PDA

View Full Version : A guitarist that gets far too little recognition

Big_Rob
April 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Ive seen the Steve Morse Band (never with the Dregs) twice. The first time in a theater (less than 1000 people) setting, and the second time in a real small (less than 50 people) bar setting.

And both times I was amazed by his total guitar skill!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1157841187640080358&q=steve+morse&hl=en

tremoloman
April 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ive seen the Steve Morse Band (never with the Dregs) twice. The first time in a theater (less than 1000 people) setting, and the second time in a real small (less than 50 people) bar setting.

And both times I was amazed by his total guitar skill!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1157841187640080358&q=steve+morse&hl=en

OMG I am a HUGE Steve Morse fan! 'Southern Steel' and 'Coast To Coast' are my favorite solo albums. I really love the Dregs stuff also. 'Cruise Control' kicks ***! :)

Spudman
April 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I have every Dixie Dregs album and all but one of his solo albums. I think he's doing pretty well with that other band...oh what's their name...Deep something or something.:) He's also on the last Ian Gillan and Jordan Rudess albums just to name a couple.

duhvoodooman
April 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I love Morse, too. Was lucky enough to see him with the Dregs at a small club here in Albany NY back in '83, just about the time that Industry Standard came out. Mark O'Connor was the fiddle player (amazing!). I'll never forget the performance of Vitamin Q that evening; I was sitting right in front of a plate glass window and that last low organ note made it vibrate so violently that everybody near it (me included) jumped out of their seats! It held, though. Great show and good timing, because they split up just a few months later.

tremoloman
April 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I love Steve's melodic side as well as his semi-shred riffing he does in his solos. His tone is so unique - it sounds like a cross between a harmonizer and a violin - AWESOME! :)

abraxas
April 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Listening to Steve was always a humbling experience for me... :o

He is perhaps amongst the most prominent guitarists of his generation... but it's not really true he doesn't get enough recognition; the readers of Guitar Player magazine vote him best overall guitarist for, what? Seven years in a row?