PDA

View Full Version : Crate RFX120

Duff
April 7th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Does anyone use this amp. It's about four fifty, and you can get a lot of other amps for the price.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and their thoughts on it. Sure is a nice looking thing.

TS808
April 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I owned the VTX 212 which is basically the same amp, only it was all black (I've owned WAY too many amps over the years). The one you're asking about is the same amp, only available in a different color and sold exclusively by guitar center and musicians friend. I wound up selling it, mainly because it was more amp than I needed, but here's my experience with it:

The cleans are awesome, and you get a very warm sound from this amp. I was impressed how warm this amp sounded for a solid state. Very full, with a great bottom end, excellent mids, and a nice top end sparkle. The effects are very good on the amp, and you can program an effect for each channel. The "shape" control on the lead channel really allows you alot of tonal flexibility...you can get everything from a nice fat sound full of mids, or if you want a good metal tone, it's there too. It's a heavy, well-built amp, and the 2 12's really project. You can program the amp to not have any effects on some of the channels (it's a 3-channel amp).

Overall, I'd say it's a good, solid buy.

Danzego
April 7th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I didn't own it, but I have played that model for a bit and I wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it's a decent sounding amp and I didn't completely DISlike it, but like you said, you can get a lot of other amps for that price.

Matter of fact, out of three amps that I've played at Guitar Center in the last few months, one of them I now own (Vox AD50VT), one of them I definitely intend to own (Fender Blues Junior) and one of them I thought about (the Crate), but fell in love with the other two not long after plugging into them and realized I didn't care for the Crate all that much.

Point is, especially for a "small chunk of change" like that, you're going to want to try a few amps and see what you're looking for, what else there is, and how they sound to you. :)

TS808
April 7th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I didn't own it, but I have played that model for a bit and I wasn't all that impressed. I mean, it's a decent sounding amp and I didn't completely DISlike it, but like you said, you can get a lot of other amps for that price.

Matter of fact, out of three amps that I've played at Guitar Center in the last few months, one of them I now own (Vox AD50VT), one of them I definitely intend to own (Fender Blues Junior) and one of them I thought about (the Crate), but fell in love with the other two not long after plugging into them and realized I didn't care for the Crate all that much.

Point is, especially for a "small chunk of change" like that, you're going to want to try a few amps and see what you're looking for, what else there is, and how they sound to you. :)

This is a good point, especially if you're looking for dual 12's. Vox just came out with the AD50VT 2x12 amp which would give you effects, amp models, and more tube-like tone. ;)

Duff
April 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I notice that you both use vox amps. I am seriously considering the Ad60vtx and like the new two speaker 50vt.

I really like the VOX look and liked the Ad60 every time I tried it out. But I'm still checking out other amps. Liked the Ac15cc1, but the Ad60vtx has that model pretty well pegged, I would suppose. I also liked the Fender Hot rod deluxe. The VOX probably has that pegged pretty well too.

How has your Vox been as far as dependability goes? Do you like it? Those are awesome amps. I don't even mind the chrome front. Anyway you could just paint it black or even blue.

Danzego
April 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I haven't had any problems with my Vox other than a power jack I'd like to tighten up a bit, but then I haven't exactly put it through its paces like I have other amps. I don't gig anymore and I don't play it regularly since I try to keep things quiet since the wife and I live with her parents while I'm in college (even though they don't mind if I give it some volume; I'm just like that, I guess).

I was actually on tap to get an AD30VT and probably would be better served with that given my situation, but I ended up with the 50 after catching a good deal on it- I got it for ten bucks more than I was going to pay for a 30. I couldn't pass that up, especially since I would like to play with a band again at some point and the 30 wouldn't cut it. :)

TS808
April 8th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I notice that you both use vox amps. I am seriously considering the Ad60vtx and like the new two speaker 50vt.

I really like the VOX look and liked the Ad60 every time I tried it out. But I'm still checking out other amps. Liked the Ac15cc1, but the Ad60vtx has that model pretty well pegged, I would suppose. I also liked the Fender Hot rod deluxe. The VOX probably has that pegged pretty well too.

How has your Vox been as far as dependability goes? Do you like it? Those are awesome amps. I don't even mind the chrome front. Anyway you could just paint it black or even blue.

The AD60VTH (head) is probably one of, if not THE coolest amp I've ever owned. It's definitely a keeper. I've A/B'd it with my Vox AC15CC and it pretty much nails the tone; in fact, I actually like the tones I get from the Valvetronix BETTER. Honestly, the differences are so subtle between the Valvetronix and other tube amps, I like the Valvetronix...more options, more models..definitely not a one trick pony. No problems at all with the AD60VTH and I had an AD100VT which I thought didn't sound as good. The AD50VT though with the 2 x 12 cab (which is a little smaller than the AD100VT) probably has more sparkle to it...I thought the AD100VT had a "blanket effect" to it..it always sounded "muffled" and a little muddy for me, even if I raised it on an amp stand.