PDA

View Full Version : New member, glad that I found this site!

jpfeifer
January 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Jim. I found this site after discovering Robert's awesome playing on his online demo of the Vox AD50 amp.

I have been playing guitar for many years now and I still enjoy learning new things from other players. I play with a few different bands in the city that I live in and I also like to dabble in home recording and writing tunes.

My favorite types of music are Jazz, Blues, ... or just about anything else that is done well. My favorite musicians are the Beatles, Pat Metheny, George Benson, Eric Johnson, BB King, Roben Ford, ...

I own the following guitars:
Hamer Newport
Fender Eric Clapton Strat
Ibanez Artcore Jazz box
Martin J40-M
Taylor 514CE

I own the following amps
Vox AD120VTX
Roland Cube 60

I also have been teaching guitar on the weekends for about 2 years now and have been enjoying that quite a bit.

I'm looking forward to learning things with all of you and sharing any info that might help other players.

Thanks, -- Jim

Spudman
January 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the forum Jim. Glad you found us.

If you've been teaching for a while maybe you could start a thread highlighting common mistakes or trouble spots for new guitar players? Or something like that if you feel comfortable doing so. I'll bet we can all still learn something.

warren0728
January 9th, 2006, 08:33 PM
welcome Jim....this is a great forum

glad you found us....better bookmark this page because it is a keeper!

ww

Nelskie
January 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Jim - Glad to have you aboard! As both a teacher and gigging player, I am positive that you'll have much to share with our fellow forum members. I also noticed that you'd mentioned Robben Ford as one of your favorite players - he's one of mine too! He has such fantastic tone and technique. Great singer, too!!

Robert
January 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Welcome Jim, glad you could join in! This is nice hangout, you'll like it here.
I'm listening to "Pfat Cat Shuffle" right now from Jim's soundclick page - man, it's awesome! I'd love to jam with you! Check it out at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=301718
Jim, you rock.

SuperSwede
January 10th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Welcome Jim,

Metheny and Benson are two of my favourite players as well! But perhaps some of Bensons more disco related recordings was not that great.

Katastrophe
January 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Welcome aboard, Jim!

jpfeifer
January 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Robert,

Thanks for listening to my tunes, I appreciate the kind words.

I was very impressed with your playing from the samples on your web site. It would be great to jam with you too.

-- Jim

Nelskie
January 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hey Jim - that IS a great tune! Very jazzy and fun! Nice chops there, too, my friend. I'm just getting into home-recording myself, so I'd be very interested in hearing about your recording set-up as well as your techniques. When you have a chance, post something under the "Home Recording & Clips" section of the our forum.

Robert - I appreciate you sending that link. I was looking for a place where I could post my songs (once they're done) for others to listen to, and Soundclicks looks like a great place. I've already registered!! I'll probably post them at Acid Planet as well (sister site to Sony's Acid Music Studio homepage).

All of this home-recording discussion is getting me FIRED UP!!!

Tone2TheBone
January 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Welcome welcome welcome. :)

jpfeifer
January 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for listening to my posted songs Nelskie, I appreciate it.

Sure, I'd be glad to share any information about home recording. I've learned most of what I know through trial and error. I started out using an old reel-to-reel 4 track deck a long time ago in the days before PC-based recording. The technology is so good these days that you can get great results without having to invest too much cash. I also like the flexibility of having the recording done on a PC because you can do all of the editing in software where it can be "un-done" if something doesn't sound right. You also have the added benefit of being able to convert your final mix into MP3, WMA, or other standard formats that can be played over the internet.

Soundclick.com is a great site for posting your tunes and turning them loose to the whole world. It's a free site and they give you some tools for measuring how many people listened to your tracks, etc.

Thanks, -- Jim

Katastrophe
January 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Jim -

Just got through listening to your tunes... They were awesome! Man, I wish I could be that smooth in transitioning from phrase to phrase... It's players like you that keep me wanting to practice and improve. Thanks for posting the work!

Tone2TheBone
January 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Jim,

I just now listened to your stuff. You did an awesome job. Really sounds great. I too love the Pfat Cat Shuffle. Thumbs up maestro.

MagicBaller21
January 10th, 2006, 07:01 PM
oh man jim... im gonna have to jump on the "pfat cat shuffle" bus. at first i though i knew you, but i guess not... unless you happen to live in SoCal... great work, it inspires me to play, after hearing you. i seem to be at a plateu and im trying to find new songs to play, and i think ill look into some of the guys you mentioned!

Tim
January 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hi Jim,

Welcome to our growing family. Hopefully you can share your teaching experience with the rest of us. I am a newbie to the electric guitar, so right now I am in the asking mode. The good people here have been very patient and helpful in answering my questions. I personally have improved in both knowledge and playing skills in the three months of being a member of this forum, than I have in the last year and half else where. Again, welcome.

jpfeifer
January 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it.

-- Jim

SuperSwede
January 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM
That pfat cat shuffle was really good, nice sound and great playing !

tremoloman
January 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Welcome aboard Jim! You will find nothing but friendly and classy people here. :)

Justaguyin_nc
January 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Welcome aboard Jim! Nice tunes man... I really like sitting back and listening to Jazzy instrumentals... Would love to learn better Phrasing as my speed picks up.. more teachers here huh...hmm...:)