PDA

View Full Version : Fullerton ST3 3 Single-Coil Pickup Solid Body Electric Guitar (Closeout) $49!

tremoloman
April 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hey guys... just a quick note for those wanting to pick up a sweet axe for a super low price!

My friend bought one of these and I was really skeptical. When I tried it I was amazed how tight and wonderful this guitar sounded! I ordered 2 of them after trying it out!

The quality of the two I've seen is even better than Squier IMHO. The stock pickups sound AWESOME and the hardware is much better than my SX and Squier's stock tuners.

For the price of a pickup, you've got nothing to lose!
http://www.music123.com/Search/Default.aspx?Ne=2974&N=64+4294907210+4294940441&Ns=p_Price%7c0

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Fullerton/291046.jpg http://images.music123.com/products/full/Fullerton/228783.jpg

There are also a few other models available for $49, so take a look!
I picked up two w/free shipping for $89! :D

Spudman
April 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Great tip. Thanks! I need another Strat type guitar.;) Awesome price but no free shipping.

tremoloman
April 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Great tip. Thanks! I need another Strat type guitar.;) Awesome price but no free shipping.Really? When you go to purchase one, the price drops to $44. Then w/shpping its $52.99 or so. Since I bought two it qualified for free shipping.

I don't know how the Strat style model is, but the black one above I bought is simply amazing. All it needed was a new set of strings and it rips. I'll be using this at upcoming gigs for sure!

Robert
April 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I bought one. I AM the King of cheap guitars! :) :)

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I bought one. I AM the King of cheap guitars! :) :) Well of course you are! I am sure you will make it rip. I will be interested to see how you like this one.

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hey guys... just a quick note for those wanting to pick up a sweet axe for a super low price!

My friend bought one of these and I was really skeptical. When I tried it I was amazed how tight and wonderful this guitar sounded! I ordered 2 of them after trying it out!

The quality of the two I've seen is even better than Squier IMHO. The stock pickups sound AWESOME and the hardware is much better than my SX and Squier's stock tuners.

For the price of a pickup, you've got nothing to lose!
http://www.music123.com/Search/Default.aspx?Ne=2974&N=64+4294907210+4294940441&Ns=p_Price%7c0

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Fullerton/291046.jpg http://images.music123.com/products/full/Fullerton/228783.jpg

There are also a few other models available for $49, so take a look!
I picked up two w/free shipping for $89! :D

Hey, did you happen to check out one of the double fats or fats? They only have them in black, but for $50 bucks, what the hey.

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the fat strat in black. Was $44.99 plus 5 or 6 bucks shipping. What a price!

Big K
April 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
went for the ST4, also a sucker for a deal....

sunvalleylaw
April 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
went for the ST4, also a sucker for a deal....
Yep, that's the one I went for. I figure it can be a good platform for experimenting with mods when I have time too, esp. at that price. They were out of the ST6 with the double humbuckers with a trem (hard tail only left) when I bought, so I am already thinking about a neck stacked humbucker, pots that will allow me to add coil taps, and adding some sort of tortoise shell pick guard, so that I end up with HSH, with taps, with a cool pickguard. I think I will spend some time studying the mod threads to map out a plan.

Big K
April 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM
exactly, push-pull pots, pickup or two, a little creative wiring & it becomes personalized....

kerc
April 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the lead! Although I still have a lay-away to deal with...Robert, you can make a cookie box strung with old bubble gum sound good!

tremoloman
April 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
So did any of you get yours yet? I would have bought one of the HH models but they weren't being offered when I purchased the 3 I did. Still I'm not complaining... the sound and quality is really amazing for the price. Stock pups work great clean or dirty.

Just be ready to change the strings... mine were rusty but other than that this is one sweet deal!

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Not yet. Still being processed in the warehouse. I ordered mine on the 6th. I am planning on leaving it here at the office for breaks, and was planning on putting on the same strings I use on my strat. Were the frets on yours in need of much? I was looking at the HH too, but they were gone when I decided to pull the trigger.

tremoloman
April 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Not yet. Still being processed in the warehouse. I ordered mine on the 6th. I am planning on leaving it here at the office for breaks, and was planning on putting on the same strings I use on my strat. Were the frets on yours in need of much? I was looking at the HH too, but they were gone when I decided to pull the trigger.Other than putting on a new set of strings, the guitar was perfect right out of the box.

Now for the 2 that are coming, we will have to wait and see. I could post a few pics of the 1st ST3 I got if anyone is interested. :)

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah, fire off some pics!

tremoloman
April 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
The two I just ordered came in... I'll post more but here is 1 picture I got time to upload at lunch.

I took the backplate off and I was shocked... FULL SIZE POTS! Also, the switch looks like the Megaswitch that is sold at Stew-Mac! These are high quality components! WOW! :)

sunvalleylaw
April 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
All right. Thanks for the post. I like that you are not afraid of the more colorful looks. Mine will be the all black. I am interested in fitting a PG, probably tortoise. I may go surf GuitarFetish to see what (if anything) they have for a strat that does not have the pups integrated with the PG. I may end up adding a bunch of stickers over time too, just for fun. We'll see. It might be fun to have one really nice clean strat, and one "trashy" modded up one. EDIT: I am thinking of turning it into a Frankenton, or . . . . I know, a Fulkenstein. :)

EDIT, SHIPPING UPDATE: tracking says it should show up the 16th.

marnold
April 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
For those of you who also own Squier or SX Strats, how do these Fullertons compare?

tremoloman
April 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM
For those of you who also own Squier or SX Strats, how do these Fullertons compare?I own both and now the Fullertons... I honestly have to say the Fullerton gets my nod in stock trim.

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM
T-man, thats a good looking guitar! Congrats :)

Big K
April 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
T-man; mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, I can't wait.... had a ??? though that has been bugging me.... if the body is solid or plywood?

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM
My ST4 arrived today, a business day early, in good shape. The strings will need to be changed, but it seems in good shape. The fret ends feel a little sharp to me compared to my strat, and the rosewood over the fretboard extends a little beyond the end of the maple neck at the bottom fret. Maybe that is normal, but it is not what I am used to seeing. (see pic at link below) The strings are a little floppy feeling, and don't hold a tune well, but I bought new strings to change out. It will be great to have here at the office to noodle with on breaks and as an extra. :DR

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010022.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010001.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010023.jpg

Robert
April 13th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Still waiting for mine... how's the feel of the neck? Any buzz problems with the frets?

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Robert: The neck feels fine. Flatter radius and thinner than my modern C strat, and certainly different. Action seems fine. No buzzing issues, though some of the ends, esp. down in the high teens and twenties, need to be softened a touch. I am pretty much a newb, and could be missing something, but this seems pretty nice for the price! Really better than I expected. I plugged it into my computer and listened really quietly at work, and it seems to sound decent there too!

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 10:58 PM
UPDATE/INITIAL REVIEW: Brought the Fullerton ST-4 (fat strat type, HSS) home and set up my stuff, I plugged in to my C-30, and played it alternating with my 60th strat. I started with no pedals, clean channel on the amph. Then I started adding pedals and such. Bottom line, I was really pleasantly impressed! For the price, it seems like a steal! Now the down and dirty:

Robert, now that I have played around a little harder with it, I do get a little fret buzz. Not super bad, but there. And this is with the action higher than on my 60th. I was getting it particularly with some open E minor chords I was playing. Low E string, up near or around the first - third frets. The fret ends definately need work. They are sharp all the way up and down the neck, and I was starting to get a sliver or two on my fret hand, and/or some chafing. The rosewood on the fret board does not seem too dry or anything, and the edges of the fret board itself seems nice. The neck on my 60th is just finished way nicer, both how it feels, and looks. As it should be for the difference in price, even before the blowout on these. The Fender neck is a little more substantial and rounded, and of course the fret radius is different. The fret wire is thinner than the medium jumbos on my Fender.

Weight is very close to the same as my 60th. Maybe a touch lighter. Shape is comfortable, but not quite as refined in my opinion, both looks and smoothness of contours. Big K, I have no idea what the body is made of, but it seems quite a bit lighter than a ply squire I borrowed for a while. The body paint seems finished pretty well in black. No really noticeable flaws or orange peel, etc. I have noticed so far. No pickguard on this one.

The tone knob (pot issue?) does not turn very freely.

The pickups sound pretty good to me. Overall, louder than my strat. Not as dynamic, warm, responsive and toneful as the tex mex pups on my strat, but really not bad. Compared to the tex mex ones, the sound really seems to "thin out" as you move the switch up from bridge to neck. The guitar has five very distinct tones with the switch. On the first night, I tend to like the bridge position, with the bucker, or one off, best. Overall, they just are not quite as full somehow. That said, if I am not sitting there comparing the two, the pups do just fine, My pedals really liven the guitar up. Also, it is now staying in tune a lot better.

(side note, watching Elvis Costello play a tele type geetar on Austin City Limits as I write this. Always liked him. Apparently the angels have stolen his red shoes again. Hah, he just invited the audience up on stage with him!)

Once the ST-4 gets the frets cleaned up, and some set up to address the little bit of buzzing, it will do very nicely for my purposes. Certainly a good second guitar. I am excited to have it! Anyway, those are the thoughts of a semi-newbie experiencing his second electric guitar.

P.S. What is so funny about peace, love and understanding? Oh, and . . .

