PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha SCF04

ShortBuSX
April 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
A freind of mine is in the process of moving and shes gettin rid of alot of stuff...I inquired about this Yamaha accoustic that Id seen sittin around her place in the past and she immediately offered it(with stand) to me for helping her. Id played this guitar in the past and really liked it, but it really needed some fretboard dressing and new strings desperately and some cleaning up. It took several coats of oil on the rosewood before she looked new and the body was kinda dusty...looks great now. I strung it up with Elixer 11's and immeditaely began to doubt my string choice, the neck bowed and as I was eyeing it up I spotted a truss rod adjustment inside the sound hole at the base of the neck...but Im gonna hold off on adjusting it myself, Im too chicken to do it myself and have another co-worker, who was a luthier before coming to work for our company, that I'll have look at it this afternoon once he gets here.(my point being I was surprised to find the truss rod asjustment)
Other than the action being high at the moment, this thing plays nicely, feels and sounds good...so you can imagine my surprise when I got to work today to research this guitar, only to find out it was dirt cheap!!! Ive seen em for less than $100!!! Ive even read claims that these can be found at Sams Club!!! Im just floored...I cant believe it, I was thinking more like $300-400...I never would have guessed.

sunvalleylaw
April 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Maybe that is the same or similar Yamaha I have seen at Costco. It is amazing what some of the inexpensive guitars are like these days.
A freind of mine is in the process of moving and shes gettin rid of alot of stuff...I inquired about this Yamaha accoustic that Id seen sittin around her place in the past and she immediately offered it(with stand) to me for helping her. Id played this guitar in the past and really liked it, but it really needed some fretboard dressing and new strings desperately and some cleaning up. It took several coats of oil on the rosewood before she looked new and the body was kinda dusty...looks great now. I strung it up with Elixer 11's and immeditaely began to doubt my string choice, the neck bowed and as I was eyeing it up I spotted a truss rod adjustment inside the sound hole at the base of the neck...but Im gonna hold off on adjusting it myself, Im too chicken to do it myself and have another co-worker, who was a luthier before coming to work for our company, that I'll have look at it this afternoon once he gets here.(my point being I was surprised to find the truss rod asjustment)
Other than the action being high at the moment, this thing plays nicely, feels and sounds good...so you can imagine my surprise when I got to work today to research this guitar, only to find out it was dirt cheap!!! Ive seen em for less than $100!!! Ive even read claims that these can be found at Sams Club!!! Im just floored...I cant believe it, I was thinking more like $300-400...I never would have guessed.

ShortBuSX
April 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I had my buddy adjust the rod, it lowered the action some...but Im pretty convenced that Im gonna put 10s on it next time, especially after I had down tuned half a step...I think the 11s are too tense.