PDA

View Full Version : tough call, hair or a girlfriend?

pie_man_25
April 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM
yeah, this is pretty much self explanatory, I like this girl, and I have long hair,
the early Led Zeppelin long and curly type of hair:DR , and this girl's only into those annoying, skater guys, (you know the type, with their black sweaters and hats in the middle of summer, playing cheap strat-knockoffs, with that short, straitened hair and the kinda long shorts) she said she'd go out with me if I cut my hair, but is it really worth it?

warren0728
April 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM
nope...find someone who likes you as you are...

ww

M29
April 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Say sure... if you cut yours first:D

M29

tot_Ou_tard
April 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I had that same kind'a hair when I was younger. My wife (then girlfriend) loved it. She said I looked like Jimmy Page.

I wish I still had enough hair to wear it like that.

Do what you want, but you might miss it if it goes.

marnold
April 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hair will grow back . . .

Katastrophe
April 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Nope. If she's wanting to change you before you go out, imagine what she'll want to change after...

Spudman
April 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Think about this: There are 3 billion women on the planet. One of them is going to dig the heck out of you just as you are. Don't for one minute waste your time with someone who wants you to change right up front.

Also...a real rocker changes when he or she wants to, not when someone else wants them to...unless it's the record company.:)

Danzego
April 5th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, definitely avoid her like the plague. Think about what she's telling you here, Pie: I don't like you the way you like yourself, but if you change yourself, then I'll consider going out with you.

What do you do with something like that? Say "ok, I'm going to get my hair cut and when I get back and show up on your doorstep, we'll be going out, right?" Seriously, take a few minutes to think about that and imagine how that would go- how that would feel to you.

Also, imagine if she changed her mind before you got back. Doh!!!! Or even went out with you and then what? She finds something else she doesn't like about you and requires you to change it or else she'll take off?

Forget about it, dude. Not worth the inevitable heartache.

Jimi75
April 5th, 2007, 01:46 AM
There is much fish in the sea!

Fingers
April 5th, 2007, 02:27 AM
A friend of mine was getting married to a girl who, due to nerves, had difficulty remembering the order of the wedding service. The Vicar explained, "......first you walk down the aisle......then you get to the altar.....and then we sing a hymn........just keep repeating it to yourself as you enter the church."

On the said day my friend was waiting in front of the Vicar and as his bride-to-be walked down towards him all he could hear her say was ".......Aisle, Altar, Hymn..........."

Needless to say it didn't last........................

I think the answer to your question is don't cut your hair.

SuperSwede
April 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM
I agree with everyone else, keep the hair!

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duhvoodooman
April 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Nope. If she's wanting to change you before you go out, imagine what she'll want to change after...
AMEN!! Listen to the K-man--he's captured the essence of the issue, IMO. Tell this chick to take a hike....

ted s
April 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
All great comments.. she's not doing you any favors Pie, tell her to change her attitude and maybe YOU will think about seeing HER.

Danzego
April 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
A friend of mine was getting married to a girl who, due to nerves, had difficulty remembering the order of the wedding service. The Vicar explained, "......first you walk down the aisle......then you get to the altar.....and then we sing a hymn........just keep repeating it to yourself as you enter the church."

On the said day my friend was waiting in front of the Vicar and as his bride-to-be walked down towards him all he could hear her say was ".......Aisle, Altar, Hymn..........."

Needless to say it didn't last........................

I knew there was a joke in there somewhere. I had to read it a couple times and repeat that to myself to catch it. Sweet!! :D

snarph
April 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Hey Dude like totally like shave you're Head Dude !!!! .................No Way Dude

pie_man_25
April 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
yeah, I spent a bit thinking, you know, listening to quadrophenia by the Who,
and Animals by Pink floyd, (those two albums somehow stimulate thought) and I figured, if I hate skaters, and she's into them, why change myself to fit her needs?
that would make me not only skater, but POSER skater, two things I hate, and I'd be both of them, why hate myself just for a girl? I look the way I do because I like it and I'm proud of it, yeah sure, she can call me hippy all she wants. If a hippy is willing to spend extra money on a Fender bass, and willing to look in a used secion for an amp, than call me a god damn hippy, I couldn't care less what people call me, and I couldn't be more happy the way I am. Besides, shouldn't she be the one ashamed of the way she is, because she knew how how I felt about her and still wanted me to change?

Spudman
April 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Some women can be manipulative. Now that you have seen how they can attempt that remember it for the future.

Rock on brother.

SuperSwede
April 6th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Some women can be manipulative. Now that you have seen how they can attempt that remember it for the future.

Brother Spud is right, you need to look for girls that YOU can manipulate instead... :p

the above comment was meant to be a joke, and I do not want to be chased by short haired girls from the womens right movement...

Justaguyin_nc
April 6th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Umm.. could you not just tuck your hair up under your hat for like a few dates..then dump her? just a thought...

Tone2TheBone
April 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM
That's the spirit that beat the Japanese! Us hippies have to stick together! Stick to your guns man! Right on!