Pump it Up! :DR

Big K
April 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
my ST4 arrived yesterday, expected a black body but to my suprise upon opening was a silver metalflake finished body. saddles needed some major adjustment but no buzz or rattles once dialed in. the frets are fairly small vintage sized with some smoothing to be done to the ends, they tore my hand up pretty good in an hour of goofing around.. Sunvalleylaw's review summed it up nicely. a pickup change should really make it a nice guitar, would say it would compare to a $150>$200 (a notch above entry level) piece for 50 bucks.... very pleased:D

tot_Ou_tard
April 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
(side note, watching Elvis Costello play a tele type geetar on Austin City Limits as I write this. Always liked him. Apparently the angels have stolen his red shoes again. Hah, he just invited the audience up on stage with him!)

P.S. What is so funny about peace, love and understanding? Oh, and . . .

Pump it Up! :DR

Damn! I missed him. I love Elvis Costello...My Aim is True, Imperial Bedroom..just great stuff.

I was at an Elvis show at the Warfield in San Francisco in the 80's. I went to the urinal, guess who was at the next urinal? Bruce Springsteen..too bad I never liked his music. After we left the bathroom, my friend asked him when his next album was coming out. He said soon. That was Born in the USA.

The funniest thing was after he left a chick in tight pants asked us if that was Bruce Springsteen & we said yes....she bolted up the stairs after him. :D

I'm waiting for the end of the world.....:R

stingx
April 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM
My ST4 arrived today, a business day early, in good shape. The strings will need to be changed, but it seems in good shape. The fret ends feel a little sharp to me compared to my strat, and the rosewood over the fretboard extends a little beyond the end of the maple neck at the bottom fret. Maybe that is normal, but it is not what I am used to seeing. (see pic at link below) The strings are a little floppy feeling, and don't hold a tune well, but I bought new strings to change out. It will be great to have here at the office to noodle with on breaks and as an extra. :DR

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010022.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010001.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/P1010023.jpg

In P1010001.jpg the action looks really high.

sunvalleylaw
April 14th, 2007, 09:45 PM
In P1010001.jpg the action looks really high.

Yep, Pete, it is. I commented on that in my more full review. And it still buzzes some with the action that high. Will need some set up work. Big K apparently got his squared away with some work at the bridge/saddles. Guess I better study up on that.

tremoloman
April 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Sorry I haven't posted more pics already!

I've read some all of the posts of the Fullertons thus far and your impresions are accurate as far as what I'm feeling. Since I ordered 3 of these, I can tell you a few things I noticed.

2 out of 3 came with the wrong size whammy bar. It's useable, but the shaft on the threaded end is too short to clear clear the tone and volume knob.
Some frets are sharp and need to be filed before they turn your hands into hamburger.
2 out of 3 needed to have the nuts filed. My G string sounded like a sitar on the two that came in most recently, but a quick file and a little pencil lead cleared this up nicely.
Electronics are excellent - high quality pots and switches.To those of you who mentioned the knobs being stiff to turn, just pull up on the knob a little... it's just rubbing against the body.

Over for the cost I think it's a hell of a steal! I'm pawning one off in our family's annual Christmas grab, donating one to a friend who's eager to learn thr guitar, and the last one is staying right here with me! :)

Robert
April 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Still haven't received mine. Are the frets super-tiny, so it's hard to grab the string? I can't stand those kind of frets.

sunvalleylaw
April 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Still haven't received mine. Are the frets super-tiny, so it's hard to grab the string? I can't stand those kind of frets.

No, I wouldn't say super tiny. I did not think it was hard to grab a string, though some polishing for smoothness wouldn't hurt. Look at the second jpg I list in my earlier post. It gives you a good idea of the size.

Big K
April 17th, 2007, 09:38 AM
New fret wire from http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretwire/1/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire.html or elsewhere and an afternoon of time and that vintage wire can be a thing of the past....

Robert
April 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I got mine today. I am quite impressed! Hands down, it beats the quality of my SX strat. The neck is much higher quality. The sounds is a little dark, but still very good for a 44 dollar guitar. What a steal!

I haven't adjusted it anything yet - I'll adjust the action a bit and try out the tremolo. The nut is that plastic crap again, like all cheap guitars. I'll install a Tusq pre-slotted nut this weekend.

So far, my impression is a fantastic guitar for the price. The quality seem, at first glance anyway, to be like the Squiers I have.

Later,
R

sunvalleylaw
April 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I got mine today. I am quite impressed! Hands down, it beats the quality of my SX strat. The neck is much higher quality. The sounds is a little dark, but still very good for a 44 dollar guitar. What a steal!

I haven't adjusted it anything yet - I'll adjust the action a bit and try out the tremolo. The nut is that plastic crap again, like all cheap guitars. I'll install a Tusq pre-slotted nut this weekend.

So far, my impression is a fantastic guitar for the price. The quality seem, at first glance anyway, to be like the Squiers I have.

Later,
R

How were your frets? Sharp? Is it easy to do the tusq nut? I would like to do that myself. I also need to adjust my action.

Robert
April 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Frets were just fine! Installing a Tusq nut is easy-peasy. I shall do that soon.

Dang, it plays nicely! Maybe I'll just install some quality pickups and this can be my number 1 strat! Hehe!

I am really thinking about selling my SX now. Except I installed my Fender CS 54s and a new bridge on it.

Tremoloman, do you feel the Fullerton is better quality than the SX SST57? I have a Franken-SX SST62 I think - it's not quite the same as the other SST57/62 strats, since my came with a practice amp and other stuff.

marnold
April 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Frets were just fine! Installing a Tusq nut is easy-peasy. I shall do that soon.
Hmmm, I smell another Dolphin Street instructional video! Although I may have to dock you 10 points for use of the phrase "easy-peasy." I'll cut you some slack since you have small children. Or maybe it's some suggestive slang term in Canadio-Swedish.

In all seriousness, how would you compare it to your beloved '51?

Robert
April 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM
How it compares? Well, let me think about that one for a while. I am still in the cheap-guitar-honeymoon, if there is such a thing.

I jammed with it all night yesterday. It worked really well. Stayed in tune, a blast to play. The only things I need to do right now is get a new nut and better pickups. The pickups sound a little muddy and unclear, especially with distortion.

snarph
April 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Robert where are you getting pr-cut Tusk nuts

Robert
April 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Robert where are you getting pr-cut Tusk nuts

I bought mine in a local music store.

Tone2TheBone
April 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Pre-grooved Tusq nuts for Strats and Teles are great and are easy to install. They're the fix for stock miscut plastic nuts from Mexico.

sunvalleylaw
April 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
There is an online store link here I found:
http://www.graphtech.com/tusq_info.php

Big K
April 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM
StewMac has a couple of pre-cut nuts:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Tusq_Nuts.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Graph_Tech_Nuts.html

GPD has a good selection also:

http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?LNG=en-US&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GraphTech

Robert
April 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hey, let's stay on topic - feel free to start a new thread about nuts. Go nuts! :)

I wrote up my Fullerton Review here (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/fullerton_stratocaster) - with a picture even. :DR

WackyT
April 24th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi Robert. Got the same guitar as your Fullerton, except mine is left-handed. Where would I find a pre-slotted Tusq nut or graphite nut for her, and can I replace the nut myself?

Robert
April 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
You can get on of those nuts in most music store. Yes you can replace it yourself. An Exacto knife works well to cut around the nut in case there is laquer holding it in place. Then gently pry it up.

WackyT
April 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks Robert. There's a Musician's Superstore right down the street. I'll go down this weekend and see what they have.

duhvoodooman
April 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'm really not lookling for another S-S-S guitar, with my Strat and Nashville Tele, but I see they have a "Fat Fully" H-S-S model for $60 and free shipping. Very tempting! Anybody tried this one??

I still have the Lace Sensor Gold p'ups that came out of my Strat and a Gibson Classic '57 that came in my Epi Dot that I could use to upgrade from the stock Fullerton p'ups....

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm really not lookling for another S-S-S guitar, with my Strat and Nashville Tele, but I see they have a "Fat Fully" H-S-S model for $60 and free shipping. Very tempting! Anybody tried this one??

I still have the Lace Sensor Gold p'ups that came out of my Strat and a Gibson Classic '57 that came in my Epi Dot that I could use to upgrade from the stock Fullerton p'ups....

DVM, that is the one I purchased. I reviewed it above, and submitted a newbie review (basically a copy of the above post), here:
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3019

Bottom line, a good starting point for mods, and not bad just to have as an extra as is. As Robert says, the PUPs are a little thin and muddy, the frets on mine needed some cleaning up, and the action adjusted. Other than that, really impressed for the price. BigK also picked up the Fully ST4 HSS. He commented earlier in the thread.

duhvoodooman
April 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Geez, a brain is a terrible thing to waste, huh? :o

That's right, now I remember you bought the H-S-S version, as did BigK. Guess I forgot about that after reading the recent stuff on the S-S-S version. I'll go back & re-read the comments you guys posted.

I certainly don't expect Fender CS quality (or MIM quality, for that matter!) for $60, so even with the minor annoyances/deficiencies you mention, these guitars seem like a steal. And with a little work, you should be able to turn one into a very nice playing & sounding instrument. I may just buy one, tinker with it a bit, and throw it up on eBay to see what I can get for it!

7lords
April 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
but I see they have a "Fat Fully" H-S-S model for $60 and free shipping. Very tempting! Anybody tried this one??
Mine arrived on Friday (along with a $35.99 (39.99 - 10%) Fullerton Standard Solid Body Electric Guitar (Sunburst B-Stock but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it)) but I haven't had time to do much (just got home yesterday). Just wanted you to know that it does not have free shipping - I think that's left from when it was 99.99 - but with the 10% discount, it should be $59.94 shipped.

Robert
April 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I made a video clip with my completely stock Fullerton Strat copy.. check it out!

The guitar completely rox for $44.99!

