PDA

View Full Version : Old Robin Trower stuff....

duhvoodooman
April 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
For whatever reason, back in the mid-70's when Robin Trower's trio was popular, I really never listened to him much. Sure, I heard the occasional Trower tune, but really didn't pay all that much attention. Anyway, I decided to pick up a CD I came across at Amazon.com which contained what are probably his two best-known works, Twice Removed from Yesterday and Bridge of Sighs. I'm about two-thirds of the way through it at this point, and just wanted to post a couple of initial impressions for Fretter comment/reaction.

Undoubtedly, he's a gifted guitarist and I'm enjoying most of what I hear. I definitely understand the "Hendrix-wannabe" tag that's been hung on him, though I'm not sure that's a bad thing! You could hardly pick a better influence to emulate! He clearly doesn't have Hendrix's stylistic range, but what he does, he does well. I can see where the heavily Univibed Strat tone could get a little ponderous and overbearing after a while, but it's still fairly new to me at this point.

The really big surprise to me at this point is the amazing vocal ability of James Dewar, his bassist. Man, can that boy sing! Reminds me a lot of Paul Rodgers, but maybe even better! A very rich and soulful voice. I don't understand why this guy never caught on as a major artist in his own right.

So what do you long-time Trower fans (or detractors) have to say?

M29
April 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Hello duhvoodooman,

I have been listening to Robin Trower a lot lately. Like you I did not get into his music a whole lot years ago but lately I have been checking out some of his youtube vids and he still plays great. I am sure glad guitarists like Trower carried on the Hendrix vibe, I just wish I could learn some of it:D

M29

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I am sure glad guitarists like Trower carried on the Hendrix vibe, I just wish I could learn some of it
Well, get yourself a $25 Danelectro Chicken Salad vibrato pedal and run it along with an overdrive pedal between a Strat and your Vox set on the UK '70's amp model, and you'll get very close to the Trower sound! Now playing like him....well, that's another story! ;) :D

snarph
April 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
If you You Tube some of his interviews hes like a lot of other guitar players into blues and thats what comes out. I have a setting on my guitarRigg2 that I like to play Trower stuff on lots of long bends and wiggles and of course modulation

but like all of the other Hendrix flavored payers Trower is a one of a kind which I really enjoyed I think he was much better live then Hendrix was even if Jimi is still my all time favorite player most of his live stuff just did not get it