PDA

View Full Version : Classic 50s Stratocasters

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I'm reeeeally gassing for one of these babies in surf green...

of course now that I want one I've heard more vicious rumors that Fender may discontinue the Classic series of guitars. WHY!?! :mad:

Has anyone else by chance heard anything about this?

Robert
April 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'd love one of those too.... I HAVE to get a decent strat soon! And I should fix my SX strat so I can use it - I need a new neck for it.

SuperSwede
April 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
T2tb, I think that the classic 50´s are the most interesting MIM strats. Maple neck and gorgeous colors! And they have a very nice neck profile as well.
I would really like one of those myself, but I really want the blue (the green is awesome too).

jpfeifer
April 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
It would be cool to own one of these, just to have something that is more authentic to a vintage Fender look and feel.

One of my friends bought an Eric Johnson strat. That's another great guitar if you're looking for something more like a vintage Fender but with a few improvements such as a flatter fretboard radius for better bending, bigger frets, etc. It's a really nice guitar. I would get one of those if I didn't already have a good strat.

-- Jim

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Ok I emailed Fender earlier this afternoon and this is their reply...

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. Those guitars will not be discontinued. In fact, those guitars are some of our most popular models right now. We might be out of stock, but we will not be discontinuing them anytime soon. We hope this information will help you out.

Cool! Yes I agree. These MIMs are some of Fender's best guitars. I love my MIM Muddy Tele so since I don't have a maple necked guitar I think one of these lovelies in surf green will do. :D

warren0728
April 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Cool! Yes I agree. These MIMs are some of Fender's best guitars. I love my MIM Muddy Tele so since I don't have a maple necked guitar I think one of these lovelies in surf green will do. :D
i agree on the mim's....i love my mim standard tele!

ww

TS808
April 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
The classic series, in my opinion, offers the most bang for the buck. Just be aware though, that on the classic series strats (MIM) they don't have the original vintage tremelo. The saddles are die cast and the block is similar to that found on the standard strat...however, it can be replaced with an original with the nickel saddles.

One suggestion...also take some time and check out the Jimmie Vaughan strat. It has a 9.5" radius fretboard, an original vintage tremelo, same v-shape neck profile, and tex-mex pups. It comes in 2-tone 'burst, vintage white, black, and candy apple red.

Either way, with the classic series or JV strat, you can't go wrong though.

Lev
April 5th, 2007, 03:50 AM
...or the Classic Players series - a few dollars more but with lots of Custom Shop extras, see the review from Guitarist magazine in this thread..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2775

duhvoodooman
April 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I'm reeeeally gassing for one of these babies in surf green...
Hey, Tone! That happens to be my absolute favorite "pastel Strat" color combo--surf green with a maple neck. Gorgeous vintage look there. I'd say go for it. You can always upgrade hardware and p'ups later, if you want. :DR

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm not crazy about the Shoreline Gold color on the Players Strats. I'd replace the block and saddles with Callahams anyway on the Classics.

I've tried several JV Strats and loved them but the last couple of them I tried had a very hard V neck...not the soft V they advertise. Unless it was a fluke in production on those days...the necks were too fat. The Classic 50s I played was just right.

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not crazy about the Shoreline Gold color on the Players Strats. I'd replace the block and saddles with Callahams anyway on the Classics.

I've tried several JV Strats and loved them but the last couple of them I tried had a very hard V neck...not the soft V they advertise. Unless it was a fluke in production on those days...the necks were too fat. The Classic 50s I played was just right.

I am curious Tone, cause I know you have played around with one like mine, what the primary difference is to you. I would imagine the neck? Also, mine has tex mex pups. How is the sound different? Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love mine and think it is helping me find my own newbie sound, but inquiring minds want to know. :D

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I am curious Tone, cause I know you have played around with one like mine, what the primary difference is to you. I would imagine the neck? Also, mine has tex mex pups. How is the sound different? Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love mine and think it is helping me find my own newbie sound, but inquiring minds want to know. :D

Your anniversary Strat is awesome. I've played 3 of them so far and liked them very much.

For me the primary "difference" between an anniversary like yours and the Classic 50's Strat is the vibe. Surf Green body...same paint color offered on some 1957 Chevys. Pups are housed on a single ply pickguard while yours is 3 ply parchment. The Classics sport vintage Fender/Gotoh tuners while the anniversarys, MIM Standards and American Standards have the Fender/Shaller tuners. Both your guitar and the Classic 50s utilize the vintage trem system. The neck on the Classic 50s are tinted maple (ahhhhhh) with vintage frets. Body and neck are poly coated. Pickups on the Classic are vintage wound. Yours are the Tex Mex. The difference in sound between them is purely subjective.