Fullerton Strat copy video clip (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-38.php)

I have another part of this video where I use the Yellow Zonkin' Screamer with good results. :) I'll post that some other day.

mikew
April 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Unless, of course, you would like to part with those Lace Sensor Golds! :cool:

duhvoodooman
April 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered one of those ST4's, a.k.a. the "Fat Fully", in the reverse red burst color. For $60 and the endorsement of so many respected ( :eek: ) Fretters, how can you go wrong??? :DR

P.S. MikeW, check your PM's....

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
No brainer for a master tinkerer like yourself. It is going to be my learning piece for tinkering. I plan to fix up the minor issues and learn simple stuff that way, then maybe mess around with push/pull pots, pups and whatever strikes my fancy. To do it on a decent quality piece that cost $44.99 before shipping is great. Better even than a $99 modder.

WackyT
April 24th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I made a video clip with my completely stock Fullerton Strat copy.. check it out!

The guitar completely rox for $44.99!

Fullerton Strat copy video clip (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-38.php)

I have another part of this video where I use the Yellow Zonkin' Screamer with good results. :) I'll post that some other day.

Can't wait until I sound even a percentage that good. I'm glad I got this guitar.

sunvalleylaw
April 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Pretty amazing Robert!

duhvoodooman
April 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Make that day soon, please!! Dying to hear you play through the ZYS!

the1percent
April 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
First time poster and new member here. My user name is a tribute to the early name of Lynyrd Skynyrd. I am 47 and have been fooling with guitars since I was 12. Glad I found this site. Hi all!

I received the ST4 today. Very good deal for sure. I own a 1980 LesPaul and a Custom Shop Fender Strat. This guitar may not be in that category, but it is fun to play. The frets are sharp on the sides and will need filing/sanding. The plastic nut looks ok. The action is low and i have not noticed any buzz. Looks like I got lucky on the setup. The neck is straight and I like the feel. Electronics are nice and hardware is tight. Tremelo is average, but I don't use it. Tuners are closed and tight also. Pups are hot and very lively. Not as warm as my strat, but sound very good through both my Marshall practice amp and my Marshall Valvestate. Unreal guitar for less than $60. A high quality guitar for the price. Sometimes you DO get more than you pay for. A great guitar for my learning son to keep him off my guitars. :)

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/fullerton.jpg

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Welcome the1percent! So you are into the "noble five" ? :)

Lev
April 25th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Robert, I think that proves the rule that 90% of tone is in the fingers, I can't quite believe the sound you are getting from such an inexpensive guitar.

duhvoodooman
April 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hey there, 1%! Thanks for posting the pic as well as the insightful comments! I just ordered exactly that guitar yesterday, and the reverse red burst finish is a lot nicer looking than it appeared on the Music123 site. Hope the quality on mine is as good as yours. I've been reading some comments about neck twist issues on these guitars that's a bit concerning, but hey--we'll just have to see when it arrives. Sure is purty, though, especially for under $60 delivered!!

P.S. Please stop by the Fret Players forum and properly introduce yourself!

tremoloman
April 25th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I am really thinking about selling my SX now. Except I installed my Fender CS 54s and a new bridge on it.

Tremoloman, do you feel the Fullerton is better quality than the SX SST57? I have a Franken-SX SST62 I think - it's not quite the same as the other SST57/62 strats, since my came with a practice amp and other stuff.The hardware on the Fullerton is better than the SX - no question. I love my SST57, but I would have to say in stock trim the Fullerton is the better deal. The SX has the looks and vintage vibe, but the Fullerton has the hardware and attention to detail that the SX lacks. The SST57 is just a SST62 with a rosewood neck. I'm very impressed with the Fullertons!

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Welcome the1percent! So you are into the "noble five" ? :)

I would love to have some of their earliest recordings as they got started. I'm sure they were not worried about recording at that early age.
I am a memeber of Ed King's board and we have a guy from Sweden on there. Might he be you?

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Robert, I think that proves the rule that 90% of tone is in the fingers, I can't quite believe the sound you are getting from such an inexpensive guitar.

Ed King has stated this very fact many times. Much like an artist who paints or an author who writes a story, feeling radiates outward to the hands. Feeling is certainly in the fingers and thus the tone you speak of is produced. Simply put, you are correct. :D

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Rats! I waited too long and the sunburst is gone. I got the ST4 and like it a lot, but wanted the strat copy also. Ah well. Are these two guitars the same other than the color and pick guard? The single coil pups should be the same...right?

thanks!

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I would love to have some of their earliest recordings as they got started. I'm sure they were not worried about recording at that early age.
I am a memeber of Ed King's board and we have a guy from Sweden on there. Might he be you?

Its not me!
Wasnt there some older recordings in the Skynyrd CD box? I might be mistaken though...

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Its not me!
Wasnt there some older recordings in the Skynyrd CD box? I might be mistaken though...

Yes there are. Not sure if they are that old though. I'll have to ask around.

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yes there are. Not sure if they are that old though. I'll have to ask around.

I think that the box version of "Junkie" is pretty old.. but we can continue this discussion in a more appropriate forum section.

7lords
April 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Rats! I waited too long and the sunburst is gone. I got the ST4 and like it a lot, but wanted the strat copy also. Ah well. Are these two guitars the same other than the color and pick guard? The single coil pups should be the same...right?
Keep watching the site - I got a BStock Sunburst last week for less than $35.99 and it's awesome (don't know why it's B-Stock) - different things reappear on the site all of the time.

WackyT
April 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Was having a hell of a time trying to get a clean D7 chord. Found a document on how to setup an electric guitar, and found out there was a bit of a concave bow in the neck and the string height was way too high. After a quarter turn clockwise on the truss rod, and adjusting the string height progressively from 2mm at the 12th fret for low E to 1.5mm at the 12th fret for high E, she feels a lot better. How long does it take to build up calluses on your fingertips?

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM
How long does it take to build up calluses on your fingertips?

Wish I remembered. I've had mine since age 12. I'm 47 now. :)
There were a couple of times in between when I had them bleeding.
I'm not near that dedicated now days. It's sad.

tot_Ou_tard
April 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Was having a hell of a time trying to get a clean D7 chord. Found a document on how to setup an electric guitar, and found out there was a bit of a concave bow in the neck and the string height was way too high. After a quarter turn clockwise on the truss rod, and adjusting the string height progressively from 2mm at the 12th fret for low E to 1.5mm at the 12th fret for high E, she feels a lot better. How long does it take to build up calluses on your fingertips?
For me it was a coupl'a weeks.

Big K
April 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
couple of pix of the one I received prior to the pickup replacement surgery scheduled for Saturday... GFS overwound single coils are due Friday and a 15K humbucker thats in the parts drawer...:D

the1percent
April 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Could someone please tell me how to file the fret ends on this Fullerton? Seems all of them have been received with a bit of sharpness. thanks

Robert
April 26th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Make that day soon, please!! Dying to hear you play through the ZYS!

Here you go... Fullerton with the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer! (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-39.php) :DR

1% - you can use fine sand paper. Wrap it around a stick or something so you can focus on sanding the fret end and not the neck. I often sand the whole neck anyway and add a few coats of Tru-oil - makes the neck nice and smooth.

Spudman
April 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I sat here with my eyes closed and there is no way that I can tell what guitar you are playing. It sounds totally authentic and professional. Ain't it funny that the pedal cost 3 times the price of the guitar?:D

duhvoodooman
April 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Ain't it funny that the pedal cost 3 times the price of the guitar?
AND WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! :eek: ;) :D

Seriously, Robert, was great. I think it shows the nice overdriven tone the ZYS can add while still being very transparent. And that Fullerton Strat sounds unbelievable for the price! I have the HSS version en route right now, and can hardly wait to plug in my "Fat Fully" and hear how good that one sounds! :DR

Tone2TheBone
April 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm glad you got a rosewood necked guitar. You sound different with one. :) Cool video.

SuperSwede
April 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Good Video Robert. That one will boost both the hitrate on your youtube page, as well as the interest in fine btq pedals!

Spudman
April 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
AND WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! :eek: ;) :D

:DR

I highly agree.:)

tremoloman
April 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Robert, every time I think I'm getting better at guitar I watch one of your videos and it makes me want to hang it up. Damn you are good my friend!

What a killer tone on the Fullerton too! Seems like you got a nice one! :)

duhvoodooman
April 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
My "Fat Fully" (ST4 HSS model) was delivered here to work this morning, and I just can't get over what $60 (delivered!!) will buy. I definitely got "one of the good ones", because not only is the neck straight as a string, but the action is set up just the way I like it, too. Low enough to play fast, and nothing but the slightest hint of a buzz on a couple of strings. The intonation needs to be tweaked some, but that's pretty typical for most new guitars, even ones 20x this price. The strings and neck feel a little sticky right from the factory, but I'm sure that will clean right up. The finish on the rosewood fingerboard is among the best I've ever encountered on a cheap guitar, much better than most Squiers I've seen.

Yes, as everyone else has commented, the fret ends are fairly ragged and will needed to be filed or sanded smooth. The knobs and switches feel nice and substantial, not chintzy at all. Ditto on the tuners. The "reverse red burst" finish is quite attractive, and a bit unusual as well. You can see some wood grain lines coming through the finish if you view it at an extreme angle, but from anything +/- 60 deg. from vertical, it looks great. There's one small ding in the finish on the left-front about at the height where the neck ends, but you have look close to even notice it.

