PDA

View Full Version : I began running, but...

elavd
April 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I am 30 years old and my job keeps me mainly in an office sitting infront of a PC. Although in the past I used to play basketball and some football, the last 5 (or more??) years I don't exercise at all...:(

Lately I decided to start running in order to loose some extra weight (I want to loose about 3-4kg) and improve my health in general.

So today, I went on a local park and started running...

Although I was never a smoker, after I had already run for about 15 minutes, I coulbn't continue running because I felt my breath running out and I felt exhausted...:(

I know that Robert is a runner ;)
So I would like him or anybody else who knows some techniques or "tricks" of how I should run in order to get maxim results, I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!!

Oh by the way...How fit are you ??? ;)

sunvalleylaw
April 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I am a 40 something athlete, and used to run competitively. Work and parenthood has intruded on serious running for now, but I still use running for training, along with road and mountain biking. Like you, I have my butt in a chair a lot. I can get frustrated because I used to be "fast", and now I just don't devote enough time to be competitive. But, it is getting better and hopefully I can help you with your getting started. I tend to go for one longer (over 30-60 minutes) jog a week, a warm up with some intervals (there is a track nearby that I can use in a loop, and do some accelerations and sprints, then recover. The whole process is under an hour), and if I have time, add in a "tempo" run at a brisk, but not out of breath pace, probably around a half hour. To that, I mix in bike rides, that are longer. I think mixing in other aerobic things is important, and helps prevent injury. Swimming is great, but I hate it so I don't do it. When I pretty much just ran, I got injured a lot.

Since you are starting out, I would think you might want to get checked out by the doc since you have been inactive a few years, start slow, and keep with it a little at a time. Just get something done more days than not, and a base will start to form. If you are carrying extra weight, try to drop it by adjusting diet. Extra weight makes running harder. Once you have a base, intervals and speed work help me a lot. I would also check out Robert's running links on his dolphinstreet site. He references some books, and discusses his training philosophy. He is at a higher level than I can reach right now, but he has really good information. Pick some sort of schedule to try to stay disciplined and track some results so you can see progress. But on the other hand, don't be too anal or it won't be enjoyable. At least that is the way I am. I think having something to train for helps too. You could consider starting with at 10k, one of the most popular citizen run lengths.

Oh, one more thing, run, hike, walk whatever in conditions that are enjoyable. I prefer dirt trails, etc. to road. Less pounding. If you enjoy it and start to want to do it, results will come.

Hey, by the way, my Dad started running later in life, and on a trip, ran around in Greece at the site of the original Olympics. He has a picture, with a big grin on his face! Have fun!

Steve

P.S. I have no credentials, but that is what works for me. You seriously should check in with your doc as you start to make this great change in your life after a period of inactivity.

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I run my mouth and jog to grab the last 12 pack of beer in the liquor store cooler. ;) I also play my guitars too loud. I'm hopeless.....

elavd
April 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks a lot sunvalleylaw for your long message and advice!!!

As far as I understand, you run more seriously than I plan to do.... My aim is to be able to run for (let's say) 35-40 minutes without stopping, and besides from that, loose my extra weight...

The extra weight doesn't help at all when you're running indeed. But I think that I should combine a diet with jogging in order to loose them

Hey, by the way, my Dad started running later in life, and on a trip, ran around in Greece at the site of the original Olympics. He has a picture, with a big grin on his face! Have fun!

If you find that picture, scan it, and post it here! ;)

duhvoodooman
April 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I run my mouth and jog to grab the last 12 pack of beer in the liquor store cooler. ;) I also play my guitars too loud. I'm hopeless.....
+1!! :D

Hey, Tone, all that fly fishing has to count for something! Walking a couple of miles in rubber pants is pretty good exercise!

Tone2TheBone
April 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
+1!! :D

Hey, Tone, all that fly fishing has to count for something! Walking a couple of miles in rubber pants is pretty good exercise!

Rubber pants went out in the 70s my friend! It's Gore-Tex breathable material for my waders!

