PDA

View Full Version : Jam all month

Robert
April 5th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Our band is hosting a local open mic night at the Irish pub. Last night was the first one. Man, my Hellhound sounds soooo good with the Maxon SD-9! Even non-players were complimenting me on my tone! :DR

The other essential pedal is my 19 Sixty 3 boost pedal - I use it all the time on clean sounds and it does wonders to liven up my amp.

I tried my fuzz pedal last night, but it's hard to use effectively and it's noisy with other pedals. I am not sure I can use it much live.

Anyway, you guys come over to the pub and jam with me!

t_ross33
April 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
That's cool, Robert. Just be ready for anything, and I do mean anything!

We hosted an open jam last summer and had a banjo player sit in. Not a cool bluegrass style player, either. Kinda Lawrence Welk plunkity plunk plunk plectrum style :confused: He tried to join in later that night when we were doing our full-on bar set... yeah, that didn't work out so good :D

We also had a Canadian Idol hopeful, complete with her own backing tracks on CD and an official Canadian Idol T-shirt! In case we didn't take her seriously :confused: She wasn't a bad singer, I'm just not sure who she was auditioning for :D

Have fun.

Spudman
April 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
What? You are inviting me to an Irish Pub...to jam? Somethings wrong here. You do know I'm Irish, right? You think I'd even remotely be interested in playing music? More like fighting and drinking.:D

I have participated in so many open mics as backup for the hosts that I can play any song as badly as called for. :D tee hee

I envy the fact that you are playing and also get to challenge yourself. I would come by and sit in if I could. The stuff I said earlier I didn't really mean...sort of.:)

warren0728
April 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
That's cool, Robert. Just be ready for anything, and I do mean anything!
that's for sure....a friend of mine plays in a blues band and every once in awhile this guy comes in with his trombone to sit in for a couple of songs. He is a really nice old guy (70?) so they let him!

ww

Spudman
April 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I remember a time when I went out to the bar to hear a fairly well known national blues player. He had been to town many times before and had quite a following so he packed the club. He was wearing a wireless transmitter and came out into the audience. When he got to where I was sitting I motioned that I'd like to play his guitar at which point he took it off and handed it to me. Off I went. The tune was in C and I let her rip. Needless to say the band was a bit surprised as was the star of the show. I'm sure they were thinking that a train wreck was coming. We grooved hard for a while before I handed the guitar back.

When this happened I had been off the road for around 3 years and had not been playing in a band for that length of time. It sure felt good to have a band cooking behind me again. So it was kind of like an open mic, but not really.

What I'm getting at is there is going to be someone like me that will show up one night and you will totally make their whole year by letting them sit in and play with you, and that is a very good thing.

warren0728
April 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
He was wearing a wireless transmitter and came out into the audience.
sounds like buddy guy!

ww

t_ross33
April 6th, 2007, 11:35 PM
What I'm getting at is there is going to be someone like me that will show up one night and you will totally make their whole year by letting them sit in and play with you, and that is a very good thing.

Well said, my friend. I hope I didn't come across as being too "uppity" in my previous post.

A buddy of ours came on stage to play with us a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time he had ever been in front of an audience. He had a big Cheshire Cat grin going for the rest of the night :D Everyone has an inner Rock Star :R

Robert
April 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
The jam was on last night again. We have 2 more Wednesdays to host the jam. This time more people came up, it was fun. I think we were all tired though, we didn't quite the "fire" we had last week.

This time I cranked up the volume all the way on my Hellhound amp and kept the gain really low to control the overall volume. That way I get a very clean, kinda Fenderish tone.

Robert
April 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Well, tonight is the last time of the four times we've been scheduled to host the jam at the pub (O'Shea's). Hope to see a lot of people come out.

I replaced the nut on both my Squier Tele and my Fullerton, so I'll bring both tonight. They will be happy to have company by the legendary Zonkin' Yellow Screamer! :)

I have new strings on both guitar and they are delightful to play now. I polished the frets on the Fullerton too.

duhvoodooman
April 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
So the ZYS steps out for the night, huh? COOL!!! :cool: :DR :cool:

Robert
April 26th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ya, the new friend ZYS had a good time last night. Screamed on more than one occasion, and the crowd clapped their hands in support!

It sounded good. I get some really nice blues tones with the ZYS through my Hellhound.