Tone-wise, I'll need to plug it into an amp before I can really judge, but I did bring the Arion Hot-Watt II headphone amp I bought last week on MF's "Stupid Deal of the Day" and tried it through that. The two single coil pickups seem to articulate nicely and didn't sound that much different than my Strat did through the Hot-Watt II. The humbucker sounded nice and full, with a pretty good growl to it. But you get very little bottom with the Arion headphone rig, so I really need to hear it through a proper amp to evaluate the p'ups fully.

In any case, this guitar is easily worth 2 - 3x what Music123 is charging for it. So if you're thinking about picking up one of these as a backup guitar, for one of your kids, as a gift, etc., my advice is GO FOR IT!!!

the1percent
April 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
ALERT everyone!!!

The ST4 (black only) priced at $29.99 ($26.99 after 10% discount) just a few minutes ago. I couldn't resist. Got two for my nephews!! Less than $60 shipped for TWO!! Crazy man...that is the price I paid for for the ONE reverse sunburst I got last week. I hope they arrive as nice as it did....

http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-ST4-Fat-style-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i291049.music

duhvoodooman
April 30th, 2007, 03:17 PM
That's just NUTS!!! :eek:

Grab 'em, guys--you won't be sorry!! :DR

the1percent
April 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM
That's just NUTS!!! :eek:

Grab 'em, guys--you won't be sorry!! :DR

I sure wasn't. If they are as near setup as the reverse sunburst i got last week....wow. Remember though, ya'll, the frets are not smooth on the sides. I haven't sanded mine yet. Hope I do it correctly.

the1percent
April 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Here you go... Fullerton with the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer! (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-39.php) :DR

1% - you can use fine sand paper. Wrap it around a stick or something so you can focus on sanding the fret end and not the neck. I often sand the whole neck anyway and add a few coats of Tru-oil - makes the neck nice and smooth.

Robert,
Do I use regular wood sandpaper or the kind that is for metal? And can I find Tru-oil locally?

kerc
April 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Must....not....yield....:(

Robert
April 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Robert,
Do I use regular wood sandpaper or the kind that is for metal? And can I find Tru-oil locally?

Just fine sand paper made for wood. Tru-oil you can find in a gun shop.

Insane deals on the Fullertons! I can not believe this - completely nuts! :eek:

tremoloman
April 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Holy crap!!! I don't believe it!!!

Like you I couldn't resist... I bought two of them myself! Well I've now got some kick a$$ gifts to give my cousins when their birthdays come around! :)

Thanks for the update!

-Trem

ALERT everyone!!!

The ST4 (black only) priced at $29.99 ($26.99 after 10% discount) just a few minutes ago. I couldn't resist. Got two for my nephews!! Less than $60 shipped for TWO!! Crazy man...that is the price I paid for for the ONE reverse sunburst I got last week. I hope they arrive as nice as it did....

http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-ST4-Fat-style-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i291049.music

duhvoodooman
April 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Yup, I bought another, too! I'll stick it in the closet for a gift when needed! :DR

Big K
April 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM
went for a red reverse burst this time..if it arrives near the quality of the first one, wow what a deal.. pretty soon they will be adding credit to the visa cards when they send these out....jeez how low can they go?

WackyT
April 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Too bad there's no leftys, only rightys. :(

Hogfullofblues
April 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
What a great thread!
First a deal, then reviews, vids, got to hear Robert and Vood's Screamer, mods, supplier links, some skynyrd and then a better deal! After all that, had to buy one too.
Thanks for the tips!

Big K
April 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
WackyT: get one, re-string it to a lefty, change the strap holders and play it Hendrix style..... For the price:rolleyes:

WackyT
April 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I should, shouldn't I?

Spudman
April 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Damn! @~$$^&### You guys! I just ordered 4 guitars.:eek: Crap! I can't believe you did this to me.

The Mantua Classical sells for $399 but I just got a B stock for $60. Heads up if you are looking for a classical.

I got a ST1, a ST3 and a ST4 along with the classical. :o What am I doing?????!!!!!

kerc
April 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I should, shouldn't I?

Buy one and go for the Hendrix vibe. :D

F_BSurfer
April 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yea like I need two more guitars 60 bucks couldn't stop myself

the1percent
April 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Not sure if ya'll saw this, but another price drop on the standard this time.

was $59.99 now $29.99 for any of the 3 colors.

Now the ST1, ST3 and ST4 are all $29.99. I suspect they will all sell out finally.

Man. 4 guitars today. crazy. Wish I had gotten them all at the same time for free shipping, but the st4 was 29.99 b4 the standards. im calling 123 in the morning to see if they will credit the $11.90 for shipping since I bought all 4 same day. Hey, it is worth a try. :P

Here's the link to the standard

http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-Standard----Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i228780.music

Spudman
April 30th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Man. 4 guitars today. crazy. Wish I had gotten them all at the same time for free shipping, but the st4 was 29.99 b4 the standards. im calling 123 in the morning to see if they will credit the $11.90 for shipping since I bought all 4 same day. Hey, it is worth a try. :P

I think I might have to do the same thing. I called 5 minutes after I placed an order online and asked to have everything put into one order. I'm not sure if they did that or not. Otherwise I'm going to have to pay $4.95 to ship 4 guitars. LOL:D

FYI - 4 guitars ship FREE!

the1percent
April 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think I might have to do the same thing. I called 5 minutes after I placed an order online and asked to have everything put into one order. I'm not sure if they did that or not. Otherwise I'm going to have to pay $4.95 to ship 4 guitars. LOL:D

FYI - 4 guitars ship FREE!

I thought as much so i placed another order (2 standards, 1 ST3 and 1 ST4)and emailed them to cancel the first two orders.

Saving $11.90 would be good. LOL.

I even sent another email requesting a $30 credit for the first order last week for the ST4 @ $59.99. Price drop on closeouts are not supposed to be price guaranteed, but I have always had the motto..You never know if you don't ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Thanks,

Hey do any of ya'll chat on yahoo or msn?

yahoo id = the1percent
msn = mojolicious@hotmail.com

the1percent
April 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I should, shouldn't I?

Well, did ya?

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2007, 05:21 AM
I even sent another email requesting a $30 credit for the first order last week for the ST4 @ $59.99. Price drop on closeouts are not supposed to be price guaranteed, but I have always had the motto..You never know if you don't ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.
I did the same thing. As you said, can't hurt to ask--the worst they can do is refuse!

jasongins
May 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM
I just went in for 2 ST4s, one black and one red burst. I really don't need them and I don't quite know what I am going to do with them, but this is so stupid I had to be part of it.

Hey Spud- You seem to order guitars fairly regularly. I am curious to know exactly how many you have at this point, and how you store them all.

WackyT
May 1st, 2007, 06:10 AM
Well, did ya?

Nope. I've got my eye on a Kalamazoo tube amp on eBay right now. I'm happy with my lefty strat, and can't really justify another one right now.

jasongins
May 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM
At very least, they make good gifts. I may just sit on one or both of the ST4s I ordered until I can figure out who to give them to.

Spudman
May 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM
I just went in for 2 ST4s, one black and one red burst. I really don't need them and I don't quite know what I am going to do with them, but this is so stupid I had to be part of it.

Hey Spud- You seem to order guitars fairly regularly. I am curious to know exactly how many you have at this point, and how you store them all.

Guitars in every room except for bathroom and kitchen. 12 in the office/studio, 9 in the living room, one in each bedroom. The rest are in a closet in cases. I make nice wall hangars for them.

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 07:27 AM
Guitars in every room except for bathroom and kitchen. 12 in the office/studio, 9 in the living room, one in each bedroom.

You must not be married. Or maybe I just have a cranky wife. LOL.

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM
I did the same thing. As you said, can't hurt to ask--the worst they can do is refuse!

Got to work and followed up my emails by calling customer service. I was able to cancel the first two orders. Now I have the 4 guitar order with no shipping. :) I also see where they processed a credit for the shipping on the ST4 last week. No word on the $30 credit I requested. I didn't ask the CSR while on the phone as I didn't wanna push my luck as she was already canceling two orders for me. The wife would have really been disturbed to see EIGHT guitars delivered. LOL.

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2007, 07:44 AM
I make nice wall hangars for them.
hanger (noun) - a device by which or to which something is hung or hangs.

hangar (noun) - a covered and usually enclosed area for housing and repairing aircraft.

Given the number of guitars you have, Spudley, I think "hangar" was definitely the correct choice here.... :D

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 08:04 AM
More deals....

http://images.music123.com/products/original/Silvertone/99185.jpg

$39.99 before 10% discount.

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Aria/100966.jpg

$29.99 before 10% discount

Not sure how good these are, but very cheap for a beginner.

sunvalleylaw
May 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM
The Aria package gets really good reviews. I am considering one for my son, due to the extra gear. Even if the amp, etc. gets replaced, it has everything in it. When I find it on music 123 though, it says $49.99, not $29.99. Still . . . I should do that, or a Fully for him for the $29.99. I still have to fix the action on mine (I think the neck seems straight, just needing set up) and file the frets. I am away this week, but checking in because as Spud says, I just can't stay away. Did Legoland yesterday. Could not get to the guitar store Aeolian suggested as we were there literally all day. Maybe heading up to Huntington Beach area to try to find some guitar and surf points of interest today I think. Was going to try to find Fender in Corona, but it looks like they don't have any public tours or etc.

7lords
May 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM
The Aria package gets really good reviews. I am considering one for my son, due to the extra gear. Even if the amp, etc. gets replaced, it has everything in it. When I find it on music 123 though, it says $49.99, not $29.99. Still . . . I should do that, or a Fully for him for the $29.99. Choose Sunburst and it's $29.99

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
Choose Sunburst and it's $29.99

What he said

http://www.music123.com/Aria-Deluxe--Package-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i100963.music

jasongins
May 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
This is madness. You can hardley buy the gig bag alone for that kind of money.