Yes the necks are different...soft V as opposed to modern C. Even if the Classic had a C shape I wouldn't care. The vintage look and feel of the Classic 50s is what I like. These aren't real vintage instruments per se but they don't come with the real vintage instrument price tag either. It's a nice alternative to having something with that vintage vibe.

I also wanted to add that since I already have a MIM Standard 60s Strat I want a guitar that has that 50s thing going on to compliment my arsenal. My Muddy Waters Tele's got the vintage Tele vibe...50s body with 60s neck, vintage 3 saddle bridge and vintage Gotoh tuners etc. Poly body sure but then again it's reasonably priced. The Classic 50s is my next target.

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I get it. Like your Dad's chevy stepside pickup in a similar color. Just because I can't go play a classic, how would you describe the subjective difference in sound, for example a little cleaner, brighter, whatever. As I posted before, I do love the old swimming pool color. (I think that discussion got us going on the Dogtown thing last time LOL!)

BTW, I do love the tinted maple neck on mine, finished nicely in a warm honey color, but definately satin, and not a glossy at all as I figure the classics are. Again, a matter of taste.

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I get it. Like your Dad's chevy stepside pickup in a similar color. Just because I can't go play a classic, how would you describe the subjective difference in sound, for example a little cleaner, brighter, whatever. As I posted before, I do love the old swimming pool color. (I think that discussion got us going on the Dogtown thing last time LOL!)

BTW, I do love the tinted maple neck on mine, finished nicely in a warm honey color, but definately satin, and not a glossy at all as I figure the classics are. Again, a matter of taste.

To me the Tex Mex pups are bright and growly at full knob volume. But then again I back my volume knobs off on my guitars to get a cleaner more defined tone. I'd probably sound the same if I played through the Tex Mex's and the vintage wounds thats why I said it's so subjective. It varies between players...how hard or soft they play...how they've eq'd their amps etc. A lot of the sound as the tired cliche' goes really is in your hands.

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cool. That answers my question. Basically, you end up sounding close to the same with both because of technique, as long as the pups are decent. Even though I am a newbie, I like to think I am starting to find a sound I like coming from my own gear.

duhvoodooman
April 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Too bad they don't offer the 50's Strat in that turquoise color the '57 Bel Air convertible came in. My favorite '57 color! I was 6 years old when that model came out, and it's the first car I can remember being impressed by as a kid.

http://www.auto-classics.biz/10pic/57%20Bel%20Air%20Convert%20Turq/images/57_bel_air_conv_turq_1.jpg

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Too bad they don't offer the 50's Strat in that turquoise color the '57 Bel Air convertible came in. My favorite '57 color! I was 6 years old when that model came out, and it's the first car I can remember being impressed by as a kid.

http://www.auto-classics.biz/10pic/57%20Bel%20Air%20Convert%20Turq/images/57_bel_air_conv_turq_1.jpg

Tropical Turquoise, Twilight Turquoise or Nassau Blue? :) That's a sweet ride. Imagine that, a hot babe and a 1957 Stratocaster in the front seat? SUHWEET!

Iago
April 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
tehy had one of those classic series in surf green in a store i know here, though they sold it some time ago.. they look really neat, only the neck feels a bit plastic if u know what i mean and the pickguard tends to warp, but that a minor fix. the mim are the best bang for the buck hand down!

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Yeah the necks have poly on them. Actually Nitro necks will grip on your hands too after playing awhile but in a "dryer" way if that makes sense. At least that's the way it is on my Gibson. I could probably rub off a tiny bit of poly behind the neck with some steel wool or something or even just use some of the ole Finger Ease. Who cares it would look cool being played! ;)

I'd also swap out the single ply for my 3 ply white guard I took off my MIM Standard if the warping got really bad but I'd see first how it does. Again...who cares it would look cool being played by me! haha

Spudman
April 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I played one of the Classic 50's today and the 60th that Sun Valley has. I liked the neck on the 50's but the body wasn't as acoustically resonant as the 60th and didn't project as well either.
I was hesitant to plug it in because the last thing I need is another Strat. Did I just say that?

SuperSwede
April 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
T2tb, you need that green stratolicious babe a.s.a.p!

Sblack
April 6th, 2007, 05:53 AM

My Danelectro PB&J pedal looks exactly like that car.

I love the pedal, and the vibe is so vintage -- warm analog delay for days. :)

A maple necked Strat in that color would be too appealing for me.

Tone2TheBone
April 6th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I like the Fiesta Red ones parked next to that one. One of those colored Strats would be killer too.

SS - I'm working on it buddy. It's in motion.... :DR

Iago
April 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Sblack: the PB&J Delay is a digital pedal :)

oh, don't talk about fiesta red strats, pleeease! :D