Tim
April 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree with you Tone Man. The young lad should just walk away and show no action to her request. Let her come after him if she is interested. If he runs she may not be able to catch him, if that is want he wants.

pie_man_25
April 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Umm.. could you not just tuck your hair up under your hat for like a few dates..then dump her? just a thought...

Yeah but, we go to the same school, and we all know how tight High school VPs are about hats. Besides, I don't have any hats!

Mark
April 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Be true to yourself man! Dating is about finding the right person to be happy with, not changing someone to suite you...........unless your sole purpose is to "get jiggy with it" LOL then you must decide if losing yer wig is worth it. Personally I wouldnt, cause in the end dating is like waitin fer the bus theres a new one coming every ten minutes!

ShortBuSX
April 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Is it just me...or do all these "cut your hair" people just make you wanna grow it longer, or what?

warren0728
April 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
yeah....i used to have really long hair and have kept it cut really short for years now...this thread is tempting me to grow it long again!! :DR

ww

ShortBuSX
April 7th, 2007, 01:27 PM
yeah....i used to have really long hair and have kept it cut really short for years now...this thread is tempting me to grow it long again!! :DR

ww

I had long hair all the way through high school, when I graduated I felt it was a necessity to cut it all off for employment. But now that Ive got a comfortable job and all, and being single(not married anymore) for several years, and after about 15 years of short hair...I just felt like I needed to get back to my "self"...and after a little over a year or so, my hair is past my shoulders and falls in my face.
Id kinda forgotten what a pain having all this hair was like...but strangely enough I really dig having hair, I recon I'll enjoy it for as long as I can(knocks on wood).

What I cant help but notice or had noticed along the way....when I was a kid(bout 13-18), I found I got harrassed alot by authority, the stigma was "stoner hippie" if you had long hair. The long hair trend/fad kinda died with metal at the beginning to mid 90s...and I think that stigma has faded. But my observations now are people dont really take you too seriously if youve got long hair...boarderline lack of respect...does anybody else get this? As its kinda new to me...and I dont have alot of long haired friends to compair notes/observations with.

Mark
April 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM
For me no way! I have a head of thick and I mean like thick black hair and out here in SoCal with the warm weather I could not do it.

elavd
April 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM

;)

http://www.stereogum.com/img/spector.jpg

Iago
April 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
any pictures of her?
to make someone in doubt if u gonna cut ur hair or not.. must be quite a hottie.. :D

now answering: dont cut it.. tell her shes immature. All she wants to do is proove her "superiority" to men.. then laugh about it with her friends..

Danzego
April 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
What I cant help but notice or had noticed along the way....when I was a kid(bout 13-18), I found I got harrassed alot by authority, the stigma was "stoner hippie" if you had long hair. The long hair trend/fad kinda died with metal at the beginning to mid 90s...and I think that stigma has faded. But my observations now are people dont really take you too seriously if youve got long hair...boarderline lack of respect...does anybody else get this? As its kinda new to me...and I dont have alot of long haired friends to compair notes/observations with.

I caught a lot of crap back in the day, when you're talking about, but now I don't really have any problems with respect issues or anything. Well, at least not to my face and definitely not once I've had a chance to speak to someone (I tend to try to be well spoken and pretty much always have). These days, when I don't get a trim for a while, my hair reaches my waist in the back if I pull it straight. It's almost there right now, matter of fact. :DR

But I have had some interesting conversations regarding my hair since I'm in the midst of going to school to be a teacher. A secretary from EOU (Eastern Oregon), the school I'm transferring to in the Fall, asked if I'm going to cut my hair once I try to get a teaching job. I asked "Why would I do that?" and she said that they don't generally hire people with long hair. So, out of curiosity, I talked to my advisor from EOU and he said "If I were you, I would be a buzz cut, over the ear type of guy." I told him that's not me and I would consider changing my major or going in a totally different direction if that's the way things are in the teaching biz. After all, aren't we supposed to be teaching kids that you shouldn't discriminate over things like race, religion, looks, etc?

Whatever the case, I LIKE having long hair and even when I was little, there was a wig around the house that I would wear just because I wanted long hair. It's not something I just started growing because I wanted to be with the rock crowd or whatever. I've just always had that thing in me. Ain't no teacher admin types are going to tell me I have to wear my hair short so I can lie to children's faces and not to tolerate discrimination if I give in to that. :rolleyes:

Dang....now you've done struck a nerve in me. ;)

pie_man_25
April 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
you know, a lot of people kinda act like I'm stupid and all of them think I do drugs, at least until I start talking to them, honestly, it's really bad to stereotype like that. I've got long hair, so what? I don't think, unlike most teenagers, that fighting gets anywhere, the people who obsess over the holocaust piss me off, and I read Feodor dostoyevski on my spare time. When I talk to those people that stereotype me, they get new ideas about the unfairness of stereotyping people. I probably knew more from learning in grade school (they teach a lot less than people think) than they did in their universities. Also, people who work in musical instrument stores generally have long hair, and people don't really disrespect them.

also, in response to Iago, no I don't have pictures of her, but I'll give a description:
pretty damm hot!

Cranium
April 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
You know, a friend of mine had the same situation, after about a month, after he wasted alot of time and money on her, she told him to **** off.

Don't worry, there will be others.....probably ;).