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
This is madness. You can hardley buy the gig bag alone for that kind of money.

Maybe they know something we don't know? Like maybe electricity is going up to $20/kwhour? LOL.

k2d2
May 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the heads up. It all started with what seemed too good to be true: the Squier '51 for $99. So that made me trust Robert, so when he says the Fullerton is a good guitar for $44....seems too good to be true, but my Fullerton is being delivered today. And now the Aria?!!! I just ordered it. For less than I can fill up the tank with gas, I'm experiencing cheap GAS.

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
I just ordered one of those Aria Strat packs, too. I mean, for $32 delivered, I'll find a good home for it somewhere! :eek: :D

k2d2
May 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
2 more for birthday presents for kids....cant' go wrong.

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
I just ordered one of those Aria Strat packs, too. I mean, for $32 delivered, I'll find a good home for it somewhere! :eek: :D

Same here. Just got the Aria Sunburst package. My nephew will love it. Now I have ot try and wait until Christmas...his b-day was in February. LOL.

The CSR said they have a lot of guitars they are trying to clear out for new stock. I would be surprised if they don't sell out at $29.99, but if it drops lower I'd be like :eek:

duhvoodooman
May 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
The Fullerton ST3's and 4's appear to be gone--the pages give an error message now. The Standard is still showing in stock, though. For how long is anybody's guess--these are moving fast, as you'd expect at these insane prices!

7lords
May 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Looks like all the Fullertons for $29.99 are now gone

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Looks like all the Fullertons for $29.99 are now gone

Oh they're not gone...we will see a bunch of them in about a week. HERE!!

LOL.

7lords
May 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Oh they're not gone...we will se a bunch of them in about a week. HERE!!

LOL.
Yep, I have my fill now. Went from 0 guitars 3 weeks ago to now owning 4 :D

the1percent
May 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yep, I have my fill now. Went from 0 guitars 3 weeks ago to now owning 4 :D

Well, the best part about all of this is that I found this place.

WackyT
May 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
OK. You got me. Ordered a Black left-handed Strat Deluxe Pack to go along with my Sunburst one. Also added a hardshell case and paid the same as I did for just the guitar pack 2 weeks ago.

Spudman
May 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
You must not be married. Or maybe I just have a cranky wife. LOL.

Check out the Queensryche post. No problems from Mrs. Spud about guitars. They make nice "functional" art.

I'm not saying anything about your wife. Only you would know.;)

Spudman
May 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
hanger (noun) - a device by which or to which something is hung or hangs.

hangar (noun) - a covered and usually enclosed area for housing and repairing aircraft.

Given the number of guitars you have, Spudley, I think "hangar" was definitely the correct choice here.... :D

Don't you think I've been considering one of those B52 amphs?:D

Oh, and thanks for the language correction.

sunvalleylaw
May 1st, 2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, like here. My internet connection puked this morning and we left for the day. Came back and they were gone. Maybe I can talk someone out of an extra Fully or Aria after they arrive and someone decides they don't need like 8 or whatever! :p

Spudman
May 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah, like here. My internet connection puked this morning and we left for the day. Came back and they were gone. Maybe I can talk someone out of an extra Fully or Aria after they arrive and someone decides they don't need like 8 or whatever! :p

I've got your back brother Steve.:)

sunvalleylaw
May 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM
I knew you would. I went ahead and ordered the $59.99 Fullerton deluxe strat pack anyhow. He will need a little amph, and all the rest of it, and $59.99 is still a screaming deal for that guitar and all the stuff. Thanks dude!

k2d2
May 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
At my door yesterday was the ST3 in blue reverse burst. It's funny, but when I played it, it didn't quite sound like Robert's video. In fact, take this all with a grain of salt in that I've only played acoustics until a few months ago when I tried the '51. By comparison: biggest difference I noticed is how sharp all the frets were on the Fullerton. I spent most of the afternoon filing and still they are sharp, but not razors. But, the action, intonation and general setup is much better on the Fullerton. It even had the quality control forms in there. Both had terrible strings. I put EB slinky's on both. But initially on the '51 I went up to 10's to try to help with staying in tune more in the first 5 frets. The nut seems much higher on the '51 and even as I'm trying to use a lighter touch and not the death grip common to acoustic hacks like me, I still have a hard time getting it to stay in tune. So the Fullerton sounds much better in that regard. Likely it's a setup issue that someone with experience could dial the '51 quickly. The tone and volume knobs on the ST3 are a little too low and rub on the guitar. Not having a pick guard makes the pickup cutouts seem unfinished by comparison. the tuners seem about the same. The bridge is better than the '51, but I have replace that on the '51. the ST3 doesn't have a locking tremolo, so from what I gather that will always lead to tuning problems? Is it best just to leave it alone and act as if it's a hardtail and not use it? Or do some work ok? Anyway, I have just been so appreciative for all the advice I've gotten here that I wanted give my impressions.

Robert
May 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
k2d2 - change the nut on the Fullerton. I did, and it stays in tune quite well now, even though I have a floating tremolo.

the1percent
May 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
At my door yesterday was the ST3 in blue reverse burst. It's funny, but when I played it, it didn't quite sound like Robert's video.

Don't "fret" (I had to), I suspect Robert's video doesn't sound like a few of us.
:p
Thanks for the input also.

k2d2
May 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Robert,
your playing and website have been an inspiration....the past few months it's been like Dylan at Monterey: I'm going electric. (my fanbase is also upset...turn that thing down!!!) It's a whole new world of guitar for me and your site and reviews really got me started and out of my acoustic rut....so thank you.
I do have a question about the nut because even more than the Fullerton, I think the '51 needs it replaced...it just seems too high. I'll probably order online and will need to be precut. Does one size fit all, or will I need to get a set of nut files (that cost more than both guitars combined!?) Any suggestions are appreciated.

Robert
May 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Get a pre-slotted Tusq nut. I think the PQ 5010-00 is the one to get. See the Tusq nuts on the Guitar Parts Resource website (http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_nutstusq.htm).

k2d2
May 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks Robert. You are right about the part # and my 2 nuts are ordered and on the way. I think you have written about replacing them. They are held in by friction and not glue?

Robert
May 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
If the nut goes in tight, then you may not need glue. On mine, there was a lot of space in the slot, so I added a little bit of glue (just a little!) so it would stay in place.

the1percent
May 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
If the nut goes in tight, then you may not need glue. On mine, there was a lot of space in the slot, so I added a little bit of glue (just a little!) so it would stay in place.

How do you remove the old nut?

k2d2
May 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
thanks again for getting back so quickly. I'll let you know how it turns out.

duhvoodooman
May 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
For anyone interested, I posted some comments & a couple of pix of my new ST4 HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3126)....

the1percent
May 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
After emailing Music123 twice, I decided to call customer service.
I explained that I bought the ST4 (and giving him the order number of course) on April 17th when the price was $59.99. I then told him that on the 30th I bought another and it was $29.99. I asked that since it was less than 45 days, could I get a credit for the $30 difference. After being on hold for maybe 3-4 minutes, he returns with great news. So you early birds need to call and get your credit. Hope this helps someone or two. :)

The crazy thing is, I think I should have gotten a credit for $27.00.

$59.99 - 6.00 (10%) = $53.99
$29.99 - 3.00 (10%) = 26.99
Actual difference = $27.00 :eek:

WackyT
May 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Just tried on my order from the 18th, and she said it was a special markdown yesterday because they're getting rid of stock, and wouldn't refund me the difference.

the1percent
May 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Just tried on my order from the 18th, and she said it was a special markdown yesterday because they're getting rid of stock, and wouldn't refund me the difference.

Now I feel bad. I think voodooman had success like I did. I'm not telling you to do this, but I have done this before.... if I dont get the answer I'm looking for, I call and try to get a different customer service rep. If it is the same one just hang up. Sorry for your bad luck, but I hope you understand it was worth a try and I hope you understand why I alerted everyone.

WackyT
May 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
No big deal, the1percent. I'm just glad that I got one great guitar for $99, and am getting another great guitar for $50; along with 2 good amps, tuners, stands, and gig bags. The customer service rep I talked with also said Fullerton is discontinuing the models they drastically cut the price on yesterday. Hopefully Fullerton come out with a similiarly good quality guitar series to replace these. I've never played an actual quality guitar like a Fender or Gibson, but I'm real happy with my Fullerton so far.

7lords
May 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
So you early birds need to call and get your credit. Hope this helps someone or two. :)

Yep, I called this morning and got credited back for the ST4 ($30) and the Fully Standard ($10 - since mine was the bstock). And like you said, it should have been $27 and $9.

tremoloman
May 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
I bought one for a friend and had it shipped to his door without his knowing. He called me and said he was estatic, but then he dropped the bomb he's a lefty! I was bummed at first, but once you reverse the strings it's not too bad. I still have to replace the nut but as an elementary test run, it's pretty cool!

I should, shouldn't I?
I know I could call and ask for a refund of $40 since I bought two for $49 back when I started this thread, but I feel bad already making out like a bandit! :)

Man... I never thought these would take off like they did here! I thought MAYBE 1 or 2 of you may buy one. Guess I was wrong!

