PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read (John Mayer)

M29
April 12th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Hello,

I ran across and thought you might like to read it. It is interesting to see one of the amps listed later in the article. It looks like a piece of formica was used for a circuit board. Hey what ever works. http://www.online-discussion.com/Tonequest/viewtopic.php?t=130

M29

Ro3b
April 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Lots of good stuff there. This bit from Todd Sharp jumped out at me:

Yes, if you lose the JBL’s and install the Celestion’s your amp will sound more “British” (Oh, behave)! If you put NOS Tungsol 5881’s in there instead of those Chinese 6L6’s your amp will probably squash and roar a little better. But beware! Buffer this and everything else you read about tweaks and tips with the fact that almost no one will be affected by this but you. The guys in the band probably won’t know, the producer will most likely say something like, “Sounds like a Fender Twin to me,” and virtually no one in the audience will ever come up to you and say, “Your amp sounds much better since you put the Mullard 12AX7 in the mixer stage, and you even play better for it.” I know there are and will be some exceptions to this, but my point is that most guitarists I know will eagerly spend 95 percent of their time, energy and money trying to fix something that might make a 5 percent difference overall.

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Lots of good stuff there. This bit from Todd Sharp jumped out at me:

Yeah but it matters to some discriminating players and Eric Johnson. ;) Interesting article indeed. The bit about Albert Lee, Page and the Supro was interesting too.