PDA

View Full Version : The Dimarzio YJM

Big_Rob
April 4th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Im strongly considering putting a YJM DP217 in the neck position on my strat

Anyone have any opinion on the pickup?

Does it play well with the stock Mexi pickups that are in the mid and bridge positions?

Anyone know any sound files out there for this p-up?

Cheers
Rob

Sblack
April 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Listen to anything recorded by Yngwie Malmsteen post 1998. Most of his soloing is done on the YJM neck pickup. His tone is mainly vintage Marshall Plexi 100 watt heads into Celestion greenback cabs. He runs a vintage overdrive into the heads and applies tons of delay. But the tone of those pickups is articulate, punchy, and raw. Also, you can listen to Joe Stump; he uses the YJM neck pickup and has identical Yngwie tone (and playing). It sounds like an agressive pickup, though.

marnold
April 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
IIRC, that is a VERY hot pickup. I doubt it would play nice with the other stock pickups.

ShortBuSX
April 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM
IIRC, that is a VERY hot pickup. I doubt it would play nice with the other stock pickups.

I dont understand???
My HSS humbucker plays just fine with my single coils...and thats hot in compairison to the single coils. So I just dont understand.

marnold
April 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I dont understand???
My HSS humbucker plays just fine with my single coils...and thats hot in compairison to the single coils. So I just dont understand.
The YJM has a 23.5K impedance, probably four times the output of the standard Mexicaster single coils. I would be willing to bet that's not the case with your HSS. The output would blow the other pickups away. I can't imagine that the middle-neck setting would be useful. Plus, he's going to use it in the neck where there are greater string vibrations for the pickup to "see" anyway. Yngwie has been using a DiMarzio HS-3 at the bridge which has a 23.75K impedance and two YJMs in the middle and neck positions.

Oh and Big Rob, there is a clip of the YJM on Dimarzio's site.

marnold
April 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Having glanced at the reviews on H-C, they seem to indicate that the output is actually lower than a stock pickup. Obviously there's something I'm not understanding. I've always heard that the higher the impedance, the greater the output. The Dimarzio site lists this pickup's output as "93," although they don't define what they are measuring. Can you bail me out here, DVM, and explain how this is possible?

ShortBuSX
April 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Could it be .93 and that its active?

I never would have figured it would have been hotter than a humbucker...my bad.

Big_Rob
April 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I called up Dimarzio this morning and the tech told me that the YMJ was a low output pickup and that it should work fine with the other pickup however I might need to adjust them to make them match up.