After tearing apart the SX and Fullerton completely, I've come to the conclusions:

Necks:
Fullerton = thin, fast, sharp frets
SX = Thick, beautiful jumbo frets with no sharp edges

Pickups:
Fullerton = more modern rock sound
SX = more vintage Stratty vibe

Hardware:
Fullerton = high quality tuners, full size pots, heavy duty 5-way switch and knobs
SX = cheap tuners, cheap electronics, body not as solid as Fullerton

Overall I love them both, but I would have to say the Fullerton gets my nod as a better guitar in stock trim - even at $99.

duhvoodooman
May 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Have any of you been tracking your order status on these guitars at Music123? The ST4 I ordered on Monday still hasn't shipped, and the PayPal payment on the Aria Strat pack I ordered Tuesday didn't clear until today. Looks to me like maybe they're bogged down getting all these closeout guitar orders processed! Anybody else seeing the same thing? :confused:

Spudman
May 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
I've noticed every order takes a couple of days to get out the door. It was the same on my last couple of orders. Too bad they aren't like Same Day Music and kick it out of there pronto. You all have me anxious to get my new 'deals'.

Robert
May 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
This thread is becoming insanely long... :D

tremoloman
May 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yup... I see that also. Don't worry... they will ship! Music123 isn't the quickest shipper on the block, but for $27 w/shipping I can wait! :)

Have any of you been tracking your order status on these guitars at Music123? The ST4 I ordered on Monday still hasn't shipped, and the PayPal payment on the Aria Strat pack I ordered Tuesday didn't clear until today. Looks to me like maybe they're bogged down getting all these closeout guitar orders processed! Anybody else seeing the same thing? :confused:

jasongins
May 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
My order from Tuesday morning is still showing as "processing in warehouse" and is as yet unshipped. I am starting to wonder if they actually have the two Fat Fullys that I ordered. Hilarious name by the way, "Fat Fully." Who coined that, duhvoodooman?

TTUclint
May 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
First post here.

I just received my open box "black" ST4 that I ordered for 49.99-10%. It showed up silver but I like it. I ordered it 2 days before the big price drop. And after the drop I ordered a new black ST4 for the 29.99 that will be here next week.

The tone knob is a little loose and one of the strings has a little rust. The tremolo does not work right with the knobs but no big deal. Looks like someone had this for a while before returning it and the action is set pretty low causing some fret buzz.

I am hoping to call them up and get refunded the difference of what the open box would have cost 2 days later because of these issues.

It is a really nice sounding guitar and so far it stays in tune really well.

I am a big noob when it comes to guitars, only been playing for 3 weeks. I first bought the 45 dollar Baja package from M123.

k2d2
May 3rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
I was a little worried too, but I just got the e-mail saying the Aria strat pack has shipped and is expected to arrive Saturday in San Deigo?! I just ordered it Tuesday morning.
Does anyone have this guitar. It sounds like it gets good reviews. I'm seeing an amazing trend: I keep ordering cheaper and cheaper guitars that keep getting better and better! I'm loving the thin neck and low action of the Fullerton.
I had accidentally deleted the original order for the Aria and had called to get the invoice/tracking number this morning. After reading this thread earlier today, I asked if they had price protection. The service rep was very nice. He said yes, for 45 days and put me on hold, then credited me $20! Thus my $44 guitar is now $24. I am amazed and very grateful for the info on this site. I would have never known about this otherwise. Many,many thanks!

Spudman
May 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM
The service rep was very nice. He said yes, for 45 days and put me on hold, then credited me $20! Thus my $44 guitar is now $24. I am amazed and very grateful for the info on this site. I would have never known about this otherwise. Many,many thanks!

Since you are so thankful you can send part or all of your savings to Robert so we can keep the fret.net going.;) Ain't it great when your friends help you spend your money. That's what this forum is all about.:R

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Got the first of my Fullertons today. Wow! It Looks like Voodoo's.

http://www.thefret.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1061&d=1178123050

Pretty impressive...especially for the price.

Yes the frets have a tiny bit of sprout, the strings are crummy, the knobs are fake. They are just a shell over a plastic shaft or spacer. Still, I could take this outright now and make money playing it. A whole night of playing it might be tuff though because it feels like it's made out of cement.:eek:

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
A whole night of playing it might be tuff though because it feels like it's made out of cement.:eek:
That's what 3" padded straps are for! ;) :D

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM
That's what 3" padded straps are for! ;) :D

Oh great! Something else to buy.:mad: I guess I'm not surprised that I'm getting help in that department.:D

jasongins
May 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I received shipment confirmation on my two ST4s today. They should arrive on Wednesday May 9. Pictures to follow...

WackyT
May 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I should be getting my second Strat clone, but black, and hardshell case on Wednesday.

primemover
May 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Greetings all... thought I'd drop in for a first post here... being that you were the jokers who put me on this crazy stuff in the first place... my $72 worth of gear arrived today... I'd been wanting to get my 13 year old a guitar... the Fullerton seemed to fit the bill, but then I needed an amp... enter the Silvertone deal...

Far as I can tell, the Fullerton is plenty solid... good starter guitar... the Silvertone amp is also plenty nice as a starter amp... tuner, strap and instructional DVD included... can't beat that with a stick...

As I suspected it might, the Silvertone guitar has issues... nothing a soldering iron and a sledge-hammer can't fix though :lol: ...honestly though, I've got a soft spot in my heart for uber-crappy guitars, so I've already bonded with the piece of junk ...once I swap out the pickups for P-90s it should serve me nicely :D

anyway... cheers all...

http://www.masterthis.net/images/72dollars.jpg

Spudman
May 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Cool primemover (from the Kerry Livgren album?)

Glad you got some nice stuff for an awesome price.

primemover
May 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Cool primemover (from the Kerry Livgren album?)

Glad you got some nice stuff for an awesome price.

no... not the Kerry Livgren thing... not a bad idea though, I must say... :D

...it's more a philosophical thing

...I'm just your average ordinary guitar addict ...and though I've got a couple nice expensive american made guitars and several others which I've built, I must admit that I'm drawn to junky guitars... dunno why... just am...

for me, (and probably others), this was the deal of the century ...christmas in May...

...guitarfetish.com has been having a crazy sale as well ...but this was better

duhvoodooman
May 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Fat Fully #2 (order last Monday 4/30) is finally on the FedEx delivery truck this AM. The Aria Strat pack, however, is still going in circles in Music123's ordering system. Ordered last Tuesday 5/1, it took two days just to clear PayPal payment validation and go to the warehouse for "pick'n'ship". Then yesterday, the order status changed to "backordered", prompting me to call their C/S and ask what was going on. The gal there told me, "Oops! That's not right. I'll change that." So, now it's back to "processing in warehouse" status. She said it would ship in a day or two, but frankly, I'm not optimistic....

the1percent
May 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Fat Fully #2 (order last Monday 4/30) is finally on the FedEx delivery truck this AM. The Aria Strat pack, however, is still going in circles in Music123's ordering system. Ordered last Tuesday 5/1, it took two days just to clear PayPal payment validation and go to the warehouse for "pick'n'ship". Then yesterday, the order status changed to "backordered", prompting me to call their C/S and ask what was going on. The gal there told me, "Oops! That's not right. I'll change that." So, now it's back to "processing in warehouse" status. She said it would ship in a day or two, but frankly, I'm not optimistic....

Ordered the Aria Strat pack on the May 1st and 2 Fully Strats, 1 ST4 and 1 ST3 on April 30th.

Received ST3 on the 5th
All the others are out for delivery today. :)
Seems the Aria pack got delayed die to the barcode being unreadable.

Keep the faith, ya'll!

7lords
May 8th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Mine is out today too:

May 8, 2007 7:10 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery MADISON, WI

duhvoodooman
May 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
"Second verse, same as the first...."

I received the second Fullerton ST4 this morning and unpacked & checked it out over my lunch hour. Other than the different color (this one's black), it's essentially a twin to the first--same good neck, low action, nice overall set-up, a bit off on intonation, solid electronics, moderate fret-sprout and crappy plastic nut. $31.94 delivered. Unbelievable....

tremoloman
May 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I just got the two I ordered today... both came in excellent shape and play nicely. Frets aren't so sharp as the 1st set I got. I doubt we'll ever see such a deal again - this was the steal of the century.

For those still waiting for their Fullertons, don't fret... like a Field of Dreams... "They will come..."

Spudman
May 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I just got my second one today. All black 3 single coils. The neck is a little thinner than on the red burst one and the frets a bit sproutier. (is that a word?)
I haven't plugged it in yet but the guitar is nicely resonant.

tremoloman
May 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM
It's weird... one of my ST4's weighs almost 2x as the other one! they both sound wonderful but it's strange.

As with my other Fullertons, the whammy bar wasn't the right one as the threaded part of the arm is too short. Not going to complay as the guitar was only $24!

7lords
May 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
As I suspected it might, the Silvertone guitar has issues... nothing a soldering iron and a sledge-hammer can't fix though :lol: ...honestly though, I've got a soft spot in my heart for uber-crappy guitars, so I've already bonded with the piece of junk ...once I swap out the pickups for P-90s it should serve me nicely :D

I couldn't agree more - junky guitar but I already love the thing. Pleasantly surprised by the amp - worth the $36 by itself and MUCH better than the one that came with the Baja Pack. BTW - they have open box and b-stock Baja Packs available for less than $40 right now.
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ralpho
May 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by primemover
As I suspected it might, the Silvertone guitar has issues... nothing a soldering iron and a sledge-hammer can't fix though :lol: ...honestly though, I've got a soft spot in my heart for uber-crappy guitars, so I've already bonded with the piece of junk ...once I swap out the pickups for P-90s it should serve me nicely

I couldn't agree more - junky guitar but I already love the thing. Pleasantly surprised by the amp - worth the $36 by itself and MUCH better than the one that came with the Baja Pack. BTW - they have open box and b-stock Baja Packs available for less than $40 right now.

???

