PDA

View Full Version : Anyone swapped a Squier Tele pickguard?

tremoloman
January 9th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I want to install a black pickguard on my new black & chrome Tele. Do any of you know if a standard model comes close to fitting?

I realize Squier pickguards never line up exactly, but I've gotten MIM Strat pickguards to fit Squiers in the past without much difficulty.

peskypesky
August 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I just put a black pickguard on my Affinity Tele.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z114/pesky123/Affinity%20Telecaster/?action=view&current=SANY1101b.jpg

I got it from GuitarPartsResource (top right on the page)

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickguard_aftermarkettelestd.htm

I had to drill several new holes for the screws, but that took all of 30 seconds and then it was on. And I love how it looks now.

ibanezjunkie
August 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
i think you can get undrilled pickguards, so you drill the holes yourself to fit the holes in your guitar's body, so you dont have any ugly unneccessary holes.

Duff49
August 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Great idea. My Squire Standard is Walnut stain with a black pickguard. I don't care for the white pickguards on many colors, but they look good on white guitars like my Deluxe Squire.

I also like black pearl or shell pickguards. I put one on a Squire black strat and it looks really good.

My G and L ASAT classic semi hollow tele has a white pearl pickguard that looks really nice on the antique burst. Great tele by the way.

Good luck with the pickguard. I have a black Peavey Triple Single with a black pickguard and black pup covers and knobs and it looks super great and sounds great too.

I appreciate these guitars so much more after having my Fender Hwy one and new Gibson SG stolen that I can't believe it. Some of these guitars I mentioned didn't cost a lot and are super great guitars. I guess I learned my lesson on guitar buying: go by feel, sound, and playability; not preconceived ideas you bring into the music store or brand name type ideas. Every guitar I have played has sounded different even many of the same exact models thru the same amps with identical settings. I use my ear a lot but playability is really an important factor and might have a lot to do with the individual configuration of each of our hands, making different guitars much more playable to different individuals. I guess that is one of those little things that pretty much goes without saying.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

peskypesky
September 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Some of these guitars I mentioned didn't cost a lot and are super great guitars. I guess I learned my lesson on guitar buying: go by feel, sound, and playability; not preconceived ideas you bring into the music store or brand name type ideas. Every guitar I have played has sounded different even many of the same exact models thru the same amps with identical settings. I use my ear a lot but playability is really an important factor and might have a lot to do with the individual configuration of each of our hands, making different guitars much more playable to different individuals.

you are so right. :AOK:

i have learned this lesson several times, yet i just bought a guitar off ebay that i've never set my hands on. i hope i didn't make a mistake...because it is so true that the best way to decide whether a guitar is good for you is to play it. how does it feel and how does it sound? and feel is even more important to assess, because you can always upgrade pickups.

i bought a cheapy $99 Squier Bullet Strat for my stepson last Xmas that plays and sounds fantastic. :rockon:

then i got a bullet a couple of weeks ago that just didn't play well no matter what i did to it. :confused: the neck just seemed "off". i had ordered it on-line, which means i didn't play it before i bought it.

the lesson? if you can, get your hands on a guitar before you buy it. if this CV doesn't play well when i receive it, i probably (hopefully) will not buy a guitar on-line again.

peskypesky
September 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
then i got a bullet a couple of weeks ago that just didn't play well no matter what i did to it. :confused: the neck just seemed "off". i had ordered it on-line, which means i didn't play it before i bought it.

the lesson? if you can, get your hands on a guitar before you buy it. if this CV doesn't play well when i receive it, i probably (hopefully) will not buy a guitar on-line again.

well...i finally got the new Bullet set-up right. had to put a new nut in it and then adjust truss and saddles. now it's playing fantastic.

i received the CV50s Strat and am a little underwhelmed. maybe it's the maple neck that is throwing me off, but i haven't found that i'm loving the guitar. :(

gtr_5155
September 20th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I want to install a black pickguard on my new black & chrome Tele. Do any of you know if a standard model comes close to fitting?

I realize Squier pickguards never line up exactly, but I've gotten MIM Strat pickguards to fit Squiers in the past without much difficulty.

MIM guards changed to U.S. Specs around 2001,I'm told.Suiers are made in many different Asian factories.I had www.pickguards.com make my blackguard Bakelite.Fits perfectly without drilling or routing.

Martinguy
September 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm just the opposite.

My tele came with a black pick guard, but I wanted one the same color as the Tele...IVORY.

I found an Ivory colored one at a guitar shop near here.

I took it home and the holes fit perfectly.

msteeln
September 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I've heard that the Squire CV Strats have a different hole placement pickguard.
Why the heck would they do that?

Duff
October 25th, 2009, 12:32 AM
My new Fender aged white pearl pickguard fit straight onto my Squire Standard Telecaster, just had to drill some new holes here and there.

Looks great.

I'll post pictures.

Duffy
South Williamsport, Pa.

Duff
October 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have two CV 50's and love them. My recent Lake Placid Blue one, "Blue", has Fender Custom Shop Texas Special single coils that I had put in it and it is awesome. I'm going to play it now. It is really incredible and my stock one is going to stay stock for now and is also incredible.

What are you using for an amp?

Duffy
S. Williamsport, Pa.