myself when I saw so many guys playing them on this site. Do they have a lame clean tone or something??

They are a fine amp but I'm not sure they would meet Trev's requirements - effects loop, non-modelling, will handle modelling effects (in my experience with the Vox AD**vt's they don't sound great with modelling effects - an FX loop might be useful).

I'd go for the Hot Rod Deluxe - loud & clean and sounds great with effects, fits in your car and there's a wealth of info online about mods, tubes, biasing etc.

Jimi75
April 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Mesa Boogie F-30 or either F-50.

I know everybody thinks Metal when hearing Mesa Boogie, but listen to the crisp clean and the classic creamy rock sound this amp produces. Due to the fact that you have sound modes for the channels you can determine if the amp should go "crazy" or stay classic.

A those models are running out of production you might get them at a good price.

sunvalleylaw
April 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM

I know everybody thinks Metal when hearing Mesa Boogie, but listen to the crisp clean and the classic creamy rock sound this amp produces. Due to the fact that you have sound modes for the channels you can determine if the amp should go "crazy" or stay classic.

A those models are running out of production you might get them at a good price.

Bonnie Raitt, who is certainly not metal, was playing some nice strat slide tones through one when she came and played with Keb Mo here last summer.

t_ross33
April 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM

They are great little amps. I had a AD30VT, but it was a bit small for my needs. I also like (need) to have quick access to a whole bunch of presets. Enter the RP-80. Unfortunately, I didn't like how the RP-80 models sounded through the Vox's clean channel (which is also modelled - too much digitizing going on).

As we are getting bigger and better gigs (and as we improve and find our sound) my list of requirements is also growing (aka GAS) :D

t_ross33
April 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM

I love Mesa, but these are a bit on the expensive side for me right now. Even used they are going for close to $1000. My budget right now is $0. If I can hold off on gear purchases for awhile, I might be able to come up with $500 or so for a new or new-to-me amp. I'll have to settle for the "dual rectifier" amp model on my RP-80 for now ;)

t_ross33
May 2nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Scored a cherry Peavey Bandit 112 on the 'Bay for under 2 bones with shipping!! It arrived today and was waiting for me when I got home from work :DR

I've dialed in some decent enough tones with both my Tele and my HB-30. And I like the flexibility running my RP-80 thru the effects loop offers. I have some tweaking to do, and some new patches to program, but heck, that's half the fun!

The clean is just that. Nothing fancy and definately solid state. The lead channel is surprisingly tight sounding. Lots of oomph - should be gig-worthy.

It ain't booteek, but it'll get the job done. Plus it's built like a tank (of course, it's Peavey!).

Here's a shot of my new rig (and of my new Squier VM SH Tele).

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/t_ross33/PIC_0182.jpg

sunvalleylaw
May 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Congrats Trev! Shoot us a clip if you get time. Also, I like the looks of that tele! (and the HB!)

t_ross33
May 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks SVL. Yep, them's my babies! With these two beauties I can cover just about anything... now if I could only play :p And now I have an amp to anchor it all.

I'm planning to use the RP primarily for effects, not so much for modelling. I do like the extra sparkle the Fender blackface model adds to the twangin' country licks, but the Bandit's lead channel has a nice tight distortion that responds well to pick dynamics and p'up volume, so I think that will be my primary distortion tone. I can always kick it up a notch with the OD pedal as well. Maybe just use the RP for some delay.

I'm off to the batcave to tweak and program patches. Wish me luck!

Trev

Robert
May 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Good luck in that bat cave!

Have you played any Traynor amps, Trev? They are pretty nice.