Why the universal declaration o' crappiness for the Silvertone guitar? I am but a newb in the electric world, but after really liking the Baja Strat copy I got last month, I figured this Silvertone would let me get a taste of the Les Paul style and so far I'm quite pleased at the quality, both fit-and-finish and sound. What am I missing in my cluelessness?

I also picked up a Fat Fully just cuz it was so cheap and I wanted to hit the magic free shipping point and I can't say I've yet warmed to that guitar - it weighs a ton, I haven't dared to file down the sharp fret ends yet and the sound hasn't so far done much for me.

Anyhoo, thanks to all the insightful comments here and on the various dealie sites that steered me to these great bargains in the first place!

7lords
May 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
???

Why the universal declaration o' crappiness for the Silvertone guitar? I am but a newb in the electric world, but after really liking the Baja Strat copy I got last month, I figured this Silvertone would let me get a taste of the Les Paul style and so far I'm quite pleased at the quality, both fit-and-finish and sound. What am I missing in my cluelessness?

Sorry for the $ it's a great guitar but there are some things that are poorly done. 1) the weight is almost non existent (something I don't really mind) - body could be made of balsa or pine the way it feels:) 2) the control knobs are just funny looking with the see-thru resin - and mine are not even close to being on straight. 3) the plastic 'label' with the toggle switch is plain ugly. 4) not all hardware is tightened down (ring around toggle switch, input jack hardware, etc.)

I still love it though, even with it's short comings - just like my kids :D
Played it for over an hour last night and really like the sound it produces (nice change from the Strats).

Funniest thing last night was when it was delivered, my 3 year old son said "Why are you getting all of these guitars? Are you starting a guitar collection? You're going to have to build a guitar room."

jasongins
May 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I received my two ST4s today. My coworker wanted the red burst, I kept the black. The neck is slightly bowed, and the nuts on one of the pots are loose. The knob does not seem to want to come off, though I didn't pull too hard. Do they just pull off, or do I need to take the plate off of the back to access the pots (I just need to tighten the nut that holds the pot in place). I think I'll be changing the strings right away. Still, pretty cool for $26.99.

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM
My last order, the Aria Strat Pack, shipped today! :D I had my doubts, but Music123 came through!

BTW, a coworker order one of them on my say-so, and his arrived yesterday. He brought it in to work today and I checked it out for him. Impressions:

NICE Strat copy, and well set up! The classic sunburst finish looks very good, even close up. Light weight, so God knows what the body wood is. Neck is very nice and the set-up was excellent; nice fast neck, low action and no appreciable buzz. Intonation off a bit on the low strings, but quite good overall. Tuners, switches and pots feel somewhat cheap, but not awful. Couldn't really gauge the pickups, since the only thing I had to play it through was....
Cheesy little SS amp, for sure. The clean tone is borderline acceptable, but the overdrive channel sounds like it was piped in from Hell. My advice--don't even turn the OD switch on! It's that bad....
The included tuner is quite serviceable! Heck, I'd pay $10 just for that.
Gig bag is cheap and unpadded. Will keep the dust off, but that's about it. Don't use for traveling any distance!
One of the worst straps I've ever seen. Well, what did I expect at this price?!?
Cheap cord, but worked fine. Don't use it for your Carnegie Hall gig, but OK for around the house....
Whammy bar fit fine. Truss rod and bridge height allen wrenches included. Couple of picks in there, too, but didn't try them.

Overall, I'd rate the quality of the guitar a click below the Fullerton ST4's I got. Better than the Squier Affinity Strats I've played, though! But the other stuff in the package pushes the overall value as good or better than the Fully's. This would make a fabulous gift for a kid as a starter guitar. You wouldn't have to worry about giving him/her a POS guitar, because the Aria is miles better than that.

WackyT
May 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Got my black lefty Fullerton strat clone pack today. She feels about the same as my sunburst one. Won't get time to set her up until this weekend. Should be getting my Fullerton hard case tomorrow.

Spudman
May 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Funny thing... I ordered 4 guitars at the same time and they are all showing up individually days apart. Strange :confused:

The black ST3 sounds and plays better than my satin SSH Squier.

I think the ST4 will be a very nice guitar with different pickups, and I have plenty sitting around to try out. It's just going to take a while before I get around to it. The stock pickups aren't the worst in the world and they have their own unique sound, but I think this guitar has a lot more potential.

These Fullertons were certainly a bargain. Thanks to all of you fretters who ordered early and alerted us to them.:D For the price of a tank of gas I now have 3 more nice electric guitars. Just what I needed.:rolleyes:

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
The Fullerton SSS electric guitar starter pack I bought for my son's birthday this fall came today. I haven't plugged it in or anything, but what an awesome kit for the price! The guitar is resonant, set up better than my ST4 came (nice action, seems nice and straight), and with very little fret sprout at all. I might just smooth it up a little with steel wool or a little light sandpaper just to make it baby smooth for him. The neck looks nice and straight, and I like the headstock better on this one. It is a black model with a 3ply white pickguard and the standard 3 strat control knobs. The pickguard is really a nice one and much better than I expected. I expected it to be a rough single ply. Right on!! :DR :R :D I am really excited for him. It will be hard for me to have to keep it from him til his birthday, but that was the family agreement. I will plug it all in and test it when I have time. I am curious how the little fullerton SS amp is and compares the the Aria branded one DVM received. Probably the same with a different tag on it. Very pleased with the kit for the price, even though I paid the $59.99 price as they were out of the $29.99 deals. :)

EDIT: I now tuned and hooked up the guitar to the included little amp with the cheap little cable. The little amp doesn't sound to bad clean at house level volumes. It has a dial adjustable gain channel that sounds decent with the gain set low, but like DVM's experience, not good on first impressions when turned up at all. Has a headphone jack and all. Should work great for my son's first electric. The single coil pups sound really pretty good! The picks that were included say Aria on them. Anyway, good score for a cool B-day present!

the1percent
May 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Two Strat copies (red and blue), ST3, ST4, and Aria strat pack all delivered Tuesday. Wife is trippin'. I just told her what I always tell her, "I'll sell them on Ebay". Of course like all the other things I've bought, they will sit in my room until I gift them out. :P

duhvoodooman
May 11th, 2007, 08:37 AM
This is kind of funny....

Checked the FedEx tracking site this morning, and the Aria Strat Pack that I ordered from Music123 (location: South Bend, IN) on May 1 was in Chicago as of 5:42 AM today. So, in ten days, the guitar has moved 75 miles farther away. I must concluded that the intention here is to ship it to NY by circumnavigating the globe in a westward direction. Since it is moving at an average speed of 7.5 miles per day, at its current speed and heading, I should receive it in late Feb. 2016. Maybe I should have arranged to drive out to Indiana and pick it up. Then again, the shipping charge was only $4.95, which is really low. But I guess I understand why now....

Seriously, it's supposed to be delivered by next Tuesday, which will be 2 weeks from the actual order. Glad I wasn't counting on a speedy delivery! :eek: Guess I can afford to be patient though, at the pittance I paid for it! :D

Big K
May 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
buddy of mine stopped over and had to have my silver one (just when I had the neck just right) so I'm now back to a single red reverse burst fattie..... guess I'll just have to stand by for the next reported killer deal....

Isopeanut
May 11th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Opposite experience from you DVM, I finally got a tracking number on the 9th for the Aria pack, FedEx showed the estimated delivery date for the 15th, and not more than 5 minutes ago, it shows up at my door. 2 days from Indiana to Oregon, and no, I didn't spring for faster shipping. Go figure. Incidentally, the woman delivering it told me that this is at least the 20th Aria pack she has delivered in the last 2 days. Everyone loves a deal eh?

duhvoodooman
May 11th, 2007, 03:08 PM
....Incidentally, the woman delivering it told me that this is at least the 20th Aria pack she has delivered in the last 2 days. Everyone loves a deal eh?
That may be exactly why some of these orders are taking so long to get out the door there @ M123. They must have sold a boatload of these cheapo guitars on that close-out deal!

Spudman
May 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I just read somewhere that Music123 was just bought out by another company. That may explain the shipping strangeness and the product dump.

Big K
May 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
finally got around to wiring up the GFS Overwounds in the neck & mid positions and a 14k bucker in the bridge.. really smoothed up the harshness i heard in the stockers.. had to scratch my head awhile on the 5-way until recalling T-mans comment on it looking like the mega-switch from Stew Mac. Their wiring diagram matches the placement on the Fullerton ST-4, it doesn't quite function like the Stew-Mac but other than that the solder points are as follows:

Humbucker/single-coil/single-coil

Point # Wire assignment
1 middle pickup hot wire
2 neck pickup hot wire
3 output to volume pot
4 ground to volume pot
5 empty
6 bridge pickup coil tap (just left empty)
7 bridge pickup hot wire

duhvoodooman
May 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Well, the Aria Strat Pack finally showed up today, exactly 2 weeks after I ordered it. I unpacked it just enough to check out the guitar itself. Very similar to the one belonging to my coworker that I described HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=31526&postcount=176). Intonation is off quite a bit on a couple of strings, but otherwise well set up with no noticeable fret buzz and a nice low action. The neck is nice and straight with just a bit of fret sprout. This time, since I was at home during lunch, I was able to plug it into my Vox AD30VT and checked out the tone of the pickups. Nothing to rave about, but really not bad at all, and with a very typical Strat tone. Honestly, I don't know how they can put out a guitar of this quality for $100, much less the $30 I paid for it along with a cheap SS amp, gig bag, cord, strap and a couple of picks. This one will go to my son as a Confirmation present--he's being confirmed this weekend. While he didn't play that nice Squier Black & Chrome Tele hardly at all, for $30, it's no big deal if he doesn't touch this one. I know somebody who will....

