PDA

View Full Version : Tech 21 - Trademark 10/30

SuperSwede
April 8th, 2007, 04:33 AM
I´m interested in a used Trademark 10 amp. I love the sound from the Sansamp GT-2 and this small combo has one built in. Has anyone here ever played one?

abraxas
April 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I´m interested in a used Trademark 10 amp. I love the sound from the Sansamp GT-2 and this small combo has one built in. Has anyone here ever played one?

I have one and I love it! Great tones to be had from such a small and inexpensive amp!

Go for it! :DR

SuperSwede
April 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I love that fat analogue sound too, and if it sounds similar to the GT2 (which it is based upon) it would suit me perfectly. Nothing like 10 watts of pure solid state power, right? ;)
I would use it as a direct recording device, do you have any experience with this?

abraxas
April 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I love that fat analogue sound too, and if it sounds similar to the GT2 (which it is based upon) it would suit me perfectly. Nothing like 10 watts of pure solid state power, right? ;)
I would use it as a direct recording device, do you have any experience with this?

Yes, in fact I've used the TM10 via it's XLR output --> preamp --> soundcard. It sounds very cool. The preamp is not strictly needed, just to add a little flavor.

As for the volume, just you know, you'll be surprised if you drive a 4*12 cabinet from then TM10. ;)

SuperSwede
April 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Yes, in fact I've used the TM10 via it's XLR output --> preamp --> soundcard. It sounds very cool. The preamp is not strictly needed, just to add a little flavor.

As for the volume, just you know, you'll be surprised if you drive a 4*12 cabinet from then TM10. ;)

Yeah, it has a 8 ohm speaker out so it should get along well with most ext cabinets. Could you please record something the the TM10 (preferably without the preamp) ?

*edit* This is the amp if anyone else are interested:
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/amps/TECH%2021/480205.jpg

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
That looks really cool. I would be interested in it to compare to the Vox AD series for use as a second travel around/recording amp.

abraxas
April 10th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Could you please record something the the TM10 (preferably without the preamp) ?

I shall try to record something this week; I already have a recording (with my Squier '51) it's too poor (on playing!), but if you insist I can post it here. ;)

Don't be bothered about the preamps, unfortunately the only XLR inputs on my soundcard are preamp driven, but I don't think it will make any difference if you have proper "Line In" inputs on your soundcard.

abraxas
April 10th, 2007, 03:46 AM
That looks really cool. I would be interested in it to compare to the Vox AD series for use as a second travel around/recording amp.

Keep in mind that the TM10 is not in production anymore. Only the 30 watt model is.

I had a AD30VT and replaced it with the TM10. The Vox is a modelling amp, the Tech21... well, really isn't. I just has (analog driven) "flavors" you can choose from and tweak. It is also extremely responsive to tone control tweaking, so the tones you can get from it are literally endless.

SuperSwede
April 10th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Please post your clip Abraxas! :)

The Sansamp (which also is true for the trademark amps) is based around F.E.T transistor technology. I have yet to try out the Trademark amps, but the GT2 which the TM10 is based upon is warm and responsive, much like a quality tube amp. Many pro guitar players use Tech 21 /Sansamp products.
I may still go for a Sansamp GT-2 instead, but I am seriously considering the TM10 instead because it has accutronix reverb, effect loop and looks fantastic!

dougb415
April 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Heck, you'd be surprised at how loud that amp can go just by itself!

abraxas
May 4th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I finally recorded something using only the ΤΜ10. I believe the backing track shall remind you of something ;)

Here is the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/ae1h2m7o13

It is a quick improvisation done with 3 different settings on the TM10, representing "Fenderish" and "Marshallish" tones (I hate having to refer to "modelling" in this context).

The setup was TM10 --> via XLR output --> RME Fireface 400 (through one it's preamps) --> Ableton Live 5.2.2

I used my Tele and played with pickup selections quite a bit.

No effects were used while recording, a stereo delay was added afterwards, as well as some chorus at a certain point (it is obvious where!).

Since the FF400 preamps are very transparent, what was recorded was very very close to what the TM10 actually outputed. If I had more time to setup I'd simultaneously record a mic'ed channel, sorry, next time... :(

Tell me what you think and PLEASE be gentle about my awfull playing. :o

elavd
May 4th, 2007, 04:36 AM
As far as I can tell by listening from the mini speakers of my office PC, you have done AWESOME job there, abraxas!!!

Amazing tones!!! I couldn't believe that this little amp can produce all these tones!!!

Also I must tell you that your Tele also ROCKS!!!!!!

I liked very much the Andy-Summers-like tones with the chorus!!! ;)

As far as your playing is concerned, you must read the "Why we apologize" thread and just STOP APOLOGIZING!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

SuperSwede
May 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the clip Abraxas! That TM10 sounds fantastic, proper Sansamp tones!
You play really good, I especially liked the (california setting?) distorted ending. Very cool, I think that I have to get one myself!

abraxas
May 4th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys!

SuperSwede, I used the "middle" (Marshall style) voicings for this one. What you get with the TM10, in addition to the Sansamp controls, is a proper Gain stack and the (true spring) reverb.

Robert
May 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hmm, who made that awful backing track? ;)

Abraxas, nice tones and playing! I too loved that Marshall tone at the end. It rocks! :)