You're right though...wading in knee high to waist deep water all day for miles is great exercise. Not only are you fighting heavy water currents but you're bracing your legs and feet underneath you to keep from slipping on mossy rock. After the end of a long day on the river your legs are sore much like they would be from riding a horse.

But I still play too loud and drink too much beer afterward. :DR

Tim
April 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I am 50+ and wish I could run. Forty some years of kneeling on aircraft structures have left my knees with arthritis and bad joints. I was never able to play sports with my son, although I did help with coaching and umpiring baseball and soccer.

Since I am now retired I have started to ride a bicycle around the neighborhood. I want to strengthen and loosen my legs muscles. I know one day my knees will need replacing. I just don’t know to do on or both at the same time.

Besides strengthen my legs I also want to loose some un-necessary pounds. Why did I wait so long to make a decision like this???

Well I guess it is never too late for finding time to exercise. Good luck Elavd and all who exercise.

Robert
April 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I wrote a beginner running program for a client of ours - see http://www.nahanniriverherbs.com/health-news-20.php

Steve is right - get a medical check up just to make sure you're ok.

The thing to focus on is consistency. Whatever you decide on, stick with it. Some people try for 2 weeks and then give up. What a waste. Expect a few months of running before you start noticing improvements, but at that time, you'll be so happy you are getting fitter, and the running itself will become easier and easier. It's just like playing guitar! Practice makes all the difference.

Here's another beginner program on my running log site - http://run.dolphinstreet.com/3weekrunningprogram_beginner.php

I recommend you sign up to the log too, since I wrote it ;) ! Seriously, it makes it easy to track your workouts and you have instant statistics as well. No strings attached - all free.

Lastly, get good shoes for you. This means you need to go to a store where they are knowledgeable enough to look at your feet, knees, etc in order to give advice on what type of shoe you need. Some people need shoes with extra support, some don't. These things will determine what type of shoe you should get. Brands don't really matter - it's what type of shoe (one that is right for you) that matters.

Have fun! I love running - I run every day now!

elavd
April 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hmmmm, I sure need some better shoes....

pie_man_25
April 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I'd say, just go at your own pace, say run or jog around the block once a day for a week, once your stamina builds up, try going for two, one of the worst things you could after a good cardio like that is stop right away, when your done walk it off, lift some weights maybe, but don't overwork yourself, also, 10 minutes of good cardio is a great warmup before working out! I do that every morning (except sundays) over the summer, then I work out. I have to wake up at six in the school year, so I can't really do that every day.

sunvalleylaw
April 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Hey Robert: those are great programs! I had not seen those links on your dolphinstreet site. As I try to get back into running more, I plan to use a lot of what you suggest. One way I used to like to do fartleks in a group was running in a group in a line, and the last person picking up the pace to catch the front of the line. I'd like to get back into a running group if time begins to allow it. It is more fun!

Oh, and then there was the one running group my wife and I ran with a few times before kids: the Hash House Harriers, who called themselves beer drinkers with a running problem! LOL! Someone ran ahead, having been given a lead, left a trail with marks made with flour, and the rest tried to catch him or her. A drink up followed. It was fun a coupla times.

Robert
April 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks Steve. Yeah, the Hash House Harriers are all over the world. There's a group here in Edmonton too.

For those who don't know, "Fartlek" means "speed play" in Swedish, and is a great way to do speedwork. I do this with University runners in the fall. I am one of the running coaches there.

tot_Ou_tard
April 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Hey Elavd good luck!

A little over 6 years ago I was overweight & hadn't excercised in over 20 years. I used to rest the beer bottles on my belly as I drank them. I called it my beer shelf.

When I decided I wanted to change, I knew that if I was going to put time into it that I would want results.

I had read that muscles are highly metabolic. That is, muscles burn more calories just sitting there and looking good that do other cells (particularly fat storage cells).

I thought that it would be best to have a three-pronged attack: diet, weight lifting, and cardiovascular work.

After I lost ~45 total pounds (more of fat, because I gained some muscle mass), I stopped dieting. This took about 4 months. I try to be sensible, but I really just eat what I like.

