PDA

View Full Version : A couple of short videos

aeolian
April 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I appreciate you guys for giving our jam session clip a listen. At the same session the bass player brought along his video camera and taped our playing. Here are a couple of short clips:

In this first one I'm standing on the right. I was playing my Godin through the AD30VT.

First clip:
http://www.box.net/shared/vjn526fcgv

Second clip:
http://www.box.net/shared/bbpyc4lkzb

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hey Aeolian, thanks for posting! Nice mouldings and colors in the house. I love good, substantial mouldings. Also, I like the clipper ship print. I have always been fascinated by clippers. Looks like a fun time!

aeolian
April 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Steve, the house belongs to the other guitar player (seated on the left in the first clip). He is an-Navy man. He bought this old house last year and has been fixing it up.

We have not jammed at my house because I have school age children. We meet on Mondays which is a school night. My wife will not appreciate us making a racket while the kids are doing their homework. We may do that once summer vacation starts.

By the way, I live in Portland. I remember you mentioning your connection to Portland in another thread. If you come traveling out here let me know, we can get together and invite you to the jam.

aeolian

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Hey I forgot that! But I was thinking that the house looked like the inside of a PNW craftsman style place. I would love to stop by if I get over there sometime.

M29
April 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Awesome aeolian. Sounds good! I am getting very anxious to jam with others. Do you have any tips on how to find some people to jam with? I am not all that great but I think I can keep up now, I don't know if I should put an ad at the local music store or what. What would I say in the ad? I am not around players much so my contacts are pretty slim and I don't want to go to something (too far) out of my league. I tried out for a band one time on drums and it was really hard rock back in the late 70's and I had been out of that for a while by then and I just did not fit in and it was pretty darn uncomfortable:(

Again aeolian, it sounds good keep em comin!

M29

aeolian
April 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
M29, here's my experience. I found my jam partners on Craigslist under the musicians category. If you live in a fair sized metropolitan area you can probably find people to play music with. I looked for ads that essentially say they want to play for fun (and not looking to making hit records and touring the country in a year), and that their interest run mostly to rock and blues.

Expect to have to answer a few ads before you can successfully hook up with people as there are a lot of flakes out there. After I established contact with the people I now play music with we met over coffee to see how we get along and to discuss what kind of expectations each of us has in jamming together. One important aspect is who has the space that can work for a jam. After that we met for a jam. It only took a couple of times before it was obvious that we've found a group that can work and we have fun playing. One thing that is really neat about this group is that none of us feel we have to play loud. If we speak up a little while we are playing we can hear each other. We actually do that so we can give each other cues during a jam.

I see that you live in Michigan. I know there are a number of Craigslist locations for Michigan; you may be able to find a listing that is for your local area. Your suggestion of putting an ad on the music store notice board is also a good idea. Just like I mentioned at the top of the post, you should state your expectations, what instrument you can play, and what kind of music you like to try to play. I would also suggest having a word with the guitar/bass teachers at the music store and pass along word that you are looking for people to jam with (give them a card with your contact information). A lot of players who are taking lessons are interested in playing with others.

When I first found these guys, their stated interest is in playing blues. But now that we have played for a few months we have branched out to playing some rock and surf. Rather than just jamming we have also practiced songs that we picked. I'm actually thinking about having us jam to a basic II-V-I jazz progression and see how that goes.

M29
April 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks a million aeolian! That is some good advise. I am really looking forward to doing that. I really appreciate your time and help with this. I haven't really given it much thought yet but have been getting itchy to jam with others so this will get me off to a good start.

Thanks again. All the best on your jams!

M29