PDA

View Full Version : Guitar synths?

Robert
April 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Anyone tried any guitar synths? I tried a Roland GR-something a couple of years ago, and I was impressed.

I always wanted a guitar synth since I can't play keyboards. Guitar synths used to be very expensive, but they have come down in price. A Roland GR-20 is under 500 bucks.

jpfeifer
April 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I've always wanted to have a guitar synth for the same reasons, just to use it to control other midi sound modules instead of using a keyboard.

I haven't tried any guitar synths lately, but I've been interested in getting a midi-equipped guitar sometime.

-- Jim

SuperSwede
April 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I had a early hexaphonic pickup and trigger before, but the trigger time was really bad. I tried the Roland Ready strat with the GR-something a year ago and there was almost no trigger latency.

abraxas
April 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I've played a Brian Moore midi guitar a while ago. It is certainly most impressive and, personally, I would like to have something of that kind for layering certain synth parts; although I'm pretty comfortable with keyboards.

I believe the best part is doing things in a "guitaristic" (sic!) way, instead of the usual keyboard mentality. Playing with the attack and dynamics of the instrument to create a completely new way of voicing specific sounds.