I have gained a little of that weight back over the last two years, but I am still in good shape.

For the cardio I started walking, I tried a 3 mile run with some coworkers too soon & my legs were shot for weeks. There is an elliptical exerciser at work & I prefer that to running because I put music on the boombox & get lost in the groove. I usually go at a quick pace for between 45 minutes to an hour. The elliptical excerciser claims that my hour pace is almost 10 miles and I enjoy every minute of it.

I always tell people to start my pretending that you "like" excercising, it just might come true.

I alternate days between weight lifting & cardio. Usually something intervenes so I miss a coupl'a days a week. I don't worry about that, it's probably good for me.

I am not "muscle-bound", nor do I try to be. I just try to stay generally fit.

My advice is to start slowly, but do a little more each time. It does help to combine weight lifting with cardio. In fact, I think the weight lifting is more important.

Everyone is different, but for me I far prefer to excercise alone. It's an inner thing for me. I have no trouble staying motivated. I am that way in general. I know some people at work that prefer to run together. They often ask me to run with them, but I'd rather not. I like to choose the time and pace etc.

For them it does keep them motivated because they know that someone will always come by & say "hey, are you running today?" To each his own.

elavd
April 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys for your support and encouragement! ;)

I would like also to ask this:

I've heard that the human body starts to "burn" the fat after 20min of running. Is that true?

If so, I think that I have to build first my stamina (probably by running for 10 minutes, walk for 2 minutes and again run for 10) in order to be able to run more than 20 minutes...

Do you agree with that? :confused:

Spudman
April 13th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Some pretty good advice here.

The thing I don't understand is why anyone would run when they make perfectly good bicycles? Less pounding, you can eat and drink while you do it, see more of the countryside and have a new hobby that you can have GAS in as well. It just makes sense.:rolleyes: Besides, have you ever seen a fat cyclist? and Lycra looks cool.:eek:

Seriously, it's already been covered below, but consistency is really the key. Many folks do quit before they see the benefits of consistent exercise. The pain you experience in the beginning goes away as your body becomes conditioned. You just have to keep going through this part. It is similar to a new job. The new job is frustrating at first until you get used to it. Then after you are conditioned to it you can get all your work done and still have time and energy left to daydream about fly fishing...and riding bikes. Same with running, it gets easier the longer you do it. Just stick with it.:D

Spudman
April 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys for your support and encouragement! ;)

I would like also to ask this:

I've heard that the human body starts to "burn" the fat after 20min of running. Is that true?

If so, I think that I have to build first my stamina (probably by running for 10 minutes, walk for 2 minutes and again run for 10) in order to be able to run more than 20 minutes...

Do you agree with that? :confused:

Caffeine will help you break down fat to use for fuel, but that only happens when all the glucose and glycogen are depleted from your systems. It usually takes 1 hour or more for this to happen and your heart rate must stay below 65% of max. Your body uses fat for fuel (A) when it's out of glycogen (B) when you are going slow and steady at a moderate heart rate.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
The run/walk method is discussed by some trainers, and is accepted even in marathon training. A guy named Galloway I think supports and promotes that method. Google Galloway and running. I think he has some stuff online. I think your method sounds fine. As far as the 20 min goes, that is what I used to hear, but my memory is knowledge from back in the 80s. I am sure Robert knows better.

EDIT: Here is a link to Galloway's beginner training stuff.
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

Be sure to follow Robert's links too. I signed up for his log and plan to use it this summer.

Robert
April 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
That's about right elavd, the longer you go the more you will burn. Don't get hung up on that though. ANY exercise is better than none. Your metabolism will also become more effective and you'll burn more fat consequently.

I am certain you can work up to being able to run for 30 - 40 minutes without stopping, just take your time and build up your strength. Key advice - don't increase your weekly distance by more than 15 kilometres per 3 weeks. Otherwise the risk for injuries is too great.

Definitely look your diet too - it is the key to losing weight, but of course exercise will assist weight loss.

A website I created that has lots of info about weight loss is www.nahanniriverherbs.com - I didn't write the content, I created the site. The weight loss section has some good tips though.