Isopeanut
May 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
The ST4 is back (sorta) on the sister site of Music123, WWBW, they have the ST4 for 59.99 - not the super duper closeout price like the last go round, but for the extra 30 bucks, you get a double locking floyd. Find it here http://www.wwbw.com/Fullerton-ST4-double-single-single--hum----Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i291060.music

marnold
May 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
The ST4 is back (sorta) on the sister site of Music123, WWBW, they have the ST4 for 59.99 - not the super duper closeout price like the last go round, but for the extra 30 bucks, you get a double locking floyd. Find it here http://www.wwbw.com/Fullerton-ST4-double-single-single--hum----Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-(Closeout)-i291060.music
DANG! You guys are going to get me divorced . . .

guitartist
May 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM

With as much I've been spending lately, if my wife hadn't divorced me a long time ago, she sure would be now!

I just ordered an ST4...after going back and reading this entire thread, I wound up ordering a Standard also. Deals this good are too good to pass up.

I had been thinking about ordering an SX strat for a while, glad I held off.

...I was going to either order some GFS pups or a Yamaha DD55 digital percussion unit this week, guess that plan's out the window now!

primemover
May 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM

HAR! ...actually I'm compensating for all the gear I lost while I was married

...sometimes divorce can be a good thing :D

anyway... There's back bow in the little Silvertone guitar which can't be fixed through truss rod adjustment... but again, I just don't view it as a big deal... the amp/tuner/strap/DVD/guitar body that came in that pack was EASILY worth more than $39... the amp is actually rather impressive... so it's all good...

I gotta say, the grain and the cherry-burst on the Silvertone body is totally beautiful... I'm gonna put a different neck on it and upgrade all the hardware... at some point, it will be a great little guitar...

duhvoodooman
May 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Guess I was lucky, 'cuz I've read about quite a few neck problems on these closeout guitars. I got two Fullerton ST4's and one Aria Strat knockoff, and the neck is straight as a string on all of 'em! :D

7lords
May 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
In case anyone is still in need of one of the Standard Body Fullertons, they are still available - just not if you browse the guitars or search by name. If you search by product #, they still show up and are in stock - just had a black and red delivered here to work for 2 co-workers. They are still available in black and blue.

Black (http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=228782)
Blue (http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=228781)

chibimike
May 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
If anyone was wondering about the ST-4 with floyd rose tremolo, I got one. The FR seams to be identical to the Gotoh version, which gets reasonably positive reviews. Took about 5 minutes total time to get it in tune the first time. Has stayed in tune through my attempts at stressing it.

The neck is typical ST-4, straight but will need some serious filing or dremeling.

Big K
May 24th, 2007, 05:48 PM
went for a little different look on my red-reverse burst

duhvoodooman
May 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I like!! :DR

primemover
May 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Just a quick follow up on my Silvertone with the bad neck bow which was uncurable with a truss rod adjustment... under normal circumstance the guitar would have gone right back, but I figured that for the $39.99 I spent, no foul... the amp/body/tuner were easily worth twice the total price... so... I found an article describing how to heat the neck with a clothes iron to soften the glue holding the fretboard in place... then, through the use of clamps the slight repositioning of the fretboard would cure the bow...

Well... I tried it last night... heated the neck up real good and then clamped it to a chunk of 2X4 so that it was slightly past flat... then I let it sit overnight... after work today I unclamped it, put it back on the body and voila! ...I'll be damned if it's not completely fixed... the bow which caused it to be completely unplayable is now gone...it now plays like butter... YeeHaw!!

...just thought I'd share

WackyT
May 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Here's my Fully Strat Sunburst w/ GFS overwound p'ups, Fender Champion 30 Reverb amp, and Behringer OD100 & NR100 pedals.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/522681173_63003e9970_o.jpg

sunvalleylaw
May 31st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Looking good there WackyT!

ted s
May 31st, 2007, 09:37 AM
Nice WackyT !

Big K
May 31st, 2007, 09:52 AM
I like the Tuxedo contrasting look...... good job...

WackyT
May 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys! It's meager, but I like the sound. The Fender sounds a lot better than the little practice amp that came with the Fullerton pack. I'm using the eMedia Guitar Methods Ver. 2 CD to learn by.

I like that look also, Big K. :)

dyle
June 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I got the standard strat kit as a gift and loving it! Since then, I've purchased a Squire '51 and looking to mod both..

Anyway, any of you try different pickguards for the Fullerton Strat? Is it the same size as the ones you can buy at GFS or other sites?

Spudman
June 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I got the standard strat kit as a gift and loving it! Since then, I've purchased a Squire '51 and looking to mod both..

Anyway, any of you try different pickguards for the Fullerton Strat? Is it the same size as the ones you can buy at GFS or other sites?

I dunno. They look pretty unique. I haven't ever seen an aftermarket pickguard shaped like it. I'm not saying that there aren't any. I've just never seen one. Some folks will custom cut one for you though.

dyle
June 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Now that you mentioned it, the pick guards aren't similar at all! I wanted a black one with the black fullerton strat and aged plastic pickups and knobs. I think that would have looked cool. Maybe i'll go a different route now.

In the meantime, I'm just going to continue playing with it since it is a guitar after all :p

sunvalleylaw
June 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I was going to do a tracing of the PG on my son's SSS to try to adapt so I could add one to my ST4 which does not have one. I will have to place the holes for the controls differently, etc. Then I was going to see about ordering one, or the material to make one.

Big K
June 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM
anyone try a stock "Strat" replacement and see how it fits or what would need to be cut down to make it work?

Spudman
August 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Saw some ST 3's on the bay going for $30. Great value! Ten for the guitar and 20 for shipping.

http://search.ebay.com/jet-guitars_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3

pes_laul
August 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM
i played one of those the other day and i was amazed on what it played like though since i only own one guitar myself i would probaly buy something a little more solid

ibanez_freak36
August 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks Tremoloman, I may try it out you know me not a Strat Fan in general but at that price WOW. I also have a fellow co worker who is interested in this site. Call my wife and I when you can.

The Freak..............................

deevo117
December 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead,

But the Fullerton ST3 was my first guitar, and it brought me into the world of guitars. Overall I think it was the perfect starter instrument and the only problem I have noticed overtime is feedback issues. Now I have been playing for around six months and I'm starting to develop my own style. :rockon:

After I compared this to my friends' guitars, I concluded that this is probably the best cheap Spin Off strat you can buy. It's better than most Squier strats by far.

I'm also just wondering if anyone has customized theirs with any particular pickups?

Can't wait till I get my second guitar...

Spudman
December 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I agree with you deevo. Mine required getting rid of some fret sprout but otherwise are a well made (in the Aria factory) guitar. I haven't felt the need to replace anything on them and just take them for how they are with their own unique sound.
The deal was just too good to pass up and for the price are an amazingly good deal.

jasongins
December 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Agreed. Aside from having to hand file the fret ends, my ST4 is well very made. I am in a state of denial about this, but deep down I know that its build quality is actually better than my Squier '51 and is close to my MIM Strat. I've thought about modding it, but I think the beauty of it is how good it is for the rediculous $26.99 I paid, so I've decided to leave it alone. If only it were a little more pleasing to the eye. If you told me I could only keep $100 worth of gear and the rest I had to give up, I'd keep my Fullerton ST4, my Line6 Toneport GX, and a pick and I'd be thrilled.

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I paid, so I've decided to leave it alone. If only it were a little more pleasing to the eye.

Take it apart and throw some lighter fluid on the body and let her burn. Voila, instant relic.

deevo117
December 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Snap, I'm loving this forum already!

Big K
December 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
After I compared this to my friends' guitars, I concluded that this is probably the best cheap Spin Off strat you can buy. It's better than most Squier strats by far.

I'm also just wondering if anyone has customized theirs with any particular pickups?

installed GFS Overwounds in the neck & Middle positions and swapped a 14k no-name humbucker in the bridge....

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 12:29 PM
installed GFS Overwounds in the neck & Middle positions and swapped a 14k no-name humbucker in the bridge....

And..........:confused:

Big K
December 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
And..........:confused:

I like the way it sounds with the replacement pickups:confused:

Spudman
December 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I like the way it sounds with the replacement pickups:confused:
And how is the sound different from the stock pickups?

Big K
December 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The neck and middle replacement single coils have more snap/bite than the Fullerton stockers when alone and a nice quack when in position 4, well worth the <$20 bucks from G-Fetish, and as an added (subjective) bonus, I like the contrast of white covers/knobs against the dark background.

deevo117
December 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
That Looks Awesome Big K!

Yeah I've been looking at GFS pickups myself they seem really great for the buck.

Did you install those yourselves?

Big K
December 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
That Looks Awesome Big K!

Yeah I've been looking at GFS pickups myself they seem really great for the buck.

Did you install those yourselves?

I think the branded GFS pickups are as fine to my old ears as any other name brand I've installed in the past. The quality of the cheapie closeouts were a somewhat unexpected great suprise. Yes, I have done all my own guitar mods so far: pickups, pots, switches, shielding, re-wiring, tuning keys and a re-fret.....

sunvalleylaw
October 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
So my son and I shared some time tonight playing on the things he is practicing and he sounds really good on his ST-3 (Santa got it for him as part of the Strat pack with a cheap amp for like $50 something) through his new Peavey Vyper on the XXX model. He loves the Rect. (rectifier) model too, and I really love the Plexi, among others. What a great beginner setup! I am kinda sad I sold my Fully now. But Player will be happy. Anyway, these are good guitars and it is amazing what a guitar costing less than $50 through a $200 Peavey Vypyr modeling amph can do. Both are great little tools.