PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk cars...

Katastrophe
April 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It's time for a car change... If got the list of potential rides narrowed down to two: Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat. The Accord would be a V6 model, and the Passat the Wolfsburg Edition with the base turbo 4 cyl.

I test drove both today, and both had about the same number of pros/cons.

If you had to make the choice between the two, what would it be? Thoughts?

sunvalleylaw
April 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
For me, I would go with the Passat, but mostly because of the seating. A european, supportive, firm seat fits my body and treats my sciatic nerve better than the lower japanese seats, supportive though they may be. Just a fit thing. Probably, the gas and go reliability factor weighs toward the accord. But if I were going to be in it every day, I would want the one that is more comfortable for me.

SuperSwede
April 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
My father-in-law has the Accord Tourer and its awesome. Honda builds very reliable cars, and their engines are top notch. Volkswagen makes really good cars too. Might I even recommend a stop at your local Peageot dealer? ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM
My father-in-law has the Accord Tourer and its awesome. Honda builds very reliable cars, and their engines are top notch. Volkswagen makes really good cars too. Might I even recommend a stop at your local Peageot dealer? ;)

P.S. One we are looking at for the future is either the VW jetta TDI, or equivalent Passat. I believe both come in sport wagon styles and the turbo diesel option is great because we can get biodiesel around here, have great mileage, and cut down on consumption of the dino juice. A couple of friends have purchased relatively new (03 and forward) Jetta TDI wagons, which are both decked out beautifully, are very comfortable, and seem to perform very well for small family trucksters. Have to think the sport wagon feature would be useful for guitars and amps too. :DR

ShortBuSX
April 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM
If they are dead even, Id get the one that gets the best mpg.

But personally, Id buy the Accord for its reliability...Im not convenced that Honda is as reliable as they used to be, but the Accord is still very much so.

VW/Audi have had issues in the past, mostly with inferior Bosch parts that are costly to diagnose as well as replace. And for me I wouldnt buy one because its too far for me to go for service, 2 dealers, both an hour away.

Wolfsburgs are nice but Id get the Accord.

PS I cant recall what motor, but I do recall VW having a few sludgers in the line up...Id consult Bobistheoilguy to find out if that Passat is one of them. I wanna say its the 1.8T, but I could be wrong.

ShortBuSX
April 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Just did a google search "VW sludger"....several forum links pop up, read as many as you can...but the concensus is:

The VW 1.8 turbo engine is a known sludger.

AND thats the Passat...unless theyve done a redesign *shrug*

warren0728
April 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM
i love hondas...i have a 94 honda civic with 198,000 miles on it and it runs like a top!

Doesn't burn any oil and gets 27-28 mpg. I'd go with the honda.

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
April 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Agree on Honda's reliability , but the Volks has superior build quality , also if i had to choose one based on saftey and ability to take a serious hit in an accident it would be the Volks , Hondas fold up like a cheap suit in front or rear collisions as do most asian autos ..

Lev
April 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I bought a 6 month old Passat about two months ago and I love it. The only thing that bothers me is that the sound from the stereo aint that great.

pie_man_25
April 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
yeah, I don't know much about cars, but I do know VW makes good ones, but like I said, I don't know much about cars, unlike most guys.

kerc
April 13th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Have you checked out the latest Toyota Camry? I think it looks pretty nice, and it's a Toyota, so you'll drive it 'til you're sick of it a couple of ice ages later.

http://www.itnetwerk.com/photography/albums/userpics/10019/Toyota%20Camry.jpg

I'm a Toyota guy, this is my daily driver, a 2006 Scion tC :D

http://cyberjammin.net/uploads/Images/kerc_scion_tc_1.jpg
http://cyberjammin.net/uploads/Images/kerc_scion_tc_2.jpg