PDA

View Full Version : Warren Haynes & a little slide guitar

Big K
April 8th, 2007, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWoUfd6dgs

Leonidas
April 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
He's one awesome blues player. Thats actually from a DVD called "Warren Haynes: Electric Blues and Slide Guitar." Pretty good resource! He's one of my favorites.

jpfeifer
April 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks, I needed that!

What a great tone, and great playing.
I've been working on my slide playing as of late and it really helps to see someone playing so well to get more ideas on phrasing, tone, etc.

The most difficult thing that I'm learning about slide playing (other than having no frets to keep you in tune) is that you have to get really good with string dampening on your right hand, which is why so many people get rid of the pick when they're playing slide. I really like the tone that Warren Haynes is getting on his guitar in this clip. It sounds a lot like Derrek Trucks's tone. He makes it look so easy, ... it is not!!!

I read an old GP interview with Greg Alman where he talks about getting into slide playing. He was saying that the guys in the band hated his slide playing when he first started doing it, because he didn't have his tone and intonation together etc. He wood-shedded on it until he got his slide playing together through hours of practice per day, and basically re-wrote the book on this style of playing. Everyone else who followed Greg Alman was still trying to capture that sound that he defined.

Thanks for sharing this!
-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
That's pretty cool. Makes me want to learn a little slide.