PDA

View Full Version : Greg Koch - Telecaster Madness

jpfeifer
April 3rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm continually amazed at some of the video performances that are found on Guitar Player TV. If you like Led Zepplin and hot chicken-pickin-Telecaster playing you got to check out the following video. Go to :
http://www.guitarplayertv.com/
Then select "Concert Hall" and then select "Greg Koch".

This guy is a clinician for Fender Guitars and he is really quite amazing. He's a mixture of standup comic and guitar virtuoso. He does a Led Zepplin tribute with a B-bender equiped Tele, if you can believe that. You have to see this. It's really cool.

Enjoy, -- Jim

Spudman
April 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Here is another tip for you all too: If you go to Greg's web site you can download one or two songs from each album. This will give you enough material to have your own Greg Koch sampler album.:)

marnold
April 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
He's a goof, but that was very cool. Very subtle but effective use of the b-bender too. A lot of times I hear that used, it's as if the guitarist is screaming I'VE GOT A B-BENDER! as if he were a headbanger who had just discovered a guy named Floyd Rose.

sunvalleylaw
April 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for posting this. I always forget about GP online. I enjoy Koch's SRV DVD I won from a radio quiz thing for the local guitar store. The technique is mostly beyond me at this point, but really well done and played. His goofy sense of humor reminds me of goofy friends I hung with in law school. Spud, great tip for getting a sampler. :)

duhvoodooman
April 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I first saw Koch ("rhymes with chalk") on that same SRV instructional DVD series, and then bought a couple of his CD's because I was impressed by his ability. The guy's a real Strat and Tele tone-monger. I'll have to check out this clip!

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM
LMAO....he also has the uncle Ted thigh wiggle going on too with the Strangleholding. hahaha

Slammin' Tele player. Great stuff!

Hogfullofblues
April 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Quite the showman, funny but a great player, and man, that dude has some loooong fingers. Thanks Spud, think I'll go make me a sampler.

Just exactly what is a b bender anyway?

jpfeifer
April 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I've never owned a guitar with a B-bender, but from what I've seen it's a special mechanism that's built into the back of your guitar body that connects the B-string to your strap button on the top of the guitar. When you pull down on your guitar strap (by dropping the neck while you're playing) it raises your B-string by a whole step. A lot of country players have these built into their Tele's as a special mod to mimic pedal-steel effects. I've only seen this built into Telecasters and it is a pretty big mod with a lot of routing into the back of the Tele.

-- Jim

Spudman
April 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Here is a little insight into the man himself. Great sense of humor and cool technique. Sorry, it ain't no Tele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NO9raLftYQ

And...the B Bender.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQIT4SJHpY